Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
New York is a truly great city, but I'm not sure I'd nominate greatest ever (not yet at least). Rome, Jericho, Athens, Jerusalem, Beijing, Constantinople (err, uh, Istanbul), Alexandria (maybe Cairo?), etc. all have valid claims. You could also throw Mexico City (former Tenochtitlan), Tokyo, London, Paris, and Moscow into the mix.
ok tokuyo, london , paris maybe. tokyo can't be any more homgeneous..its getting better. remember it doesn't compare to the the sheer power of skyscrapers and street energy....londoners have told me that time and time again,. pariisans are stucku-up douches...so it doesn't matter....

constaninople? c'mon!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The poster said the greatest, as in the best. Not the most powerful. BTW is Egypt a really nice city??
Alright cool, I was trying to find some clarity because he said "best ever". Egypt was just "A really nice city" back then? Billiam I was on FIBA.com during the Olympics and had to hear about how America had no culture and how our cities suck compared to Athens; my post was just an acknowledgement of the Greats before NY. I still agree with what I 1st wrote down though.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
lol

Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
[quote=john_starks;5054295] pariisans are stucku-up douches...so it doesn't matter....

(OFF TOPIC) I have not met too many people from Paris (only 1 family) but they can't be that bad, can they?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:17 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
ok tokuyo, london , paris maybe. tokyo can't be any more homgeneous..its getting better. remember it doesn't compare to the the sheer power of skyscrapers and street energy....londoners have told me that time and time again,. pariisans are stucku-up douches...so it doesn't matter....

constaninople? c'mon!
Please don't think I was bashing NY in any way, shape, or form. My point was that it's not cut and dry. There are a lot of cities world wide that deserve to be in the conversation with New York for 'greatest ever'. I personally place a high value on history and historical importance, but I can understand if others don't. Constantinople was mentioned because it was the capitol of the Roman Empire and Eastern Roman Empire, and of Constantine, and has since served as a major political/religious crossroads, almost on a par with Jerusalem.

I've never made it out to NY, but I'd love to someday. It seems like an awesome town with some great people.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Parisians arent 'stuck up douches'. Their just very quiet and they are actually very friendly if you attempt to speak French to them instead of assuming they speak English. How would you like it if some French guy came into your store and started speaking French to you just assuming you'd understand it?

I'd say that Rome was probably the best city... EVER. New York City is probably the modern-day Rome, but it will never go down in history the way Rome did. By the way "douche" means "shower" in French so think of another word to call Parisians!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I'd say that Rome was probably the best city... EVER. New York City is probably the modern-day Rome, but it will never go down in history the way Rome did. By the way "douche" means "shower" in French so think of another word to call Parisians!
That's true. It's doesn't make sense since the French rarely bathe.

Before anyone gets pissy, I'm only joking. The few French people I have known have been nothing other than friendly and charming. They were also impressed with and supportive of my extremely limited French (a little more than "My name is _____" "You are _____" and "Can I go to the bathroom?").

Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Egypt was just "A really nice city" back then? Billiam I was on FIBA.com during the Olympics and had to hear about how America had no culture and how our cities suck compared to Athens; my post was just an acknowledgement of the Greats before NY. I still agree with what I 1st wrote down though.
Lol i was just being a smartas$ with the Egypt comment. You were saying all these cities and than Egypt didn't quite fit.And i don't quite understand what people trashing the US really has to do with anything

Old 08-30-2008, 09:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
truf
I don't know about that.
It has been estimated that Rome's population was in the range of 1.6 million people over 2,000 years ago.
If Rome, the way it was during it's heyday, existed now it would be like 50 New York cities.
It has also been a city for almost 3,000 years.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
How the hell is the U.S. and NYC the greatest ever when our society is not the greatest technologically that has existed on this planet???

The U.S. is a great country, not the best quality of life and NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world but not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.