Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2006, 01:04 PM

32 posts, read 189,999 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Kings Bay, GA and I was wondering the pros and cons of living in either GA or FL (taxes, gas, schools, crime, etc). Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 06:24 AM

51 posts, read 335,569 times
I'm not an expert about either of those states, but I can say that Florida's taxes will eat you alive if a hurricane doesn't get you first. On the other hand, Georgia, especially around Atlanta is overrun with poverty and crime. Both have nice weather but a little humid. Have you looked into North Carolina or Virginia?

Old 06-22-2006, 09:27 PM

137 posts, read 739,413 times
The GA/FL debate: we just went through this personally last year. The good news about FL: no state income tax
The good news about GA: less expensive cost of living

I found most of Florida to be seedy and crime ridden. We have children and we always check for sex-offenders, etc in an area. Florida was FULL of them. Georgia was not nearly as bad. Florida has the most crime in the country (and more strip bars than I've ever seen too). Georgia's schools are far more supported and better. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. What do you want in a place to live?

Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM

56 posts, read 324,510 times
Hi,
Lived in NY, NJ, NC, SC, VA, grew up in Florida, and currently living in NC.
Can't say much on Georgia except I've heard about the crime and difficulties near Atlanta.

Florida is NOT all that bad, depending on where you live. Areas inland do not have to worry as much about hurricane damage. Just outside Orlando is not too bad. (Lake Mary, Oviedo) Lower crime - AWESOME schools!!!

Sex offenders are everywhere!! Try familywatchdog.us. They have them all listed by area. I've been told that includes smaller incidences like that of a 17 year old boy who got his 15 (almost 16 year old girlfriend pregnant) so check out individual cases. Some info is listed.

NC is not all that. I've NEVER in my life lived near so many strip clubs - and this is one of the NICER sections - a suburb - 4 stip clubs within a couple square miles. Open on Sunday too! The full nude club is two blocks from the elementary school. Like I said, I'm NOT Downtown.

NO state income tax in Florida - That is the best. Property is affordable in some of the smaller towns, but overall, Florida is more expensive as it is more desirable to people.

Check out schools in the area(s) that you are looking for at greatschools.net. Then you can form your own opinion!! I found a couple schools that I'm hoping to put my daughter into when we move back to Florida, depending on the area we move to. Grade A schools!

I have not been pleased with the schools in NC. I've met too many teachers that say they are not happy. Too many expectations for them. There is only ONE nurse for the entire County. I was a student-teacher, so I'm speaking first hand.

Anyways, I hoped this info helped and the websites are of great resource for you.
Laura

Old 06-26-2006, 09:59 AM

105 posts, read 622,286 times
Hi, I live in Jax and drive to St Marys a few times a month. This is a widespread area and getting more crowded daily. I would recommend living in St Mary's and going to Jax when needed unless you need to work in Jax. No state income tax is nice tho. You may look into the newer section of the Northside of Jax, Alta Rd, Yellow Bluff Rd-in that area. Good Luck!!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
It's according to where you are in either state, but for the most part I prefer Florida to Georgia. Here are some comparisons and contrasts. FL - pretty, no state income tax, nice people / GA - UGAly, has state income tax, mean people.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
I'm a native Floridian, and there's not enough money in the world to make me live in Florida again. Even though I detest income taxes, I'd still rather pay Georgia's income tax than live in Florida where you're nickle-and-dimed to death on everything else. Florida has become expensive, over-regulated, crowded, crime-ridden (except a few pockets in the Panhandle). While living in Atlanta isn't much better, at least you're close to the mountains of North Georgia and you also have the world's busiest airport in case you need to just get away for a while. Sadly, I've also found people in Georgia to be over-all friendlier than Floridians who seem to have become a rather surly and grouchy bunch over the last 20 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.