Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
With housing prices crashing...The Bay Area suddenly is much more affordable.
What do you think future projections of this are... bleed out, people move out who want bigger houses, then stabilize and get back to normal? That is my hopes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There will be more demand for low-priced housing, as people lose their expensive homes and have to downsize.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 16,754 times
I know this post is old, but I am from California and want to share my opinion.

The problem is that the more harmonious people of different races and cultures are towards each other, the more education (and thus income) they tend to have, which drives up the market demand for housing and impacts the overall cost of living. It might be better for you to just say "liberal", as this is pretty much the only place you are going to find harmony among races. There is no place in the south where there isn't racial tension that I've lived or visited. In fact, you can count out most of the United States. Instead, focus on locations in the west, including Nevada, NM, AZ, Bellevue, WA, Colorado SPrings, Co, Albequerque NM. One other options is also Orlando, Fl.

I lived in St Louis and found it to be full of corruption and bigotry. It has an ugly dark side and strange politics.

Last edited by marma; 11-16-2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marma View Post

The problem is that the more harmonious people of different races and cultures are towards each other, the more education (and thus income) they tend to have, which drives up the market demand for housing and impacts the overall cost of living. It might be better for you to just say "liberal", as this is pretty much the only place you are going to find harmony among races. There is no place in the south I FL where there isn't racial tension. In fact, you can count out most of the United States. Instead, focus on locations in the west, including Nevada, NM, AZ, Bellevue, WA, Colorado SPrings, Co, Albequerque NM. One other options is also Orlando, Fl.

I lived in St Louis and found it to be full of corruption and bigotry. It has an ugly dark side and strange politics.
Interesting perspective.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
And the answer is: Albuquerque, NM.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
I would say that Charlotte, Austin, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Raleigh could be a great fit for you.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
The Newark, DE area sounds good.
The economy is good, the property taxes are really low (no sales tax), the weather isn't too harsh in any season, and I'm pretty sure that area is racially harmonious (compared to a lot of the country)
You're also never too far from beaches which may be a plus for you. The location also offers Philly, Baltimore, DC, and NYC all under 2.5 hours distance.

Delaware is definitely growing, I think, according to your criteria, you'll find it a nice place to have a fresh start.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
Lexington, Kentucky is pretty awesome! Check it out. Medium size city, low crime, great schools, moderate climate, some of the best tasting chocolate, centrally located, Appalachian Mountains next county over, multi-ethnic and really nice people. I moved up here 20 years ago from South Texas and have loved it every since! Good luck in your search~

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Harrisburg, PA area tends to rank well in these comparisons. Seems to be a high percentage of stay-at-home parents because both don't *need* to work to afford a home here.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marma View Post

The problem is that the more harmonious people of different races and cultures are towards each other, the more education (and thus income) they tend to have, which drives up the market demand for housing and impacts the overall cost of living. It might be better for you to just say "liberal", as this is pretty much the only place you are going to find harmony among races. There is no place in the south where there isn't racial tension that I've lived or visited. In fact, you can count out most of the United States. Instead, focus on locations in the west, including Nevada, NM, AZ, Bellevue, WA, Colorado SPrings, