Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
And the same $155k house in TX would cost $400k in south FL. Property taxes would be over $7k and dont even get me started on insurance. Texas is the clear winner here. I find it funny you complain about taxes in Texas, you should see how bad its in south Florida!

Texas isnt really my choice of where to move, I hate the hot summers and also nice houses usually cost $125k to $150k and up. Good price for someone with money like my parents, they can relocate.
I find it funny you don't do research. Texas has the highest property taxes in the US. People in Florida complain because it's happened recently. Texas always had the high prop taxes.

Florida has a low tax burden overall, despite complaints. It's rank 39 or something...so only 11 states have less of a burden. And this is indeed current data, including the high prop taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
OH OH OH....
There's a link on the MSN homepage that I saw today. Lists the standings and overall ranking of each state for tax burden and there are the breakdowns for what is and/or isn't taxed where and at what rate.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You can live in a good location without getting ridiculous and without living in a rural wasteland. Des Moines, Iowa is a big city, yet the crime isnt bad for that city and housing is very affordable, theres dozens of houses for under $100k and several for under $50k. Someone making $40k or even $30k can afford a house in that city.

Many cities in Texas are very affordable as well. You can choose from over 100 houses listed for sale in Dallas or Houston at a cost of under $50k. Yes there will be some crime because its a big city and also cheaper areas have more crime.

Some people insist on living in an expensive location because of weather, family, friends, jobs and/or they are just rich. A good location does not have to be expensive, you just have to shop around. Its like shopping at walmart vs. Harrods(big London mall, very expensive) You can find much the same product in those two stores. The main difference is you are paying for "big brand" The same is true of Los Angeles vs. Dallas. Everyone knows Los Angeles as the "big name" city thats a "must have"
indeed,as the saying goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

its all in personal perspective and what one finds important.

I can only speak for myself when I say,Miami has nothing left for me.No family and my life long friends moved around the middle of the state.I could go somewhere on the otherside of the country but is it worth being so far away from people you care about.

Being a guitar player,I need to be somewhere I can play out,which means close to bigger cities.My plans,is to move away from a big city to have good prices on a house yet close enough,say a hour drive to a city for nightlife and possible daytime work if it becomes difficult to find work.

Some would say its not worth having to commute to save money on a house,I say it is if it gives me the chance to buy one paid off....cause thats freedom,no matter what happens or who f's with you,no one can take your house away....Right now 75% of my net income is going to my mortgage,thanks in large part to insurance.I rather have to deal with a commute than all money toward bills.!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:13 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortizjunior View Post
whats da debate we hispanics are here get used to it
Oh yes. You are a real gem. A great asset to this forum. That's the way to get people to really like hispanics!

Learn manners first Junior. Until then, ZIP IT!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
- why IS Texas so cheap? ?
No offense, I think Texas has little culture. It's a nice state to visit, but unless I'm one of those guys who absolutely is obsessed with Texas, I have no interest. The state is filled with testosterone wanna-be cowboys who work in office jobs. Just as Minnesota is the land of a thousand lakes, Texas is the land of a billion trucks. There's a bar on every other street corner, and many folks need to hit the treadmill more often.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I find it funny you don't do research. Texas has the highest property taxes in the US. People in Florida complain because it's happened recently. Texas always had the high prop taxes.

Florida has a low tax burden overall, despite complaints. It's rank 39 or something...so only 11 states have less of a burden. And this is indeed current data, including the high prop taxes.

Don't be underestimating NAH now. I just did a bit of checking and I don't believe this is exactly up to date, BUT using 100% as the average cost of living in the U.S.~ Miami rates at 136.2% and San Antonio rates a 74.7. The average home in Miami was 387,800 and the average cost of a home in San Antonio is 95,000. The tax rate for Miami is 16.94% and the tax rate for San Antonio is 20.00%. Obviously, even though the tax rate is higher in Texas, the actual tax bill will be much less then in Miami. I just chose those two cities at random, but I'll bet it gives a pretty good picture of the situation. The utilities, food, and several other things were much cheaper in San Antonio then in Miami.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Don't be underestimating NAH now. I just did a bit of checking and I don't believe this is exactly up to date, BUT using 100% as the average cost of living in the U.S.~ Miami rates at 136.2% and San Antonio rates a 74.7. The average home in Miami was 387,800 and the average cost of a home in San Antonio is 95,000. The tax rate for Miami is 16.94% and the tax rate for San Antonio is 20.00%. Obviously, even though the tax rate is higher in Texas, the actual tax bill will be much less then in Miami. I just chose those two cities at random, but I'll bet it gives a pretty good picture of the situation. The utilities, food, and several other things were much cheaper in San Antonio then in Miami.

Thats my point exactly. Sure FL has lower taxes but when you can get the same house for $155k in Texas that costs $400k in FL, do the math and tell me. FL would be cheaper if you could get the same size and quality house for the same price as Texas then you pay less taxes. FL is so expensive that even with the lower percent taxes, few can afford it. The other costs of living is much lower in Texas as well. I know Murphy likes FL and if he wants to pay the "sunshine" taxes with low salaries and high costs of living, thats his choice. Texas has most of what FL has anyway.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
No offense, I think Texas has little culture. It's a nice state to visit, but unless I'm one of those guys who absolutely is obsessed with Texas, I have no interest. The state is filled with testosterone wanna-be cowboys who work in office jobs. Just as Minnesota is the land of a thousand lakes, Texas is the land of a billion trucks. There's a bar on every other street corner, and many folks need to hit the treadmill more often.
Make that TEN thousand lakes, dusesean! Yikes, I hope that doesn't mean you undercounted Texas' trucks by a similar amount!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Make that TEN thousand lakes, dusesean! Yikes, I hope that doesn't mean you undercounted Texas' trucks by a similar amount!
You got me benny boy, ONE UP!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
LOL!!!! So wrong on so many accounts. If there was indeed "a bar on every other corner" in Texas than how come the nearest "bar" from me is a bit of a drive. And I do live in a large metropolitan city not out in the sticks. Then "testosterone wanna-be cowboys", um, actually around here in Dallas people that wear boots and/or hats are in the minority. Most of the people that live here are from somewhere else. Maybe you should pay more attention when you visit somewhere to really understand it. There is a lot of class and culture here in Texas and not everyone drives a pick up truck. But hey, if ya don't like it then fine, don't move here . BTW, I've seen just as many overweight people in Florida, Californian and NYC. Geez, just continues to blow my mind how so many people fall for such far out myths and such that are supposed to come from more "sophisticated" states or places "with more culture".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.