Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,403,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
It's the American way. I don't think growth can be curbed easily. People keep having babies ... foreigners keep immigrating to our cities ... major corporations in large cities prosper and hire more workers, who need to live somewhat near their jobs. Some towns are strict with regulating growth, but more often than not it seems towns want to encourage growth, which then increases the amount of taxes that can be collected, increases tourism and commerce, and gets attention. My grandmother lives in an old-fashioned town that is really strict with growth - it is almost impossible to start a business there, and new houses must be on I think a minimum of at least 2 acres. It keeps the town really nice.
Well stated.

I don't have a coherent insight to add at this point--thinking about what is going to happen this month next door to me--'Infill Housing'/that is one thing that is going on in Atlanta Ga--my Mother's tiny neighborhood has become 'Trendy/Intown'--and one aspect of urban development is the rezoning of this valuable land for homes twice the size of the originals. Are the residents happy about this? Some are not. Some effort was made to control this sort of development--but the bulldozers are on the way to take down the house next door. I remember growing up to the sweetest elderly couple--a brother and sister. Then a Norwegian family moved in...

I'm sure the new mansion will be wonderful. Those behind my Mother's house are magnificent.

Not one to oppose Progress and cough that is not what is done in 'Atlanta'. Many wonderful opportunities because of visionary leadership but--still there are some negatives.

The large house that was built last year up the street--twice the price of the renovated 50's homes--has not found an owner...

It will. Just can't help but wonder what next year will bring.

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,589,623 times
There is a great saying about AZ, "People here don't dust, they move". I was born and raised in NYC. My great grand parents built the house in 1906. I think it's more common for people in the east coast to stay in the same place and establish roots. I've been in AZ for 11 years and have moved 4 times. I think people move because they can. You can't move to a new area and close the gate behind you. Many companies have offices all over the country so it's easy to make the transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
This isn't really a rant, but it's something I don't understand.

Okay--people in places like California and Florida or wherever are unhappy. So they move -- to Idaho, Arizona, Nevada (for Californians) and NC, SC, TN, KY, GA (for Floridians).

No offense to them, I can see why they may be unhappy. However, isn't it just going to "spread" the problem? The other states will crowd, and the same thing will occur again--people will leave. Sooner or later we'll run out of states that are still "preserved" (there's few already).

It just makes me mad that this is happening without anything being done to curb the growth (maybe fix some of the issues in FL/CA/whatever and people won't leave!, and give the other states infrastructures to handle the growth more easily!), and people are still flocking.

It's weird. I wonder why people keep flocking? Don't they hear about increasing crowds? It seems like once people start crowding an area, you'd read about it and avoid it. Apparently it's not the case since people flock to an area until it bursts. Does anybody do research? I just don't get it.

FYI: If this sounded rude, snotty or immature I'm sorry. It's just my feelings.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:34 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,894,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Something else people don't understand is what living in California (especially So-Cal) and Florida is really like these days. I'm sure that Colorado is crowded compared to the way it was five or ten years ago, but it's still nothing like what Los Angeles is like. L.A. County has eleven million people!
Oh I well understand what California is like. I visit there (both NorCal and SoCal) fairly regularly. Have no intention of living there, though. I have met many Californians who moved to Colorado (it IS the American way) and realize what a nice change it is for them to actually afford a house.

BMurphy--it's like Sandyco says, to me Denver is crowded, but not to someone from California. Maybe it is as Merlin says, that people are moving there because in comparison to other places, it is more affordable.

North Florida is not crowded--but it is definitely discovered.
That's the way it works. Word gets around.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 PM

5,657 posts, read 11,211,611 times
Yogi Berra said it best. "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".

Old 02-05-2007, 11:04 AM

34 posts, read 94,091 times
Californians are leaving because of the Mexican invasion. The reason houses here are unaffordable is because the majority of our cities have been transformed into uninhabitable third-world slums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.