U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,596,552 times

Advertisements

Debates like the above are why the Midwest gets stereotyped the way it does. I've seen even some of the larger midwestern cities use having more Jimmy Johns/Starbucks/Krispy Kreme as part of the "I'm better than you" argument. Other arguments, which city has the mall with more square footage, which has more interstates, which has more Home Depot stores, which has more proposed buildings downtown, which has a better art museum, etc. Just really ridiculous stuff.

One thing about midwesterners, they like to split hairs over the ridiculous for some reason. I guess there's not much else going on sometimes. The midwest is a nice area and all, but something about it, almost leads to a straitjacketed mentality in too many people that can't be brought back.

This stuff just wouldn't get this kind of mileage on the coasts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,665,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Debates like the above are why the Midwest gets stereotyped the way it does. I've seen even some of the larger midwestern cities use having more Jimmy Johns/Starbucks/Krispy Kreme as part of the "I'm better than you" argument. Other arguments, which city has the mall with more square footage, which has more interstates, which has more Home Depot stores, which has more proposed buildings downtown, which has a better art museum, etc. Just really ridiculous stuff.

One thing about midwesterners, they like to split hairs over the ridiculous for some reason. I guess there's not much else going on sometimes. The midwest is a nice area and all, but something about it, almost leads to a straitjacketed mentality in too many people that can't be brought back.

Clearly that was my intent to point that out the absurdity of the previous posts.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM

25,207 posts, read 43,105,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Does the "my dad can beat up your dad" argument come next?

And Omaha is doing great. We are enjoying a 4% unemployment rate and everyone I know is employed!! How’s your 10% unemployment rate going for ya?

You enjoy your sports teams and your international airport (which is extremely hilarious that you would use that as leverage in your argument lol) and I will continue to enjoy my nice big home in Omaha and working for a rapidly expanding business in a solid business atmosphere

OHH wait…I almost forgot…the funniest of all. Text message lingo…haha, wtf? Master of debate right here ladies and gentlemen. Give him a hand!
Ha, it's no wonder why rural Nebraska counties are declining in population so fast when Omaha has a great job market with a low cost of living The rural Plains will continue to decline and ghost towns will appear all over the place.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ha, it's no wonder why rural Nebraska counties are declining in population so fast when Omaha has a great job market with a low cost of living The rural Plains will continue to decline and ghost towns will appear all over the place.
It's been happening for years. Imagine what it will be like when the government cannot afford to subsidize all these private farms and they are bought out for pennies on the dollar and combined into large corporations.

Nothing like transforming the career farmer's operations into a bunch of low paying jobs. Good thing Nebraksa has already attracted a huge migrant workforce so we don't have to import any.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM

25,207 posts, read 43,105,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
It's been happening for years. Imagine what it will be like when the government cannot afford to subsidize all these private farms and they are bought out for pennies on the dollar and combined into large corporations.

Nothing like transforming the career farmer's operations into a bunch of low paying jobs. Good thing Nebraksa has already attracted a huge migrant workforce so we don't have to import any.
I think it is sad the way our entire agricultural system keeps getting consolidated and more commercialized over time. These massive feedlots, slaughterhouses, and packing plants on the Great Plains are really not natural.
I think that is why so many people are turning toward local agriculture, community supported agriculture networks, etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,785,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

I agree it's stupid to argue over things like who has more fast food chains and big box stores, but you seriously believe that things like museums, pro sports teams, and international airports aren't important to a city's image?

What I can't figure out is why so many people are defending Omaha and Des Moines in the first place. To me it's not splitting hairs to say Milwaukee is more of a city than Omaha, it's calling a spade a spade. Des Moines and Omaha are more along the lines of Madison or Grand Rapids, not the real major cities of the Midwest like Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
To me it's not splitting hairs to say Milwaukee is more of a city than Omaha, it's calling a spade a spade..
See, now you are fabricating arguments that never took place to begin with. Calm down little guy, Milwaukee is a fine city and you don't have to be so defensive.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM

3,120 posts, read 6,253,894 times
Wow... this thread really deteriorated in a hurry.

I think a better name for the Midwest might be "awesomeness." Out.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,721,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I've always been bothered with the term Midwest. It's not West and it's hardly even mid. Look at the map. Those are eastern states!

How about "Inland Northeast", or "Crossroads", or "Great Lakes States"?
How about "The states nobody actually chooses to live in"? Just kidding of course...sorta

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,596,552 times
The only "major" cities in the midwest are Chicago and Minneapolis, Detroit is also major, but not really midwest. The others are large regional cities, but calling them "major" is a bit of a stretch.

I've been to Milwaukee, Omaha, etc, nothing major about those beyond having some respectable size. It's always the 'big regional cities' that seem to have a chip on their shoulder and feel the need to split hairs about anything and everything.

When you're in a major city, you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.