Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM

124 posts, read 611,600 times

Advertisements

First:
New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago

Second:
Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Seattle
DC
San Diego
Dallas
Nashville
New Orleans
Las Vegas

Third:

Houston
Miami
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus
Milwaukee
Detroit
Portland
Memphis
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Atlanta
Phoenix
Denver
Kansas City
St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
How you rank these will of course depend on the criteria you use. I would consider dropping San Diego, Las Vegas, Nashville, and New Orleans from second to third tier. I'd move Houston and Atlanta up to second tier, probably Denver and Cleveland as well.

Detroit is an interesting case. It could be argued that, at least for the time being, it has lost some importance in national and international affairs, with its declining share of auto production, but historically it would be more tier two.

Miami is another interesting case. The metro area compares in population to most of the second-tier cities' populations, and the city is notable as the center of Carribean culture in the U.S., but then there is the question of whether that culture really has a strong national influence in the U.S. or is largely limited to southern FL.

Minneapolis, hmmm. I'm not especially aware of that city's economic strong suits. I'd be inclined to consider it as a solid candidate for tier two, because I get the general impression that it's a pretty large and important city, but I could be way off there. I just don't know enough about what makes the Twin Cities tick to really say for sure.

Last edited by ogre; 09-10-2008 at 11:33 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Thanks for the science!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
What on earth is this list based on? I don't know, but I know it sucks.

BTW, this is clearly a recipe for ticking people off.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Oh god, this is going to get ugly.....

Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
How you rank these will of course depend on the criteria you use. I would consider dropping San Diego, Las Vegas, Nashville, and New Orleans from second to third tier. I'd move Houston and Atlanta up to second tier, probably Denver and Cleveland as well.

Detroit is an interesting case. It could be argued that, at least for the time being, it has lost some importance in national and international affairs, with its declining share of auto production, but historically it would be more tier two.

Miami is another interesting case. The metro area compares in population to most of the second-tier cities' populations, and the city is notable as the center of Carribean culture in the U.S., but then there is the question of whether that culture really has a strong national influence in the U.S. or is largely limited to southern FL.

Minneapolis, hmmm. I'm not especially aware of that city's economic strong suits. I'd be inclined to consider it as a solid candidate for tier two, because I get the general impression that it's a pretty large and important city, but I could be way off there. I just don't know enough about what makes the Twin Cities tick to really say for sure.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I would rank them. I would leave Minneapolis and Denver in tier three and Miami in tier two. Houston and Dallas should be in the same tier, whether its 2nd or 3rd.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Oh god, this is going to get ugly.....
Oops. You know what? I think you and Ainulinule are right. Hmm . . .

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
why does citydata have so many stupid threads like this. Somebody picks cities and puts a bunch on third that you know she has never travelled to them all that she is ranking. I may be wrong. Maybe she did, but still?

I am just saying. I am a poster on SSP much more than here. ON that forum, if somebody tries a city bashing or city vs city thread it is locked. It creates more intelligent urban discussions rather than, "My city is pretty, and your's smells" type arguments.

Although, I do see that far more people see the later thread much more fun and exciting, and I guess this is the forum for it.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Most would agree that San Francisco is more of a first class city than LA

Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
who cares??

Is there even a definition on what a "Tier" freakin is?

Citydata.com's forum is going from a second Tier forum to a third "Tier" one with threads like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.