Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,857 times

Advertisements

that was salary. if you get paid 30,000 a year in LA, in a comparable job here in Omaha, you'd get paid a bit less, but end up with over $5,000 more spending money because of the cost of living. The median home price in Omaha is 160,000. Omaha is also one of the few places in the nation relatively uneffected by the failing economy or bad housing market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM

179 posts, read 199,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
that was salary. if you get paid 30,000 a year in LA, in a comparable job here in Omaha, you'd get paid a bit less, but end up with over $5,000 more spending money because of the cost of living. The median home price in Omaha is 160,000. Omaha is also one of the few places in the nation relatively uneffected by the failing economy or bad housing market.
What do people do in Omaha? Is it like buffalo trading and stuff?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Houston - I made 190k as a starting associate and don't pay state income tax.

California faces way more natural disasters than TX (mudslides, an earthquake that will take it into the ocean).

Actually it doesn't and people blow our natural disasters out of proportion. Major earthquakes are very rare and more people died this year from tornadoes alone that an earthquake in the US in over a decade. Also earthquakes won't take CA into the ocean, I can't believe anyone actually believes that crap still. And you say this as Texas is about to get hit with it's 2nd hurricane of the year, a major one too.

TX is hit with more natural disasters than CA and it's the reason why it's the most expensive place in the nation to insure a home.
http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/a...-Insure-a-Home

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
What do people do in Omaha? Is it like buffalo trading and stuff?
Banking, accounting, telemarketing, doctors, nurses, one of the 5 fortune 500 companies, insurance, Offut Air force base is the headquarters of STRATCOM, etc.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,442 times
Default Houston!!!

You should seriously consider Houston. I come from California and I moved here for the all the reasons you describe. I have a beautiful 3000 sq ft house that cost me 200k. The same house in California would cost close to a million. My salary is probably about the same as what it would be in CA -- maybe 10k less if that.

The worst problem is the humidity. It will take one summer to get used to it. You will feel very uncomfortable that summer, but then you will be fine. But then you will have the warm weather you are used to, (no snow!!!) Hurricanes are not that big a deal. You know they are coming; there are hurricane trackers... unlike earthquakes which are a little more random. You can leave town without problem and go to Austin for a nice mini-vacation.

Houston is a VERY diverse city, much more so than any city I lived in in CA. (I lived in San Diego, Los Angeles and Sacramento) There are so many different types of incredible restaurants and it has a great theatre and art district.

Personally, I think moving here was one of the best decisions of my life. I would do it again without hesitation.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Grow a friggin backbone when it comes to the disaster thing. The mentality that a lot of Californians have disgust me.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

181 posts, read 849,258 times
HOUSTON

I get paid what I would in NYC for my job (literally, dollar-for-dollar), and it's a high-paying job.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,127 times
Asheville and Charlotte, NC, would be two cities to look into for sure. Places down here tend to get overlooked because people are prejudice against the South and assume we are all prejudice. Oh, sweet irony. Anyway, cities in the northern South (Asheville, Charlotte, Louisville) might be what you are looking for.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Maybe this will help, Many of the ones near the top are next to military bases, and some by Indian reservations. But if yo scan down the list, there are lots of towns where a house will not cost much more than a year's income.

https://www.city-data.com/top5.html

Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
With housing prices crashing...The Bay Area suddenly is much more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.