Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 13,706 times

Advertisements

And to clarify - The situation I'm talking about does not involve any ties whatsoever to the place you're looking at moving to.

If you were able to do what I'm asking about, how did you do it? Were you able to set up interviews prior to visiting the location you wanted to relocate to via employment agencies in the potential new area? Were you able to set up interviews directly with potential employers via the resumes you sent in?

I would really like to know if it's possible, and any tips for doing so.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:39 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Pennsylvania View Post
And to clarify - The situation I'm talking about does not involve any ties whatsoever to the place you're looking at moving to.

If you were able to do what I'm asking about, how did you do it? Were you able to set up interviews prior to visiting the location you wanted to relocate to via employment agencies in the potential new area? Were you able to set up interviews directly with potential employers via the resumes you sent in?

Thank you!
People in academia, such as myself, do this all the time. We tend to interview with prospective employers (college dept. committees) at professional meetings and conventions, and if we make the cut, we get invited to campus for an intense second interview lasting 2-3 days.

It's also pretty common for private school teachers to get jobs at places in hitherto unknown locales. Typically, prospects are flown out to the school's campus for an interview; there is usually no conference as with college instructors.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,427 times
I drove to the area, got a hotel room, and looked around. It only took me a day, but I realize it might take a lot longer, depending on what type of job you're looking for. My line of work can be pretty informal, so it might not be a good idea to do what I did. It's certainly a good idea to visit the place, and get some sort of feel for it first, though.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
My wife is a nurse. She has gotten a job halfway across the country a couple of times. Found a place close to where we wanted to go and filled out applications online. Had calls from the hospitals with-in a day so we scheduled interviews with each in the same week and one paid for our travel, one paid for our room, and another paid for our meals. They all knew she was interviewing other places and treated us well when we got there. Went home and went over the offers and made the choice. Happened that way each time we have moved.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
It's common to find prospective employers/employees at conventions that are relevant to your industry. I work in transportation, so various types of national transportation conferences bring in recruiters or contacts that lead to interview opportunities with firms throughout the country.

Other options are to look into what companies have offices in the geographic area you want to relocate to (and whether those offices perform the specific function you're interested in doing), and to simply contact their HR department and send a resume with a cover letter explaining where you'd like to work and what you are looking to do.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,706 times
Thank you all for your thoughts!

Lammius, that's a good suggestion. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,170 times
I am thinking of doing this maybe next yr.

Dont think it will be easy, esp if the market still bites.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
My husband got a job in Florida before moving, but he was out of work in NY. My daughter, while living in Florida for 4 months, got a job back in NY with just a phone interview.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving Pennsylvania View Post

Thank you!
Yes. My DH has moved our family to 4 different states, none of which we have family/friends in. These jobs that not only flew him out for interview (and paid for it), but hired him and gave us moving expenses each time.

I think the key is being very specialized in your career, have lots of network contacts in said field (and thru your alumni association) and be a great interviewee.

Also, my DH did his dues. He got a job immediately out of college thru a contact that had a friend in a different state. That company is a not-for-profit that relys heavily on small donations and volunteers. My DH lived in a 2 bed apt with 4 roommates, basically made hardly a salary and had no health insurance. He had that job for 3 years+. But it set him up for better and better jobs in his career. Each job has been a marked improvement.

Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Yes. I refused to move until my husband or I had a job. In this economy its just too risky to pick up and move someplace new and hope for the best. My husband had several job interviews with companies out of state. They interviewed him over the phone first and if they liked him, then they requested he come in person for a interview. Be sure when you do send out resumes or speak to people on the phone, mention you are willing to relocate at your OWN expense. Lots of companies dont want to pay for your relocation and assume that is what you want.

It would have been nice to have our relocation paid for but we knew that would be a slim opportunity. I do want to mention that sometimes certain companies would tell my husband the salary for the position was a certain amount, then we would travel there for the interview only to be told the wage was a lot less. This really used to tick us off. Two companies in NC did this to us twice and it was a good 16 hr drive for us to get there. We did end up moving out of state and I have to honest, I dont like where we ended up but Im trying to make the most of it. In this economy, sometimes its just about survival and not wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.