Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Here's a question to ponder.........

Why is it, some people will spend almost 50% of the time they are with you talking on the phone with someone else? Then, when they go see the person they were talking to on the phone, they'll spend 50% of the time with THEM, on the phone with YOU??

I say hang up the phone jack***, save your minutes and talk to the person you're with, lol.

-TT
There was this old hippie named Baba Ram Dass who wrote a book called "Be Here Now."

Nowadays, it's "Be Here Now and Then."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
There was this old hippie named Baba Ram Dass who wrote a book called "Be Here Now."

Nowadays, it's "Be Here Now and Then."
heh
I still have that book some place.
It was written before the concept of yuppie multi-tasking.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
PS: You have gated communities in Scranton?? Haven't been there for awhile, but that town never seemed like a gated-kinda place to me. What's it about, crime? prestige?
Well, Scranton's suburbs don't have many as of yet, but there are several in the planning stages. They most certainly aren't about crime issues, as Scranton has not had a single homicide since mid-2005, so I'd imagine the "prestige" factor must be what is sparking the recent interest. For an area where most households supposedly earn much less than the state and national averages, we certainly do have a lot of people who like to try to "keep up", if you catch my drift. It seems like a full 20% of the vehicles on our roadways are luxury SUVs, yet 20% of our population certainly can not afford them. I'd assume the same will be true for these new gated communities.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Default Paris Hilton & Alexandra Pelosi

I don't mean to turn this into a political thread, but...

Nancy Pelosi, the new Speaker of the House, has a daughter named Alexandra. She recently made a documentary film about religious fundamentalism. (Unfortunately, one of her main subjects got outed for his penchant for methamphetamine and male hustlers shortly after she finished filming, but that's neither here nor there)

She said that she was a believer in the culture wars, and that if she had to choose between Paris Hilton and Jesus, she'd take Jesus. Perhaps not too coincidentally, she recently had a daughter of her own.

I guess the point is that there's lots of people of various political stripes who aren't too thrilled with this glorification of rich white trash.

Last edited by Dedalus; 02-01-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 AM

34 posts, read 94,361 times
Europe is even worse. The governments there imprison people for saying anything negative about immigration. England will probably be a Muslim state within 20 years.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
We are still a free society we have the option to not watch stuff on tv or go to the movies. If you do not like celebirities if you eliminate the above two then these people become nothing to you. Dont like the war or polictics dont read or watch the news then it doesnt happen in your world.

Against strip malls and box stores dont shop at them.

We have the choice to what makes our life better by hurting these buisness in the pocket book or writing letters to inform them not in my neighborhood you might have a better chance than to do nothing.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
We are still a free society we have the option to not watch stuff on tv or go to the movies. If you do not like celebirities if you eliminate the above two then these people become nothing to you. Dont like the war or polictics dont read or watch the news then it doesnt happen in your world.

Against strip malls and box stores dont shop at them.

We have the choice to what makes our life better by hurting these buisness in the pocket book or writing letters to inform them not in my neighborhood you might have a better chance than to do nothing.
We DO have the power to ignore all that. The problem is the lot of people who get into other people's lives because their life is too boring or something. It's sad. They look at these entertainment shows because they think it's the perfect life and they want more. The rich and famous throw their money in people's faces and some people are stupid enough to let them effect their own lives.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well, Scranton's suburbs don't have many as of yet, but there are several in the planning stages. They most certainly aren't about crime issues, as Scranton has not had a single homicide since mid-2005, so I'd imagine the "prestige" factor must be what is sparking the recent interest.

I had to read this twice, as I am astounded by that statistic of no homicides since 2005. To wit, (and contrast) I submit to you Anthony New Mexico, an unincorporated village on the border of Texas (and Mexico) population 1200 (!), which has had 2 homicides in the past 3 months alone.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
There was an old Stagecoach stop still on Dixie hwy that had been used for many buisnesses and was just fine. Then they sold the building and some jerk tore it down and then put in a lot for sale????? What the heck?? I couldn't believe it!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Hmm, I enjoy TV but it doesn't rule my life.

Can't stand people like Paris, Lindsey & Britney.

Hate malls. Love downtowns.

As for urban sprawl. There are a couple of areas in our country that have put a stop to it and where land and, thank you, fresh air are preserved. But I'll never tell....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.