Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 10,776 times

Advertisements

i have been reading these forums for months now and everyone is wonderfully helpful, but with SO much information and varying opinions, it is making my decision extremely difficult. so, if you guys want to throw out your opinions to my specific situation, have at it... i insist...

i am currently in cincinnati and it is definitely not the city for me. i just graduated from college. i'm in pharmacy so jobs are everywhere so that is not a concern. i am looking for a rather large city (~500,000 +/- is ideal but NOT nyc, la, or chicago). i am thinking a high or mid rise in the city, or a brownstone/rowhouse. i want a vibrant hip city (i suppose the word is bohemian). socially and politically on the liberal side. festivals, music, concerts, sporting events. friendly and socialable young professionals, not necessarily the "go-getter workaholic types" though (i.e. washington dc, no offense). any type of weather would be fine, but i prefer to stay away from extremes, like hurricanes, heat with humidity, or freezing blizzards. a safe and clean down town with safe and clean public transit. the more cities and places i can get to by car would be a plus. i would like to be able to stock some money away so the higher cost of living cities are not my best option right now (thus why san fran is not on the list). basically, i want san fran, without the high COL. i know there is NO city that has all of this, but the more the merrier

here are the options... you can say whatever you want about them. and if you have any questions, let me know... THANKS!!!

houston
phoenix
philadelphia
dallas
austin
baltimore
charleston
boston
seattle
portland
tucson
albuquerque
atlanta
raleigh/durham
tampa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneventor View Post
i have been reading these forums for months now and everyone is wonderfully helpful, but with SO much information and varying opinions, it is making my decision extremely difficult. so, if you guys want to throw out your opinions to my specific situation, have at it... i insist...

i am currently in cincinnati and it is definitely not the city for me. i just graduated from college. i'm in pharmacy so jobs are everywhere so that is not a concern. i am looking for a rather large city (~500,000 +/- is ideal but NOT nyc, la, or chicago). i am thinking a high or mid rise in the city, or a brownstone/rowhouse. i want a vibrant hip city (i suppose the word is bohemian). socially and politically on the liberal side. festivals, music, concerts, sporting events. friendly and socialable young professionals, not necessarily the "go-getter workaholic types" though (i.e. washington dc, no offense). any type of weather would be fine, but i prefer to stay away from extremes, like hurricanes, heat with humidity, or freezing blizzards. a safe and clean down town with safe and clean public transit. the more cities and places i can get to by car would be a plus. i would like to be able to stock some money away so the higher cost of living cities are not my best option right now (thus why san fran is not on the list). basically, i want san fran, without the high COL. i know there is NO city that has all of this, but the more the merrier

here are the options... you can say whatever you want about them. and if you have any questions, let me know... THANKS!!!

houston
phoenix
philadelphia
dallas
austin
baltimore
charleston
boston
seattle
portland
tucson
albuquerque
atlanta
raleigh/durham
tampa
I would go with Austin, Portland, Seattle, Boston, or Tempe (wasn't on list, but Phoenix area).

Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Definitely somewhere in the PacNW. Most likely Portland.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 PM

124 posts, read 611,600 times
Seattle or Portland

Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 PM

thanks for the response. these are definitely some of my top choices. from my research boston is the most expensive of these... so we will see... thanks again!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
houston-Eh. It's a good city, but you said you don't want hot and humid.
phoenix-i really like Phoenix, but mainly because i love hot weather and it's better than vegas. if you like everything new, you'll love it, but public transpo. is horrible and there is no urban living
philadelphia-i love philly. definitely keep it on your list. one of the most affordable large cities.
dallas-much better than houston in my eyes and a bargain
austin-job market not as strong as houston or dallas
baltimore-another of my favorite cities. lots of row houses and quite urban. keep it on the list
charleston-dont know much about it, but it is hot and humid, but has a wonderful historic downtown
boston-you said you dont want blizzards. dont move here. very expensive as well.
seattle-amazing city. downtown is very nice and it is a bargain with all the amentities. keep
portland-before i even saw your list, i was thinking "Portland". affordable, young, hip, beautiful downtown, good public transportation, etc. very high on your list
tucson-NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
albuquerque-eh. too small townish
atlanta-hate the city, but others like it. very hot and humid, public transportaions is not good, but the several urban areas would be great for a young professional
raleigh/durham-dont know anything
tampa-never been there, but my mom lived there. she really liked it, just not the weather. at least there are beaches for those really hot and sticky days. i believe ybor city is quite hip.

