Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this law be enacted in other cities?
Yes 22 78.57%
No 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,978 times

Advertisements

Actually it isn't an anti-panhandling law. It's more of an anti-agressive panhandling law. Anyway, here is the article that states what type of panhandling is illegal in Minneapolis:

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/poli...anhandling.asp

And here is what it says, just in case the link doesn't work:

Minneapolis City Ordinance 385.60 defines Aggressive Solicitation as:
Verbal requests for money or an item or offering an item or service of little value for a donation in the following locations:
  • Restroom
  • Within 10 feet in any direction from a crosswalk
  • Public transportation vehicle or facility
  • On any park land, playground or public entertainment venue, including within 50 feet of entry or exits
  • Bus or Light Rail stop or shelter
  • Parked/stopped vehicle
  • Sidewalk café
  • Entrance of commercial or government building
  • Within 80 feet in any direction from an ATM or financial institution (previous distance was 20 feet)
  • At or within 10 feet of gas station, liquor store, or convenience store property
And in the following way:
  • Involving physical contact
  • Blocking path/entrance
  • Following a person who said “no” to ask again
  • Using obscene/profane/abusive language
  • Creating fear of bodily harm
  • Threatening criminal act upon property
  • Intimidating to person
  • While under influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Soliciting in a group of two or more
  • Soliciting after sunset or before sunrise
If you are confronted by an aggressive panhandler, what should you do?
  • Call 9-1-1, tell a cop
  • Don’t give money to panhandlers: Politely say “no”

Not all panhandlers are homeless-many may make up stories to get money to use for drugs or alcohol; when you take out your wallet or purse, you’re more likely to be a victim of a crime
  • Give money where it will make a difference

Give money to a charity that makes help available to people in need

For more information: www.minneapolissafezone.org/minneapolis/default.aspx (broken link) or call 311
Remember, aggressive panhandling does NOT include:
standing passively, sitting or performance art or a sign or other indication that a donation is being sought, without any vocal request other than in response to an inquiry by another person.

Basically, panhandling isn't as aggressive in Minneapolis as in many other cities. Panhandlers will just shake their change jars or now busking has increased. I've also seen a decrease in panhandlers in general because the government keeps urging people not to give to these people. What do you think? Should that law be adopted in other cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
seems like pretty fair legislation - I went from Philly to Mpls and have to say that the level of panhandling there was a lot more polite and a lot less frequent than what I had grown accustomed to

it was also a lot more straightforward - the few times I was hit up it was more of a "hey, can I have a buck?" as opposed to the more elaborate story telling approach you'd get in philly

Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Looks like Chicago's law, although the pandhandlers tend to ignore it. Police are normally busy doing "more important" things, and it's not like the panhandlers are going to pay a fine.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
No. The poor are already criminalized enough in this country. Soon it will be a crime to be homeless.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Yes.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Looks like Chicago's law, although the pandhandlers tend to ignore it. Police are normally busy doing "more important" things, and it's not like the panhandlers are going to pay a fine.
If Chicago has a law like that then it's a good thing. Hopefully the council members will try to find a way to make people more aware of it. On the Chicago forum whenever panhandling comes up there is never a shortage of people complaining about it and giving stories about negative experiences. Maybe if they voiced their concerns more to the city council than on internet forums the police would take more notice of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
No. The poor are already criminalized enough in this country. Soon it will be a crime to be homeless.
I said panhandlers, not homeless. You can be homeless and not panhandle, and you can be with a home and panhandle.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
it could be a good idea. If Chicago really has some laws than WOW. They should tighten it up. I was amazed how aggressive they were, even afraid

Old 09-08-2008, 05:46 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
In theory it sounds okay, but if there's a large number of people who do this, then the police will have their hands full trying to enforce this law, instead of other things that might be more important. On the other hand, (I haven't been there yet, so maybe I'm wrong) Minneapolis doesn't strike me as a place with excessive panhandlers. If it's anything like KC, there's not a whole lot of them out there. So a law might work out okay.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
SF I think has the worst panhandling situation in the country. Its ridiculous. Just yesterday I was pulling out of my office building downtown and this idiot hurls himself in front of my car and tells me to give him money. I try to turn the car in another direction but he moves wherever I turn. Finally I get out and scream obsenities at him and hand him a dollar bill(LOL)

Anyway,
this is unacceptable but in San Francisco, its become an everyday occurence-several times a day. People here are torn about what to do.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I've usually assumed most cities have laws similar to those outlined by the OP. Whether there's any observance or enforcement in a given city is another question. SF is home of the most aggressive panhandlers I've ever seen in any city in any country I've ever visited. Harassment that gets physical. It's crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.