Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:53 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

Even if five million people left L.A. County today, there would still be six million people left! I'm not worried about Los Angeles ever becoming a ghost town. What has been said about only the very rich or the very poor living here, yes, I do believe that. The middle class is being squeezed out of existence here, and that's truly unfortunate.

I agree that baby boomers are causing a huge shift in population from the coasts to inland states. They're in their 50s and 60s now, and want a slower pace. That's why it's called "retirement".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 01:03 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
I work in the staffing field and we can't find employees fast enough for our client companies. Jobs are plentiful in Chicago for those who want to work. People in their 20's and 30's are still moving here in droves. They come here to go to college and stay or they move here from small towns. We still have a vibrant middle class, but Chicago proper can be expensive to live in. Our suburban community is growing by leaps and bounds. Naperville, IL, Joliet, IL and Plainfield, IL are some of the fastest growing cities in the country and the people that are moving there are middle class. I think Chicago will still be a vibrant business city in 20 years. We're home to some large companies; Boeing, Walgreens, Allstate, Abbott Pharmaceuticals, International Truck and Engine, Sears, McDonald's Corp, Sara Lee Corp, Hyatt Hotel Corp, AON, The Tribune Companies, W.W. Grainger, Ryerson Steel, United Airlines, etc. Jobs are plentiful, education and healthcare is excellent, there are good housing options for everyone, including the middle class, etc. We're still a huge transportion hub for the country and have the most extensive freight train system in the nation. Chicago will be fine.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
You are right ...NYC, Chicago and Boston are the cities of the future so they should be fine.

North American Cities of the Future - 2007 fDi magazine award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
This must be a joke...

NYC, Chicago, and Boston are booming. People who live there love it! I'd expect them to gain a million people in the next 20 year, not lose any. You need to re-check your facts.

L.A. is the only city that I can see going down the toilet.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,340 times
Mr. Tom Bates, the jury is out and you are classified as insane. No further comment since generally every other poster has beaten to death anything I would have said.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
C'mon... this thread was resting peacefully, buried where it belonged..... why dredge up a troll thread that had been properly dormant for over six months?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:24 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,845 times
I think you guys are missing the point. His idea of "collapse" is really his backhanded way of saying "comtinuing exdous of white people".

Please, if your going to be a racist sucmbag, have the balls to say so.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:32 AM

86 posts, read 499,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
Social infrastructure built for x amount of people when only y-number of people are around to pay taxes for it. People who leave big cities are ones that can, people with resources to relocate or the brains to have found opportunies elsewhere and the energy to pursue them. People with insight
and common sense are doing this at a rate that is faster then anytime in hx.
what the hell are you babbling about? go crawl back under the rock you came from

Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 AM

86 posts, read 499,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
I think you guys are missing the point. His idea of "collapse" is really his backhanded way of saying "comtinuing exdous of white people".

And if anything the opposite of white flight has been happening lately (ie gentrification).

The one group of people im worried about our urban areas loosing in a serious way is the middle-class

Old 08-26-2007, 01:30 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post

continuing exodus of white people who can't compete with low skilled mexican labor that is....

Old 03-29-2008, 02:06 AM

329 posts, read 473,039 times
How insane does he look today?

QUOTE=WallStreetWarrior;1358975]Mr. Tom Bates, the jury is out and you are classified as insane. No further comment since generally every other poster has beaten to death anything I would have said.[/quote]

Last edited by the point; 03-29-2008 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.