So, in order, this is how I would rank these cities for you.
  1. Portland
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Baltimore
  4. Seattle
  5. Tampa
  6. Dallas
  7. Boston
  8. Charleston
  9. Atlanta
  10. Austin
  11. Houston
  12. Phoenix
  13. Albuquerque
  14. Raleigh
  15. Tucson
I'm confident with my top 10 list, but after that, it's just kinda...eh...not really sure where to put these. LOL. Definitely don't move to Tucson though. My dad almost got transferred there and we looked at houses, but at least 2/3 of the population is senior citizens. Albuquerque only fits a certain type of person, and Phoenix only appeals to certain types of people. However, Phoenix is a great place to start off a life with the cheap COL, but you also lose many of the great amenities of living in a more structured city with an actual downtown and more historic neighborhoods.

Portland and Philly are definitely one and two, IMHO, and then Baltimore comes in at like 5. That's how good I think those two cities are for you. More-so Portland though. I think your best be is Portland. Fasho.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
houston-Eh. It's a good city, but you said you don't want hot and humid.
phoenix-i really like Phoenix, but mainly because i love hot weather and it's better than vegas. if you like everything new, you'll love it, but public transpo. is horrible and there is no urban living
philadelphia-i love philly. definitely keep it on your list. one of the most affordable large cities.
dallas-much better than houston in my eyes and a bargain
austin-job market not as strong as houston or dallas
baltimore-another of my favorite cities. lots of row houses and quite urban. keep it on the list
charleston-dont know much about it, but it is hot and humid, but has a wonderful historic downtown
boston-you said you dont want blizzards. dont move here. very expensive as well.
seattle-amazing city. downtown is very nice and it is a bargain with all the amentities. keep
portland-before i even saw your list, i was thinking "Portland". affordable, young, hip, beautiful downtown, good public transportation, etc. very high on your list
tucson-NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
albuquerque-eh. too small townish
atlanta-hate the city, but others like it. very hot and humid, public transportaions is not good, but the several urban areas would be great for a young professional
raleigh/durham-dont know anything
tampa-never been there, but my mom lived there. she really liked it, just not the weather. at least there are beaches for those really hot and sticky days. i believe ybor city is quite hip.

So, in order, this is how I would rank these cities for you.
  1. Portland
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Baltimore
  4. Seattle
  5. Tampa
  6. Dallas
  7. Boston
  8. Charleston
  9. Atlanta
  10. Austin
  11. Houston
  12. Phoenix
  13. Albuquerque
  14. Raleigh
  15. Tucson
I'm confident with my top 10 list, but after that, it's just kinda...eh...not really sure where to put these. LOL. Definitely don't move to Tucson though. My dad almost got transferred there and we looked at houses, but at least 2/3 of the population is senior citizens. Albuquerque only fits a certain type of person, and Phoenix only appeals to certain types of people. However, Phoenix is a great place to start off a life with the cheap COL, but you also lose many of the great amenities of living in a more structured city with an actual downtown and more historic neighborhoods.

Portland and Philly are definitely one and two, IMHO, and then Baltimore comes in at like 5. That's how good I think those two cities are for you. More-so Portland though. I think your best be is Portland. Fasho.
You are so uninformed.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM

jesse, you are AWESOME! this is exactly the type of response i was looking for. thanks for taking everything i said into consideration... very helpful. the only thing i didn't completely understand is what you said about no urban living in phoenix? what do they have in their downtown?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM

and i like the idea of baltimore, but the first thing everyone mentions is the crime, which i know from living in cinci can be blown out of proportion, but even official statistics put it at top 5 worst. i need to look more into this...

Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
i am looking for a rather large city (~500,000 +/- is ideal but NOT nyc, la, or chicago).----Baltimore! i am thinking a high or mid rise in the city, or a brownstone/rowhouse.-----Baltimore! i want a vibrant hip city (i suppose the word is bohemian).-----Baltimore! socially and politically on the liberal side.------Baltimore! festivals, music, concerts, sporting events.------Baltimore! friendly and socialable young professionals, not necessarily the "go-getter workaholic types" though (i.e. washington dc, no offense).-----Baltimore! any type of weather would be fine, but i prefer to stay away from extremes, like hurricanes------Baltimore! heat with humidity-----NOT Baltimore! or freezing blizzards.------Baltimore! a safe and clean down town with safe and clean public transit.-----Baltimore! the more cities and places i can get to by car would be a plus.-----Baltimore! i would like to be able to stock some money away so the higher cost of living cities are not my best option right now------Baltimore! (thus why san fran is not on the list). basically, i want san fran, without the high COL. i know there is NO city that has all of this, but the more the merrier

From much of what you said, Baltimore fits the bill along with Philadelphia. I love Boston but remember, it is very expensive. The other places you mentioned are cool but don't have the variety of rows like Baltimore or Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.