Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,242,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I didn't know upstate NY was a big city
Are you talking about places like Buffalo or Syracuse and the schools in those cities. Remember, this is big city schools, not just anywhere.
LOL. I meant every city up there has good schools. IDK about Buffalo, but I know Rochester, Syracuse, and I believe Albany had pretty good schools. Based on the fact that most other Upstate NY cities have good schools, Buffalo probably does too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
just curious who are the best. Chicago, NYC, DC, Detroit are usually the worst, wanted to know the best. Is the term "Best" relative?

Are NYC's really bad? I guess I don't know, but for some reason I thought it wasn't actually too bad concidering how large the city is, and the rep the schools get.

Yes though, overall Chicago's is a train wreck. Actually much better than in the past, but unfortunately the infrastructure is what's been rebuilt, but its hard to improve the human capital when the neighborhood structure in the areas of the city which house children who go to public instead of private are all quite bad. Most kids on the north side go to private school. Although just like the city is a community of 50 very distinct neighborhoods, the schools in the city vary GREATLY.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM

91,954 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LOL. I meant every city up there has good schools. IDK about Buffalo, but I know Rochester, Syracuse, and I believe Albany had pretty good schools. Based on the fact that most other Upstate NY cities have good schools, Buffalo probably does too.
Buffalo does have some good schools. It's City Honors HS is one of the best HS's in the country. Also, Hutchinson Central Technical is another very good HS. Even with most of the other ones, you can still get a good education in spite of what some stats say. They also have a magnet type of school system as well with Vocational, Arts and Technical HS's too.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,120,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Aldine is a pretty good school district. Houston ISD is so bad that the other school districts in the area appear to be outstanding in comparison. Private schooling is a blessing to alot of people in inner Houston.
Are you kidding me?!?!

Schools like Eisenhower, MacArthur and Nimitz over Bellaire, HSPVA, Lamar, DeBakey and Westside? Aldine is a terrible ISD. The problem with HISD is that the school district is so large, you have to be zoned to the right places and the district doesn't take the required steps to improve the schools that need help the most.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,955,284 times
APS (Albuquerque Public Schools), is getting better, way better than what it was.. most of the APS schools are getting renovations and new construction.. pretty nice, i think one thing APS cant keep up with is Albuquerque's Growth on the west side.. every time they build a new high school or elementary school they have to build another.. instead of proper planning it gets sloppy.. Cibola High School was the biggest high school for awhile, holding over 3,200 students for a school that was build to fit only 2,000, it was getting so bad they put portibles everywhere until APS snaped and built Volcano Vista and Atrisco Heritage, AHHS is already overcrowded and hasnt even opened funny story to that.. Rio Rancho HS in the (the city of vision) on the other hand remains the States largest high school with 4,000+ students and the construction of the new High School is off track.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,845,405 times
There are some amazing public schools in NYC. You have to be lucky enough to be zoned for the better ones in the elementary years. The best middle and high schools are for the brightest students. I feel bad for families that live in the wrong zone or do not have gifted children. We are lucky enough to be in a great zone. If not, we would have had to leave the city or pay for private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.