Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,829 times

Advertisements

@AZLiam

Great post. I agree with everything you said.

And, I wasn't poking a jab at SF's direction. I enjoy San Francisco every time I visit.

My response actually was directed more at MachineKnownAsLosAngeles' post that used teenagers/juveniles shouting "wessideee!!" and such as evidence of California's coolness.

I realize that my own post was sort of juvenile as well and also really adds nothing to the original topic, and was considering deleting it.

As for the original topic, San Francisco isn't necessarily praised on this board as much as you think.

Most of the conversation involving San Francisco on this board revolves more around well-known fact or at least objective subjectivity from someone that lives outside of San Francisco .

To say that San Francisco is extremely affluent isn't praise, it's a fact.

To say that San Francisco is a world-renowned city isn't praise, it's a widespread belief shared by people all around the world. It's a perception based on the unique mixture of density, urbanity, diversity, culture, amenities, etc that San Francisco has and people worldwide rate highly.

Specifically on the City-Data General U.S. board, you just don't hear much subjectivity when it comes to San Francisco. There just is no "San Francisco will have more people than Los Angeles in 2030" threads or "I'm not moving, and I have no real reason to compare cities, but I want to make a San Francisco vs insert city" threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Great post! I agreed with it all and you said it better than I could have. This was my favorite part of the post; so many people on here seem so caught up on "downtowns" and that is why I liked how you pointed out it's not all about the downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What makes a city great IMO isn't measured on how many buildings it has, but the fact that it is different from the rest. A city can have a particular heartbeat to it, and that heartbeat doesn't necessarily have to be found downtown. It can be by the ocean, in the desert, in the mountains, by the bay etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Slim,

Most east coast people from Boston to DC don't think Cali is cool. We think its different (not in a bad way)! People on the east coast have a swagger than cannot be matched.
right on...

another overrated city.....

alpha/beta/gamma/theta city bull**** lol

Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
SF is nice n pretty and got good good neighborhoods.
mean streets dont foster love or beauty or friendly. lots of CDF posters lookin for friendly people, pretty women, nice neighborhoods. its starts right here with us--- but you already know that don'tcha. plate gets dirty easier to ask for another one than wash it.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:04 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
pfft...all i know is dirty. that's a plus for SF. a good city is a dirty city imo ; )

Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
however, it's beautiful (not to say that east coast cities aren't)
East Coast cities lack the beauty of California. They are better known for their density and skyscrapers.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,442 times
wow, more city bashing..............

SF has style and character that is amazing. Every city has character and its own style. It seems like to many people can't handle traveling and respecting that.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
yea the east coast to californians is not "cool" to us...something they dont realize

california is "cool" to most east coast people

like when i was in philly in 2004...all these people telling "ohhh your from Cali?? how coolll" or driving through long island people saying "wesssside!"

if you told someone here your from the east coast youll get a "uhhhh ok?" at most
I, on behalf of most Americans, truly apologize to Californians who have to share the same state as this guy. Our condolences.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I, on behalf of most Americans, truly apologize to Californians who have to share the same state as this guy. Our condolences.
No need to apologize. They exist in EVERY state.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
No need to apologize. They exist in EVERY state.
They sure do, but youre new to this site and dont know the guy well. Just stick around awhile and you'll realize why I stated that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.