Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times

Advertisements

Based on current laws on the books, these states are right now the best for gay couples:

Massachusetts (gay marriage)
California (gay marriage)
New Hampshire (civil union)
Vermont (civil union)
Connecticut (civil union)
New Jersey (civil union)
Oregon (domestic partnership rights)
Hawaii (domestic partnership rights)
Washington (domestic partnership rights)
New York (recognizes out of state marriages for gay people and NYC has domestic partnership rights)

I feel the times are changing--with the current oldest generations fading away, and new ones cropping up. More states are bound to change their laws--making them friendlier to gay couples/people.
Which states will be next? Which states will be last?

My guess would be Illinois/Michigan/Rhode Island would be next.

Last would be a guess of Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, the Dakotas, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Next in line will be the states near or adjoining gay-friendly states:

Nevada
Arizona
Maine
Rhode Island
Pennslvanya
Ohio
Michigan
Illinois
Minnesota
Iowa

Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,890 times
Iowa's in a very weird place with same-sex marriage right now.

Last August, a Polk County (Des Moines) judge ruled the state's prior "defense of marriage" bill was unconstitutional. As soon as the news broke, there was a mad dash of couples trying to get married (in the one Iowa county that would issue licenses) while the opportunity was there....in the four hours before the judge put a stay on the ruling, only one couple got all the preparations in place--including getting a waiver for the three-day waiting period.

So now, there's one legally married same-sex couple in Iowa. A year on and the Supreme Court is still looking at taking the case, the state Republicans are still trying to pass a new "defense of marriage" bill (they tried last year, but as they are the minority party, they failed), and our Democrat Governor is still against same-sex marriage in the state.

So I don't really know where it's headed in Iowa right now.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Iowa's in a very weird place with same-sex marriage right now.

Last August, a Polk County (Des Moines) judge ruled the state's prior "defense of marriage" bill was unconstitutional. As soon as the news broke, there was a mad dash of couples trying to get married (in the one Iowa county that would issue licenses) while the opportunity was there....in the four hours before the judge put a stay on the ruling, only one couple got all the preparations in place--including getting a waiver for the three-day waiting period.

So now, there's one legally married same-sex couple in Iowa. A year on and the Supreme Court is still looking at taking the case, the state Republicans are still trying to pass a new "defense of marriage" bill (they tried last year, but as they are the minority party, they failed), and our Democrat Governor is still against same-sex marriage in the state.

So I don't really know where it's headed in Iowa right now.
Interesting...I didn't know that about Iowa. Very cool. I believe CA set a precedent though. The nation usually closely begins to follow CA's lead in a lot of respects. Hopefully this will be a pattern for other states to follow.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
I saw on the news last night that NJ polls show a majority approve of gay marriage by a wide margin these days so I'd imagine they're not far from have equal rights like MA and CA.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Iowa is surprisingly "nice" to gays. The state last year amended its civil rights laws to include gays/lesbians with easy passing in the senate and vocal support from the governor.

It was also one of the first states to extend state benefits to same-sex couples, also with no protest or challenges in court, and when religious groups wanted to amend the constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman, the state congress and governor gave a very quick and firm "no" response quieting the issue.

The University of Iowa was also one of the very first schools in the nation to provide health insurance benifits to gay couples way back in the 1980's. When Iowa did it way back then, it caused a strong push in Universities all across the Midwest using it as an example.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Interesting...I didn't know that about Iowa. Very cool. I believe CA set a precedent though. The nation usually closely begins to follow CA's lead in a lot of respects. Hopefully this will be a pattern for other states to follow.
Yeah, I'm surprised to hear about Iowa as well.
Massachusetts and Vermont started the craze, though, I think. California is actually a bit late for once.
Don't count on Texas joining the ranks anytime soon... or later, either, for that matter.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
If Ohio could allow gays in, I'm fairly certain that so could Indiana and Missouri. Missouri is actually surprisingly friendly towards gay people. I forget but somewhere in a poll that I saw it showed that the majority of Missourians did not really have a major problem with gays.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
If Ohio could allow gays in, I'm fairly certain that so could Indiana and Missouri. Missouri is actually surprisingly friendly towards gay people. I forget but somewhere in a poll that I saw it showed that the majority of Missourians did not really have a major problem with gays.
Well, it'd be a good thing if either of those states would change their laws. Slowly but surely I think states will jump on board due to more and more pressure from citizens.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:27 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times
A domestic partnership bill lost in New Mexico by a hair this year and I expect it will be passed in the near future. Recently some group or organization (I wish I could remember the specifics) named NM the 2nd most gay friendly state in the country after NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.