Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day you expect to stand on stable ground not surfing in your own house bc the ground is shaking bc of an earthquake....the brain doesn't even allow you to think right bc the ground moving just isn't logical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYC View Post
The one that frightens me most would be earthquakes because I live in the west. If I lived in the midwest, I'd be worried about tornadoes. If I lived in Florida, hurricans would be my fear.

It all depends on where you live and what is likely to happen.
I agree. Where I live it's hurricanes.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,237 times
Anything not covered by insurance.....earthquake, flood, mudslide etc. Imagine owning a house with a big mortgage that is destroyed and you have nothing left but monthly payments for the next 30 years but no house. Nightmare!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times

(these images are in the public domain - File:California fires October 2003.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia File:CedarFireI5.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Wildfires.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM

163 posts, read 376,593 times
Hurricanes aren't especially scary when considering the sheer amount of warning you get with them. If given a choice of which I'd have to risk my home and safety on, I'd say a blizzard, most likely. Hurricanes can be wildly destructive, but they won't take you by surprise.

Earthquakes are more frightening for what they suggest, rather than the actual damage. Very few earthquakes rise above the level of "spectacle" but the extent of destruction they represent, unpredictable, instant, disaster, is certainly scary. In practice, though, they don't get that scary that often.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times
hurricanes. i'd think more people are killed by hurricanes than earthquakes or tornadoes in america annually.

people are here saying hurricanes are predictable but they really aren't. 2 children have been killed so far in virginia from irene. one of them a tree fell on top of their house from the wind. you can also get freak surges, flash flooding, flying debris..

Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
hurricanes. i'd think more people are killed by hurricanes than earthquakes or tornadoes in america annually.

people are here saying hurricanes are predictable but they really aren't. 2 children have been killed so far in virginia from irene. one of them a tree fell on top of their house from the wind. you can also get freak surges, flash flooding, flying debris..
Hurricanes aren't predictable?? Jeez, we've been tracking Irene through the Caribbean and up the US coast for a week now, watching the forecasts predicting the storm's path, listening to warnings about evacuating coastal areas, etc.
We get a helluva lot more of a warning about an approaching hurricane than we do for an earthquake, a tornado, a flood, or just about any other major disaster. Good grief, we can see a hurricane coming days in advance!
I'm truly sorry to hear about the two children in Virginia who were killed. But my first question is: With all the advance warnings the East Coast had, why didn't people get out of Irene's way? There was plenty of time to do so. Those children could have been saved if the "responsible" adults acted responsibly and got their family out of harm's way.
If people follow common sense, there doesn't have to be any loss of life in a hurricane. I thought we all learned this after Katrina.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Hurricanes aren't predictable?? Jeez, we've been tracking Irene through the Caribbean and up the US coast for a week now, watching the forecasts predicting the storm's path, listening to warnings about evacuating coastal areas, etc.
We get a helluva lot more of a warning about an approaching hurricane than we do for an earthquake, a tornado, a flood, or just about any other major disaster. Good grief, we can see a hurricane coming days in advance!
I'm truly sorry to hear about the two children in Virginia who were killed. But my first question is: With all the advance warnings the East Coast had, why didn't people get out of Irene's way? There was plenty of time to do so. Those children could have been saved if the "responsible" adults acted responsibly and got their family out of harm's way.
If people follow common sense, there doesn't have to be any loss of life in a hurricane. I thought we all learned this after Katrina.
the hurricane is hundreds of miles wide. it would take you 10 hours to drive the diameter of this hurricane.

the chance that a tornado is going to hit your house is so slim it's ridiculous. we had an earthquake in va about a week ago. rattled some bricks but nobody was killed. i guarantee that more people are killed in hurricanes than tornadoes and earthquakes in america annually. do they warn people? yeah. they warn people to shelter themselves. the children who were killed were inside their sheltered homes that they were told to remain in.

the storm itself is predictable. but what it will cause in certain areas is unpredictable. flash flooding, surges, falling trees, flying debris. and it's not like a tornado where it's like a pin moving along a map, but something that is HUNDREDS of miles in diameter of the most severe weather you will ever experience.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 08-28-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,607 times
^ the worst side of a hurricane it can also create a tornado. So I say Hurricane is the worst

Old 08-28-2011, 05:23 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
the hurricane is hundreds of miles wide. it would take you 10 hours to drive the diameter of this hurricane.

the chance that a tornado is going to hit your house is so slim it's ridiculous. we had an earthquake in va about a week ago. rattled some bricks but nobody was killed. i guarantee that more people are killed in hurricanes than tornadoes and earthquakes in america annually. do they warn people? yeah. they warn people to shelter themselves. the children who were killed were inside their sheltered homes that they were told to remain in.

the storm itself is predictable. but what it will cause in certain areas is unpredictable. flash flooding, surges, falling trees, flying debris. and it's not like a tornado where it's like a pin moving along a map, but something that is HUNDREDS of miles in diameter of the most severe weather you will ever experience.
Look, you have to use some common sense. You're admitting that there is plenty of warning before a hurricane arrives....plenty of time to prepare, be proactive, move to a safer location. If I knew days in advance that a huge killer storm was likely to hit where I live, I'd get the heck out! No one's telling people that they're better off staying put. Evacuation is the usual order; time to pack up some belongings and head inland. You say it could take ten hours to drive out of harm's way. And that's a problem how? I'd drive my family 20 hours if that's what it would take to save their lives.
No one's debating the power of a hurricane and the devastation one can create. I'm just saying that no one need stay behind to bear the brunt. Get out of harm's way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.