Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times

Advertisements

I've debated with people over how important location is. One particular person said that it doesn't matter. Low crime is most important, cheap housing, etc.

Under that logic, everyone would live in some rural, declining town with $20k homes. Obviously, location means something. People pay big bucks for example to live in San Francisco. People pay small bucks to live in Ruralsville, Alabama (made up obviously) because it's a small, declining location w/ nothing to do.

The argument is that things to do aren't important. Low crime is better, and staying at home all day is fine.

I personally believe that you can find a mix of things to do AND low crime. Crime rates in big cities seem staggering but one has to remember that the crime is spread over a lot of people. Therefore, a 500 crime rating in Ruralsville, AL would be quite shocking, whereas in New York it would almost be okay because of the high number of people it's spread to.

Plus, there is no argument with the fact that crime tends to be location specific. True, there are some horrible cities where crime occurs anywhere but that's rare. I also was told that in gated communities, crime can occur, but why is this suprising? Anytime you show "wealth" (i.e. gated community, nice car, whatever) of course crime is going to follow.

To me, It's best to be in a place with a mix of things to do, moderate to low crime, and not flaunt wealth. Just live on a middle class street in a middle class area, and I don't see why you won't be fine AND have things to do. Just because you want to be safe doesn't mean you have to be in some abandoned wasteland, IMO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Default Very True

I could not agree more completely.

I can only wonder why 'The Middle Class' is being eliminated --or so it would seem in my area.

I came to City-Data in hopes of discovering where 'Average' homes might be found. I have lived in Atlanta most of my life--why should I have to relocate to a small town in another part of the state to have the quality of life that I have attempted to enjoy for decades?

'Intown'--very expensive and trendy. My parents bought a small home after WW2--right where everyone now wants to live and prices are soaring. The area is being Developed--valuable real estate for tax purposes.

I'm pretty disgusted. Never expected to be 'Rich'--just not that important to me--it is important to me to be able to have 'A few things'.

Tough cookies--that is the response. As the bulldozers move forward.

It is amoral. jmo.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
You can live in a good location without getting ridiculous and without living in a rural wasteland. Des Moines, Iowa is a big city, yet the crime isnt bad for that city and housing is very affordable, theres dozens of houses for under $100k and several for under $50k. Someone making $40k or even $30k can afford a house in that city.

Many cities in Texas are very affordable as well. You can choose from over 100 houses listed for sale in Dallas or Houston at a cost of under $50k. Yes there will be some crime because its a big city and also cheaper areas have more crime.

Some people insist on living in an expensive location because of weather, family, friends, jobs and/or they are just rich. A good location does not have to be expensive, you just have to shop around. Its like shopping at walmart vs. Harrods(big London mall, very expensive) You can find much the same product in those two stores. The main difference is you are paying for "big brand" The same is true of Los Angeles vs. Dallas. Everyone knows Los Angeles as the "big name" city thats a "must have"

Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 AM

Most places that are cheap are cheap for a reason. Nothing wrong with Des Moines or Texas. I'm just saying, they're cheap for a reason. I don't KNOW the reason, but I can tell you that there is one.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
For me a location is all about, what's there, the people, the attitude, the atmosphere. And of course, if I would be happy. And after all that... I start looking at the money worth.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Most places that are cheap are cheap for a reason. Nothing wrong with Des Moines or Texas. I'm just saying, they're cheap for a reason. I don't KNOW the reason, but I can tell you that there is one.

I know the reasons and those reasons are not enough to prevent me and others from considering those affordable locations. What good is an expensive location if you cant afford anything there?
Texas doesnt have good beaches nor mountains and the weather isnt as constant as CA's maritime climate in the coastal areas. Des Moines gets plenty cold. Still people are relocating out of FL, NJ, NYC, CA and other unaffordable locations and into affordable locations in order to live a higher standard of life.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:09 AM

But the prices will, sooner or later, creep into the regions they flock too. Might as well stay in the original place!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
But the prices will, sooner or later, creep into the regions they flock too. Might as well stay in the original place!

Or you can buy cheap elsewhere and let prices go up. Then you cash out on sweet equity and relocate again. Repeat and you have enough to retire years earlier

Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Location is the MOST important thing you should consider when buying a home. Desirable locations have high price tags for a reason and the high price also prevents over-crowding. Not everyone can afford a million dollar home so they need to look elsewhere.

I would much rather pay $$$ to live in Scottsdale than live cheaply in Podunk, IA. Crime should be a consideration but shouldn't dictate where you'll live. Take some measures to try and protect yourself (i.e. buy a security system, lock your doors, etc). Phoenix itself has a fairly high crime rate but many of the suburbs do not. This is usually the same with most cities.

Quote:
Keyword- most. Some cities are cheap but still are quite nice. Take Dallas, Houston, Austin, Omaha, Minneapolis, Ann Arbor, etc etc. All of these cities are inexpensive as far as home prices go. $200,000 could get you a nice home in a nice area while $200,000 in a city like L.A. would get you a run-down closet.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Minneapolis and Ann Arbor are not really that cheap. True, you might get a home under $200,000 but it seems as though it would be pretty basic. Those areas seem to be going up in price.

The ones you mentioned in Texas truly are cheap - why IS Texas so cheap? Is it the tornado risk? The hurricane risk in some areas? What makes it so cheap and not going up fast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.