Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 40,556 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a nurse and moving to the US next year. I have been through so many threads and still cant quite decide where to live so i thought i would list my criteria and see what you guys could suggest.
I love springfield missouri but currently haven't been offered a job there.

Medium sized town within reasonable driving distance to airport.

Minimal snow fall...hate driving in snow so i guess that narrows it down to the south

Good bars where i can play lots of pool, possibly for a team or in tournaments

somewhere where there aren't giant insects..lol. i have a phobia of moths and general fluttering things.

and somewhere where there is lots to do and see for when my friends and family come to visit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 PM

753 posts, read 758,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree300 View Post
Hi,

I'm a nurse and moving to the US next year. I have been through so many threads and still cant quite decide where to live so i thought i would list my criteria and see what you guys could suggest.

Minimal snow fall...hate driving in snow so i guess that narrows it down to the south

somewhere where there aren't giant insects..lol. i have a phobia of moths and general fluttering things.

and somewhere where there is lots to do and see for when my friends and family come to visit.

You should be able to have a wide range of places to choose from if you're looking for work as a nurse. Fortunately for you it's a skill in demand.

The southern states would probably do just fine for you, except for the bug thing. In my experience visiting there, the cockroaches were something I couldn't get past. One place worth looking at is Kentucky. I was quite fond of the area around Owensboro. It's a nice river town, small enough to be manageable yet you're close enough to Evansville, Indiana to get in & out.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
How about a suburb of a large city?

Specifically Atlanta, GA.

Employment for healthcare professionals is plentiful and some choose medical sales--seems to be very lucrative.

North Atlanta---Alpharetta--Johns Creek--Duluth--Lawrenceville--Dacula-Suwanee--Cumming and all the way to Athens, GA--home of the University of GA is growing at a fast pace.

There is 'A Lot' to see and do here---the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mts/Appalachian Trail--good rivers and parks; too many places to shop and eat and entertain yourself or guests---lots of interest in all kinds of sports--sure to be some pool leagues or associations.
ETA:
APA/American Pool Players Association/Atlanta>>>
http://www.cvb.roswell.ga.us/attractions3b.html (broken link)

Not a lot of insects...some sort of annoying tiny bugs that swarm near the end of the summer--don't seem to bother most people but they find me.

Moderate climate. Snow is rare. Beautiful in the Spring and Fall.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-02-2007 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 40,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
How about a suburb of a large city?

Specifically Atlanta, GA.

Employment for healthcare professionals is plentiful and some choose medical sales--seems to be very lucrative.

North Atlanta---Alpharetta--Johns Creek--Duluth--Lawrenceville--Dacula-Suwanee--Cumming and all the way to Athens, GA--home of the University of GA is growing at a fast pace.

There is 'A Lot' to see and do here---the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mts/Appalachian Trail--good rivers and parks; too many places to shop and eat and entertain yourself or guests---lots of interest in all kinds of sports--sure to be some pool leagues or associations.
ETA:
APA/American Pool Players Association/Atlanta>>>
http://www.cvb.roswell.ga.us/attractions3b.html (broken link)

Not a lot of insects...some sort of annoying tiny bugs that swarm near the end of the summer--don't seem to bother most people but they find me.

Moderate climate. Snow is rare. Beautiful in the Spring and Fall.
I had looked at Atlanta GA as a possibility and will definately look into it further. Tiny bugs dont bother me but they find me too! lol
Thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Avon's 'Skin So Soft' is the best defense against these tiny bugs/insects.

You can now buy it at places like Target and Walmart.

Those who reside along the coast of GA apply it liberally each day for many months out of the year. They have some really big bugs there--due to the humidity. I didn't mind them--but there is a moldy smell that permeates boxes and paper--didn't care for that.

Roswell, GA--where the pool association is located is a wonderful place to live. Perhaps more upscale than you described but lots of interest in culture, history and the arts. Once the site of an old mill. There are many old mills in north GA. Lots of farmland here---being developed as we speak.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 42,503 times
Default Another Englishwoman

New York is a great place to live, take it from another Brit.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree300 View Post
Hi,

Have you considered areas around Seattle or Portland, Oregon? It rarely snows, very mild weather, and has enough rainy days to make you feel like home (but doesn't even come close according to an English transplant I met last year), but also they have absolutely gorgeous summers that don't get too hot. There's lots to do around both of those towns. Humidity can be REALLY oppressive in the summertime in the south, east, and midwest, so you may want to see how you feel about that before you make the move. Also, there's a lot more bugs down south, so you may want to consider the West Coast, as I think it fits a lot more of your criteria. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:48 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
NC and TN are pretty good AND $$$...

Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
let me know if you still looking for job.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euroenglish View Post
let me know if you still looking for job.
This thread is nearly 2 years old, just an FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.