Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:38 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I don't mean to come off as rude, but that is one of the dumbest post I've read all day. Almost every place in this country is vunerable to natural disasters. Should we just abandon LA or San Francisco when the "big one" hits without notice? Why would we just abandon a city with over 200 years of history which is part of American culture.

A better question would be, why don't we build better levee system, like the one the dutch have instead of having to waste tax payer dollars for repairs on the one's we have right now everytime a hurricane hits.
Who's dumber, someone like myself that purposely avoids living in a flood plain and high risk hurricane zone or someone that purposely chooses to live in a high risk zone?

Most of the country is NOT at risk to major catastrophes that can level a region the size of a metro area. And yes, if LA or SF ever get wiped out by a 8.5 magnitude quake that levels most of the high rises then by all means we should not rebuild. Now, if the State of California wants to foot the bill then I might change my tune...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 06:06 PM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Who's dumber, someone like myself that purposely avoids living in a flood plain and high risk hurricane zone or someone that purposely chooses to live in a high risk zone?

Most of the country is NOT at risk to major catastrophes that can level a region the size of a metro area. And yes, if LA or SF ever get wiped out by a 8.5 magnitude quake that levels most of the high rises then by all means we should not rebuild. Now, if the State of California wants to foot the bill then I might change my tune...
Well, that's your opinion, but most of the West Coast including Alaska and Hawaii are prone to earthquake activity. The Southwest is prone to drought, wildfires (and monsoons - much tamer than a hurricane). The Midwest is prone to tornados. The New Madrid Faultline covers Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Flooding could occur almost anywhere in the country. Texas and the Gulf States including some Southern and Northern Atlantic states are prone to hurricanes and potential rising sea levels. Yellowstone National Park (Yellowstone Supervolcano) could blow any day and take all of us with it (or cover us with ash). Although not likely during our lifetimes (never say never), New York has a family of smaller faults that could become active. A Mega-Tsunami could roll in from La Palma and devastate the east coast of the United States (not to mention any smaller ones which could affect any of our coasts).

Basically, any of us could be pretty screwed.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Hmmmm. Maybe NE Minn around Duluth or the UP of Michigan. Stable Canadian shield under those places. Not exactly tornado alley either.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
If we did abandon New Orleans, what would we do with all the buildings there? What about the Saints, where would they go? And what about Mardi Gras?
Just some news for ya the back up plan is for the saints to relocate to New Mexico..if things really get bad, but then of course nm is already considering another name for the nfl team which is still in discussion.. probably not gunna happen, and Mardi Gras..? who knows.. haha lets put that in a party city .. like Las Cruces hahha

Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Well, with that philosophy, Chicago should have been abandoned after the fire in the 1800s, New York after 9/11, etc. Every place has the threat of a catastrophic disaster, but we still live there. Name one place on Earth thats not under threat of a major catastrophic event.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Just some news for ya the back up plan is for the saints to relocate to New Mexico..if things really get bad, but then of course nm is already considering another name for the nfl team which is still in discussion.. probably not gunna happen, and Mardi Gras..? who knows.. haha lets put that in a party city .. like Las Cruces hahha
Dun theenk zo mahn!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Dun theenk zo mahn!
I think so man... Que Viva! I'll show you how to party it up New Mexico Style.. hahah

Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM

159 posts, read 532,080 times
Like previously stated, theres risks of natural disasters everywhere. As an American, and knowing what being an American is all about, we wouldn't let it go as far as to abandon the whole city because of a hurricane. Where's the American spirit, and the determination to beat the odds? I live in Virginia Beach, VA, and although we've never had "the big one" we've come pretty darn close. We get our fair share of hurricanes, and we are WAY overdue for "the big one". Hurricane Isabel (2003) RIPPED this area apart and it was only a cat 2. Theres some places west of here still suffering from Floyd (1999-ish) If a cat 5 hurricane barreled down in this area it would ALL be underwater. You can say goodbye to the outer banks too. If that happened we wouldnt abandon the city. I love my city, and no matter what city, there will always be those people who would come back no matter what because of the significance the city has on their culture, way of life etc..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:35 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
There's a difference between living in an area that may be at risk and one that gets continually pounded because it is in a very high risk area. The American taxpayers should NOT have to foot the bill of the people that are foolish enough to have their cities destroyed over and over again.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM

543 posts, read 558,358 times
Quote:
There's a difference between living in an area that may be at risk and one that gets continually pounded because it is in a very high risk area. The American taxpayers should NOT have to foot the bill of the people that are foolish enough to have their cities destroyed over and over again.
There are also geographic advantages. New Orleans is a port at the mouth of the Mississippi. If you don't see the economic importance of that, please don't divulge any more of your views. Not everything can be flown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.