U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,386,396 times
Reputation: 1238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I already stated that Fresno and Tuscon are within close proximity to other major cities. What's located within 200 miles of Omaha or Des Moines? Lincoln? Iowa City? Cedar Rapids? Not exactly the same as Los Angeles, Phoenix, or San Francisco now is it?
Kansas City.

However, you did say your SOLE qualification was a cities size, not it's adjacent cities, so, what makes them so much more city like then us?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,801,307 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Kansas City.

However, you did say your SOLE qualification was a cities size, not it's adjacent cities, so, what makes them so much more city like then us?
You got me. I didn't relize KC was within 200 miles of Omaha and Des Moines. Oh well, you still lack a significant population base to be considered a major city. Fresno and Tuscon, while not really major cities themselves, act as exurbs to much larger metropolitan areas such as the SF Bay Area, LA, and Phoenix. As I've already stated, there are more people living in just Milwaukee County alone than there are in Omaha and all of its suburbs combined.

Population of Milwaukee County
953,328

Population of Omaha-Council Bluffs-Fremont Combined Statistical Area
865,894

May I ask why you keep beating a dead horse? I could care less about Tuscon or Fresno just as I could care less about Des Moines and Omaha. Apparently a greater number of people must find Fresno and Tuscon to be more appealing than Omaha or Des Moines, or otherwise they wouldn't have more people living there. In order to be a major city I feel like you need to have at least 1 million residents in your metro. Other qualifications include an international airport and professional sports teams, all thing that Omaha and Des Moines are lacking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,386,396 times
Reputation: 1238
You said "City" not "Major City"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,801,307 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
You said "City" not "Major City"
Now you're just being ridiculous. A city in the most literal sense of the word simply refers to a form of municipal government such as a village or a town. Technically a city could have any number of people living there and still be classified as a city. However, as far as the American vernacular is concerned, city is synonymous with major city and major metropolitan area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Southwest Suburbs
4,590 posts, read 8,748,535 times
Reputation: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Now you're just being ridiculous. A city in the most literal sense of the word simply refers to a form of municipal government such as a village or a town. Technically a city could have any number of people living there and still be classified as a city. However, as far as the American vernacular is concerned, city is synonymous with major city and major metropolitan area.
Omaha is a city. Its the largest city within a 100-200 mile radius and over 400,000 people live in city limits. That is more than St. Louis and about the same as Miami. The only thing Omaha lack is a suburban population to balance the city; Omaha metro is less populated than even Birmingham, AL metro. And another thing you have to look at is Nebraska still has less than 2 million people in the state.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 07-07-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 9,386,396 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Now you're just being ridiculous. A city in the most literal sense of the word simply refers to a form of municipal government such as a village or a town. Technically a city could have any number of people living there and still be classified as a city. However, as far as the American vernacular is concerned, city is synonymous with major city and major metropolitan area.
Your the one who said this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. IMHO Des Moines and Omaha aren't real cities. For one thing, there are more people living in Milwaukee County than there are in Omaha's entire metropolitan region. The City of Madison is larger than the City of Des Moines and Madison also has a larger metropolitan area than Des Moines. Having said that, I don't really consider Madison to be much of a city either. You have to at least exceed 1 million people before you can call yourself a city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,677,208 times
Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. IMHO Des Moines and Omaha aren't real cities. For one thing, there are more people living in Milwaukee County than there are in Omaha's entire metropolitan region. The City of Madison is larger than the City of Des Moines and Madison also has a larger metropolitan area than Des Moines. Having said that, I don't really consider Madison to be much of a city either. You have to at least exceed 1 million people before you can call yourself a city.
No offense, dude, but that is the dumbest post I have read all night. You have fabricated your version of what is a "real city" is (like you have some sort of viable ****ing standards) and stated it as fact. wtf? lol, I know I'm late on this stupid comment, but come on.

Your trying to ride the coattail of a city that doesn't exactly have much of a coattail, bud. Milwaukee...really?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,801,307 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Omaha is a city. Its the largest city within a 100-200 mile radius and over 400,000 people live in city limits. That is more than St. Louis and about the same as Miami. The only thing Omaha lack is a suburban population to balance the city; Omaha metro is less populated than even Birmingham, AL metro. And another thing you have to look at is Nebraska still has less than 2 million people in the state.
So what? Cheyenne, Wyoming metro population 80,000 is the largest city for 100 miles and Wyoming has even less people than Nebraska, less than 600,000 residents. Going by your definition, I guess Cheyenne is a major city too.

This is my 1,000th post! God I'm pathetic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,801,307 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
No offense, dude, but that is the dumbest post I have read all night. You have fabricated your version of what is a "real city" is (like you have some sort of viable ****ing standards) and stated it as fact. wtf? lol, I know I'm late on this stupid comment, but come on.

Your trying to ride the coattail of a city that doesn't exactly have much of a coattail, bud. Milwaukee...really?
Obviously texting lingo must not have made its way to Nebraska yet. I began my post by saying IMHO which translates as In My Humble Opinion. Feel free to disagree with me but I never said my opinion was a fact. I simply said in order to call yourself a major city you needed at least 1 million residents in your metropolitan area.

As far as me "riding the coattails" of Milwaukee is concerned, you're completely mutilating that cliché. How can Milwaukee ride its own coattails? If Milwaukee is riding anyone's coattails it would be Chicago's.

At least Milwaukee has 2 million in its metro, 2 professional sports teams, and an international airport. How's Omaha doing in that regard?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,677,208 times
Reputation: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Obviously texting lingo must not have made its way to Nebraska yet. I began my post by saying IMHO which translates as In My Humble Opinion. Feel free to disagree with me but I never said my opinion was a fact. I simply said in order to call yourself a major city you needed at least 1 million residents in your metropolitan area.

As far as me "riding the coattails" of Milwaukee is concerned, you're completely mutilating that cliché. How can Milwaukee ride its own coattails? If Milwaukee is riding anyone's coattails it would be Chicago's.

At least Milwaukee has 2 million in its metro, 2 professional sports teams, and an international airport. How's Omaha doing in that regard?
Does the "my dad can beat up your dad" argument come next?

And Omaha is doing great. We are enjoying a 4% unemployment rate and everyone I know is employed!! How’s your 10% unemployment rate going for ya?

You enjoy your sports teams and your international airport (which is extremely hilarious that you would use that as leverage in your argument lol) and I will continue to enjoy my nice big home in Omaha and working for a rapidly expanding business in a solid business atmosphere

OHH wait…I almost forgot…the funniest of all. Text message lingo…haha, wtf? Master of debate right here ladies and gentlemen. Give him a hand!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top