Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,539,384 times

Advertisements

This is what I like.

I like 4 seasons. I like snow but hate ice as it gets old driving in it and for work I drive A LOT.

I love the spring and fall, but I don't really care much for the summer.

Basically what Im saying is, I want somewhere with EXTENDED fall and spring temps (these temps could range from mid 50's to 80's as an example), minimal amount of 90+ days in the summer, and a winter that gets snow but I won't feel like I am stuck in the house day after day due to Ice.

Can ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Is anywhere in Michigan, Pennsylvania or New York anything close to this? By New York, I mean the western areas like Buffalo. Or would I be looking at areas such as West Virginia, lower Ohio, Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Coastal areas of the Pacific NW would most closely resemble the kind of area you desire.
Some areas of central Indiana, southwestern PA and SE Ohio might also come close.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Coastal areas of the Pacific NW would most closely resemble the kind of area you desire.
Some areas of central Indiana, southwestern PA and SE Ohio might also come close.
I am really trying to avoid going out west as East is much closer to my family and my wife's family.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
This is what I like.

I like 4 seasons. I like snow but hate ice as it gets old driving in it and for work I drive A LOT.

Basically what Im saying is, I want somewhere with EXTENDED fall and spring temps (these temps could range from mid 50's to 80's as an example), minimal amount of 90+ days in the summer, and a winter that gets snow but I won't feel like I am stuck in the house day after day due to Ice.

Can ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Is anywhere in Michigan, Pennsylvania or New York anything close to this? By New York, I mean the western areas like Buffalo. Or would I be looking at areas such as West Virginia, lower Ohio, Kentucky?
That sounds almost exactly like the year we are having so far in Indianapolis. Not saying it is typical, but it has only been above 90 degrees twice this year, and I have only felt like the ice was keeping me inside once (back in December, on a Saturday). Of course, last year it got above 90 degrees 30 times, which was way above average. I think an average summer around here only contains about 10 days of 90 degree heat.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Bump for more help

Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
Perhaps Wisconsin, might be what your looking for. Sheboygan, Sturgeon Bay, Oshkosh would all be areas to keep in mind. I would assume the Madison area is nice also.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Chicagoland would be a good choice for you. Lower OH and KY will be too warm for you. Chicagoland averages 18 days only with temps above 90 degrees. I believe we only had 6 this year. Most of the summer is about as pleasant as it gets. Spring and fall are cool, but pleasant 50-70 on average, with some days in the 40s and some days in the 80s. Winters can see some good amounts of snow (around 36" on average), but not much ice. We did have an ice storm last year early on, but the roads were perfectly fine for the commute the next morning. IDOT does a great job on keeping the roads clear.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 PM

124 posts, read 507,221 times
Rutherford NC, is in an isothermic envelope. I know you don't know what that is.
It means it has 4 exact mild seasons. Its a beautiful place to live and cheap.
Check out www.Rutherfordcountygov.com (broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 PM

124 posts, read 507,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
This is what I like.

Can ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Rutherford NC, is in an isothermic envelope. I know you don't know what that is.
It means it has 4 exact mild seasons. Its a beautiful place to live and cheap.
Check out www.Rutherfordcountygov.com (broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicagoland would be a good choice for you. Lower OH and KY will be too warm for you. Chicagoland averages 18 days only with temps above 90 degrees. I believe we only had 6 this year. Most of the summer is about as pleasant as it gets. Spring and fall are cool, but pleasant 50-70 on average, with some days in the 40s and some days in the 80s. Winters can see some good amounts of snow (around 36" on average), but not much ice. We did have an ice storm last year early on, but the roads were perfectly fine for the commute the next morning. IDOT does a great job on keeping the roads clear.
I grew up outside of Chicago so that might be why Im having the urge for that type of climate again. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.