U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
 
322 posts, read 769,599 times
Reputation: 174

Advertisements

Boretopia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,602,926 times
Reputation: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Boretopia
lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM
 
2,106 posts, read 6,398,931 times
Reputation: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Boretopia
You continue to be one of the worst posters... I honestly have skimmed through your posts - you may have about 10 posts that are actually respectable and intelligent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
 
2,106 posts, read 6,398,931 times
Reputation: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The Confines of Naught.

There's a reason all the creative types/musicians/artists want to live on either the East Coast or West. Something about having an ocean nearby that reaches to another part of the world is something most in the midwest don't understand, or care to understand because they're programmed to be extra defensive all the time.

Watch someone counter with saying "well, this band is originally from the midwest". They always have a response for everything they don't like, the midwestern mentality is very straitjacketed, and I can tell you this having lived both on the coast and in the midwest.
Yeah since living on the ocean really matters in terms of reaching other countries this day in age. Artists and musicians move to the coasts because that is where much of the pop culture industry is located. The midwest mentality isn't straitjacketed by any means - if anything they are upset that people like you categorize the entire region into groups. The generalizations of the midwest is almost pathetic.

I seriously laughed @ "having an ocean nearby that reaches another part of the world." BRB let me go buy my 100 foot yacht so I can boat to England. It's amazing they have international airports in the midwest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,602,926 times
Reputation: 917
See, you just don't get it. The midwest is the way it is for a reason, and it will probably never change. Trends always hit the coasts first. Tourists want to visit the American coastal cities (excluding Vegas) significantly more than anywhere in the midwest. The midwest in general has always been going the way of the dinosaur, Chicago and Minneapolis are the only cities that don't feel as "midwestern" in the region, and in many ways, they still are.

Technically, you're right, with the internet, anyone can reach anywhere. Still, if the world is so connected, why isn't Indianapolis considered as cool as NY or LA?...it's just not, although with the internet, you can now buy the same things in rural America that you can buy in Manhattan. It's the mentality and the forward-thinking that separate coastal America opposed to everywhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
13,740 posts, read 22,665,722 times
Reputation: 14233
Lower-Canada. And, I mean this in the nicest way.

:-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,806 posts, read 16,295,321 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Still, if the world is so connected, why isn't Indianapolis considered as cool as NY or LA?...it's just not,
Another stunning revelation courtesy of the general U.S. forum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 37,542,729 times
Reputation: 16991
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The midwest is the way it is for a reason, and it will probably never change.
I hope not! I've lived on the Coasts as well, and I am here to stay. Did my moving around and exploring to find "better" and it just isn't on either Coast, but it is smack in the middle of the Country. You say how the Midwest and it's people are so straitjacketed in their beliefs, but continue to spew forth the same old lame untrue stereotypes of the Midwest that tend to proliferate the Coasts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM
 
Location: here.
1,359 posts, read 2,212,560 times
Reputation: 437
The best f'ing place to live...there nothing in the world that would make me move away from St.Louis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 PM
 
11,289 posts, read 25,111,403 times
Reputation: 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The Confines of Naught.

There's a reason all the creative types/musicians/artists want to live on either the East Coast or West. Something about having an ocean nearby that reaches to another part of the world is something most in the midwest don't understand, or care to understand because they're programmed to be extra defensive all the time.
Please tell me this is sarcasm? Haha...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top