Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,612 times

Advertisements

San Antonio, TX has by far the worst drivers. They stop at yield signs, have no idea how to use a turn signal, and are just plain idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,456 times
I just read this thread and will say the following:

Chicago Drivers:

- Detest using turn signals
- Go well over 20 mph over the speed limit on expressways and some main streets (Including in construction zones)
- Are not as polite as you may think (Road rage is common and there have been some well-publicized incidents that turned fatal)
- Can be as aggressive as NYC drivers
- Will cross three lanes of traffic to make their exit (I have seen some near misses when idiots do that)
- Treat stop signs as yield signs and will blow them
- Blow through yellow lights (Except at the intersections with the cameras)
- Try to drive like bats out of hell when the weather turns inclement
- Weave through traffic

I have lived in Chicago for most of my life and know some of the emergency personnel that have to deal with the end results of some of these idiots.

Phoenix Drivers are definitely worse. They have some of the same things as Chicago drivers...times 2. In fact, the traffic reports on KTAR average 5 accidents a report. Not surprising when they don't like to yield at intersections at all. I have to drive like I did in Chicago to keep myself from getting hit.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM

32 posts, read 108,512 times
DC hands down. Try driving in DC at any time, pretty much every traffic law imaginable is ignored. People pass on the wrong side of the road with a divided median. Speed limits, what? Most people run lights, usually bc its too dangerous to stop. The traffic circles are our way of rooting out the out-of-towners. Ever driven on the Beltway? Minimum acceptable speed is 75, 90+ in the left lanes. If you drive the speed limit on any area freeways if traffic is actually moving, you will die.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM

32 posts, read 108,512 times
I'd also like to add that we in the District have our own version of slalom: avoiding all pot holes (there are MILLIONS) and cars that actually stop at lights, usually while doubling the speed limit.

One of the best is Rock Creek Pkwy: Speed limit is 25, avg traffic is usually between 60 and 75. How bout I-295 (Soufeast freeway!), speed limit is 50, people usually do about 90.

It's also customary to honk as soon as your light turns green.

Pretty much all traffic signs are ignored (i.e. no turn on red, no left turn, one way, etc).

Old 04-05-2007, 04:47 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo83 View Post
I'd also like to add that we in the District have our own version of slalom: avoiding all pot holes (there are MILLIONS) and cars that actually stop at lights, usually while doubling the speed limit.

One of the best is Rock Creek Pkwy: Speed limit is 25, avg traffic is usually between 60 and 75. How bout I-295 (Soufeast freeway!), speed limit is 50, people usually do about 90.

It's also customary to honk as soon as your light turns green.

Pretty much all traffic signs are ignored (i.e. no turn on red, no left turn, one way, etc).
If it weren't for the fact that the beltway is a parking lot at rush hour, I would move there in a heartbeat, lol.

I LOVE PEOPLE WHO DRIVE LIKE THAT!!!

~T

Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Cincinnati drivers used to crack me up -- They'll cheerfully slam on their brakes just to let someone merge onto the freeway or to allow someone to switch lanes. This, of course, leads to a sense of entitlement so that everyone expects other drivers to let them switch lanes or merge. Ummm ... it's not my fault you're in the wrong lane!!
Cleveland drivers won't move over for anybody, including themselves. Slow and brain-dead!

Quote:
Hee! So true, especially about those raucous Michigan drivers. It's such a rare treat to actually pass one.
Yes, but no Ohio driver has actually ever managed to pass a Michigan driver, so keep on dreaming hon.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM

286 posts, read 1,587,064 times
Michigander driving... I thought the posted speed limit the slowest you're suppose to go?!?!?

The *true* Michigan drivers 1. maintain about 15-20 mph over the posted limit, 2. are very good tailgaters, and 3. are usually pretty proud of what they are capable of!

A typical Michigan winter will yield adventures on the highway.. only a true MI native can gracefully hydroplane across inch thick black ice doing 80 mph (taking her easy, roads are bad..) while weaving in and out of traffic in their 4WD SUV sipping on a whipped cream topped latte. Most don't use their blinkers because they are passing you so fast that the blinker is irrelevent by the time they need it. And Detroit is a special treat... easily 95% of the vehicles traveling throughout the area have several dents, dings, scratches, or just general "war scars" along the driver and passenger sides of the car. They don't watch out for cars around them, they expect cars around them to watch out for them. Along 696 in Detroit, you MUST keep up with the pace of traffic or you WILL cause an accident.

Not saying we're bad drivers, we're just fast drivers. I have been in many other states - and while we all experience inconsiderate drivers, I have not quite found anything similar to the MI highway experience - which is jsut fast driving. Ohio folks take it easy (and you usually see MI plates cruising by OH drivers at some rediculous speed), Tenn / Kentucky drivers are moderate, Carolinas are moderate (watch out for the truckers, though!), and Florida's NE (along 95 - this area was previously mentioned) is real close, but not quite up to the challenge. I bet ya anything Florida folks would slow down a bit if you throw some ice out there!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Default Worst drivers mystery solved

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17964471/?GT1=9246
Magazine ranks Des Moines, Iowa at the top for safest; Columbia, S.C. the worst.

I knew they were here...lol

Old 04-05-2007, 09:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Today on the msn page
Where are the safest drivers in the country?
Magazine ranks Des Moines, Iowa at the top; Columbia, S.C. the worst
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17964471/?GT1=9246

Old 04-06-2007, 04:41 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,209 times
I have lived in Washington dc, Northern Virginia, Maryland, Rhode Island, Maine, South Carolinia, Florida Keys, Palm Beach Fl. Boca Raton Fl, Melbourne Fl and have been to a lot of other places including New York, nothing is worse than Tampa Fl. I have lived here on and off since 1966 and it was bad in 66 and of course with the population boom it just gets worse and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.