Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times

Advertisements

I really needed a good laugh this morning and this post seemed to do the trick ! Thanks ! Now for a serious answer, my state of Montana seems to be safe for me, we are armed, have a watchdog and live in a town where folks keep an eye on the neighborhood and all. Stay away from bars, go indoors when lightning is happening, eat well and exercise, wear your seat belt when you drive and look both ways when you cross the road and keep the mouth shut when someone pisses you off and you'll stay safe. Staying safe has as much to do with your behavior as your environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:42 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,806 times
People fail to realize that the burbs or small towns are just as dangerous as majority of city neighborhoods.

I wish somebody would do a study of murders per capita between suburbs and cities.

My parents live in an urban sprawl exurban development of probably 300-500 people, and a bunch of back roads with widely spaced homes on them. This last summer a wife murdered her husband about a mile away. When I grew up there was two murders around there. A domestic murder in the urban sprawl neighborhood, and another one on another back road around the neighborhood.

Also you couldn't go longer than two months without hearing about yet another traffic accident on the dangerous highway this exurban urban sprawl neighborhood was built on. I sware every time there is another car accident on that road. I feel like I am putting my life in more danger every sunday I got to drive out there than walking around late at night in atleast 75% of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

The other 25% I feel are more dangerous walking around late at night than driving that dangerous highway to the exurbs.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:18 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
^^^ In our own city of Pittsburgh there has been 51 murders this year. In the suburbs there has been 30. The pop. of the suburbs is much greater than the city. Obviously the suburbs are safer and that holds true nearly everywhere.

On a competing site we have been tracking 2008 murders for over 50 cities. We used to track county and metro areas as well but that got boring compared to the cities and was dropped.

There's a guy tracking murders around the D.C./Baltimore area at burgersub.org - maps of murder and he lists cities, counties and metro areas in his data if you'd care to make your own comparisons/conclusions.

There are more car accidents outside of the city because the speed limit, etc., isn't so limited. The deaths from the accidents isn't enough to equal a city's murders.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
A Super WalMart is the safest place in the impending Zombie invasion.

Aside from the Zombies, the Americans that I fear the most are the police. So the safest place is the place where the police are the least likely to abuse their power. This would be a city that is small enough to have a relatively low crime rate, where the police don't feel overly threatened, but big enough that they don't pay much attention to people out of sheer nosiness. If the crime rate is TOO low, that might be a clue that the police have overactive imaginations---not a good thing.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
safe is anywhere where people think there is something wrong in their community and act on it.
unsafe is where people outside the community think there is something wrong but the people that live there dont really have a problem with it.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:55 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
People fail to realize that the burbs or small towns are just as dangerous as majority of city neighborhoods.

I wish somebody would do a study of murders per capita between suburbs and cities.

murders per capita in cities are almost always higher than the surrounding suburbs. I do not have the time to look it up, but i'm sure somebody has done this research. I feel much safer in small towns, suburbs than in an inner city neighborhood, especially at night

Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 PM

109 posts, read 441,365 times
Bismarck, ND is really safe, or else you just never hear of any of the murders or anything, so I'm gonna guess that it's just safe. I feel completely fine walking around downtown alone with nothing to protect me.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Wherever VP Cheney is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.