U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 37,485,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Don't get salty because your state's economy is a joke, while my state keeps being innovative and producing sustainable jobs for people, feeding America and leading the way in medicine.
Actually if you spent some time researching things a bit more you would see that MN falls short on most of the things you listed to MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
FYI, you're not doing MN a favor by acting like a douchebag. You also seem to be ignoring the 800 lb. gorilla in the room named Chicago that trounces MN in every conceivable way.

PS,
IL, OH, and MI all have larger GDPs than MN.
List of U.S. states by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PPS,
nobody knows who Kid Cann is outside of MN.
Actually it would be more truthful to say that nobody outside of MN gives a crap who Kid Cann is. A two-bit hood who killed a cab driver, big whoopie, I bet there are homeless dudes in most big cities that can lay claim to more than that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM

65 posts, read 115,861 times
Quote:
FYI, you're not doing MN a favor by acting like a douchebag.
As a Minnesotan, I agree.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,598,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually if you spent some time researching things a bit more you would see that MN falls short on most of the things you listed to MI.

Actually it would be more truthful to say that nobody outside of MN gives a crap who Kid Cann is. A two-bit hood who killed a cab driver, big whoopie, I bet there are homeless dudes in most big cities that can lay claim to more than that.
You're wrong, nobody in Minnesota gives a crap about who he is. Actually not many people even do.

But, I have burned about a thousand users on C-D who they are some superior authority figure because they are 'older' in their mind because my username has the word 'kid' in it.

So, welcome to the world of predictability. You are about the 100th person that can't argue anythign in terms of facts, so they attack something stupid like a username and say "Yeah, kid". Good try though, buck-o.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
FYI, you're not doing MN a favor by acting like a douchebag. You also seem to be ignoring the 800 lb. gorilla in the room named Chicago that trounces MN in every conceivable way.

PS,
IL, OH, and MI all have larger GDPs than MN.
List of U.S. states by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PPS,
nobody knows who Kid Cann is outside of MN.
Sticks and stones man. this doesn't need to get all primitive. Let's be civil.

- Chicago Vs. Minnesota. Interesting. Sounds like apples and oranges to me. Chicago is a city, Minnesota is a state.

- PS, IL OH and MI all have much larger populations than MN. You may as well have included California too.

- PPS, nobody knows who Kid Cann is, unless you have interest in the US Mob and gangster history like myself

Back to the GDP thing...Those numbers are pretty cool, but let's base it off of total population....

MI-
382,544 (2008, GSP in Millions)
10,000,000 residents
=3.8% (not based on millions)

OH-
=4.0%

IL
=4.9%

MN-
=5.0 %

So it takes about twice as many Michiganders to do what Minnesotans can do.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,785,359 times
Quote:
Sticks and stones man. this doesn't need to get all primitive. Let's be civil.

- Chicago Vs. Minnesota. Interesting. Sounds like apples and oranges to me. Chicago is a city, Minnesota is a state.
Exactly. Chicago alone owns MN in every possible category. So, if you include the rest of IL, then it's not even a question as to who's the dominant state in the Midwest.

Quote:
Back to the GDP thing...Those numbers are pretty cool, but let's base it off of total population....

MI-
382,544 (2008, GSP in Millions)
10,000,000 residents
=3.8% (not based on millions)

OH-
=4.0%

IL
=4.9%

MN-
=5.0 %

So it takes about twice as many Michiganders to do what Minnesotans can do.
Math must not be strong suit.

3.8% x 2 = 7.6%

7.6% ≠ 5.0%

5% - 3.8% = 1.2%

Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM

11,289 posts, read 25,070,088 times
Quote:
First, why are you responding to a post that's over a year old? Did you guys just get the internet in Iowa?

Second, am I supposed to be impressed by your stats? There's more people in the City of Milwaukee (604,477) than there are in the entire Des Moines metro area (562,906).

Third, Des Moines is not a top 10 "business conductivity" center. I'm not even sure what that means, but I'm positive Des Moines isn't on anybody's radar screen outside of Iowa. As for having access to MSP, KCMO, Chicago, Omaha, and STL, so what? Small airports like Green Bay have access to those cities as well. Does Des Moines even have any direct international flights?

Lastly, would you care to post any of those top 10 lists that supposedly feature Des Moines, because I haven't seen anything that supports what you're claiming.
Wow! Somebody must have gotten dumped by a girl from Des Moines!

It's certainly no world class metropolis, but Des Moines still holds its own. Especially for being so easily written off as you've just proved. I never pay much attention to all those random rankings, but I've seen Des Moines pop up in many of them. It's a huge white-collar city for insurance.

