Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times

Advertisements

Over a month ago I made an payment to a department store credit card. I made the payment in the store at one of the registers. I wrote a check. The same day I also wrote another check. One week later the second check cleared my bank account but the payment check I wrote still has not cleared. I called the Credit card company and they said the funds had been posted to the account. They advice me to wait for another few days. Now it has been a month and the check has not cleared yet. I have made another payment sense then to the same credit card at the store and it also cleared the bank. Yesterday I called the department store credit department again and explained for them my concerns. They said it sounded odd but it looks fine on their end. They would however make a note on my account. Well. I am not going to have my check floating around, who knows were, so I stopped payment it.
What happened here. At what point of time is the credit card company going to realize they never got the funds from my bank account? How many weeks or months? They insist on that they have the funds so what now? Do I really need to do anything more. Is it really still my responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Yes, it's absolutely your responsibility. You need to talk to the credit card company and advise them that even though they have credited your account, that you stopped payment because the check hadn't cleared your account. It may be that the check was charged to another account at the bank, and that that error hasn't been discovered or corrected yet. When it does, the check will be returned to the credit card company and your account debited, plus you might be charged with a late payment. So I would advise calling them to tell them what has occurred, and then following that conversation up with a letter, citing who you spoke to and what was said, and in that letter enclosing a check for the payment that you stopped.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:16 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Agree with DC 100%. Your conversations with the CC company are worthless unless you have some written record that they took place. You don't want your credit score to get screwed up because of this mistake.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Agree with DC 100%. Your conversations with the CC company are worthless unless you have some written record that they took place. You don't want your credit score to get screwed up because of this mistake.

Yes, you guys are right. I just don't know how it could have been deducted from some other persons account. I will call them again and tell them that I now stopped the payment and to charge me back. I was never owe them the payment I made so I don't think they will charge me a late fee but I don't want it to become one either so I better take care of it right of way.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.