A few random rankings I've seen:

Forbes: #1 Place for Business and Careers in 2010
The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Kiplingers: #9 Best Cities List for 2008 as a magenet for families
No. 9: Des Moines, Iowa - Kiplinger
Brookings Institute: #2 city out of 21 in the Great Lakes region for economic health in 2009.
Think tank lists Des Moines, Iowa, as No. 2 city for performance during downturn - JSOnline
Forbes: #1 City to Raise A Family in 2010
America's Best Places To Raise A Family 2010 - Yahoo! Real Estate
Kiplinger's: #7 City for the Next Decade; 2010
Best Cities 2010: Des Moines, Iowa - Kiplinger
Marketwatch: #1 City of 2009 for Business
Tortoise wins race for best U.S. city for business - MarketWatch
Forbes: #3 Most Livable City of 2009
America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com

Other rankings for 2009-2010

Moody's: Des Moines ranks 15% below national average for cost of doing business.

Farmer's Insurance: #2 ranking for Most Secure US Places to Live

MSN: #1 ranking as Most Livable Bargain Market

Forbes: Ranks in top 10 of metro areas for Best Mid-Sized Cities for Jobs

National Geographic: #3 ranking for Where to Live and Play Now. #1 city to Go Green.

CNN Money: Metro ranks in top 10 for Best Places to Launch a Small Business for mid-sized metros.

MainStreet.com: Iowa ranks #2 "happiest state" in terms of financial stability, unemployment, mortgage rates and foreclosure.

Forbes: #5 ranking for Cities Where Americans are Getting Richer in terms of income and education levels of the workforce.

http://www.desmoinesmetro.com/pdfs/O...esRankings.pdf

The city is currently in the top 10% of US Metro areas for having the lowest unemployment rate.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,785,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Wow! Somebody must have gotten dumped by a girl from Des Moines!

It's certainly no world class metropolis, but Des Moines still holds its own. Especially for being so easily written off as you've just proved. I never pay much attention to all those random rankings, but I've seen Des Moines pop up in many of them. It's a huge white-collar city for insurance.

A few random rankings I've seen:

Forbes: #1 Place for Business and Careers in 2010
The Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Kiplingers: #9 Best Cities List for 2008 as a magenet for families
No. 9: Des Moines, Iowa - Kiplinger
Brookings Institute: #2 city out of 21 in the Great Lakes region for economic health in 2009.
Think tank lists Des Moines, Iowa, as No. 2 city for performance during downturn - JSOnline
Forbes: #1 City to Raise A Family in 2010
America's Best Places To Raise A Family 2010 - Yahoo! Real Estate
Kiplinger's: #7 City for the Next Decade; 2010
Best Cities 2010: Des Moines, Iowa - Kiplinger
Marketwatch: #1 City of 2009 for Business
Tortoise wins race for best U.S. city for business - MarketWatch
Forbes: #3 Most Livable City of 2009
America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com

Other rankings for 2009-2010

Moody's: Des Moines ranks 15% below national average for cost of doing business.

Farmer's Insurance: #2 ranking for Most Secure US Places to Live

MSN: #1 ranking as Most Livable Bargain Market

Forbes: Ranks in top 10 of metro areas for Best Mid-Sized Cities for Jobs

National Geographic: #3 ranking for Where to Live and Play Now. #1 city to Go Green.

CNN Money: Metro ranks in top 10 for Best Places to Launch a Small Business for mid-sized metros.

MainStreet.com: Iowa ranks #2 "happiest state" in terms of financial stability, unemployment, mortgage rates and foreclosure.

Forbes: #5 ranking for Cities Where Americans are Getting Richer in terms of income and education levels of the workforce.

http://www.desmoinesmetro.com/pdfs/O...esRankings.pdf

The city is currently in the top 10% of US Metro areas for having the lowest unemployment rate.
Whatever. I'm quite familiar with Des Moines, my roommate in Denver of 3 years was from West Des Moines. I've been through the area many times and there's nothing special about it IMO. "Best place to raise a family" sounds like my worst nightmare. The coolest thing in the whole city is that giant strip club where you can BYOB called the Lumberyard. Iowa City is cooler than Des Moines, but neither compare to Madison or Milwaukee.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Chicago alone owns MN in every possible category. So, if you include the rest of IL, then it's not even a question as to who's the dominant state in the Midwest.

Math must not be strong suit.

3.8% x 2 = 7.6%

7.6% ≠ 5.0%

5% - 3.8% = 1.2%

Ok, ok, maybe about.... lol....

No, I really wouldn't say 'Chicago' alone, but it is true that the Midwest literally feeds America. Minnesota is one of the top agriculture producing states, behind Illinois.

Corn
MN #4, IL #2

Soybean
MN #3, IL #2

Weat
MN #9, IL not top ten

Dairy
MN #5, IL not top ten

Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,817,583 times
You know, because of Michigan's High Muslim population, Middle East would be fitting

Either that or The Great Lakes, or the "Big Ten states"

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 37,485,280 times
Quote:
You're wrong, nobody in Minnesota gives a crap about who he is. Actually not many people even do.

But, I have burned about a thousand users on C-D who they are some superior authority figure because they are 'older' in their mind because my username has the word 'kid' in it.

So, welcome to the world of predictability. You are about the 100th person that can't argue anythign in terms of facts, so they attack something stupid like a username and say "Yeah, kid". Good try though, buck-o.
I've NEVER called you "kid", or argued anything based on your user name. Get your complaints right. Even the post you quoted with these complaints didn't come close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.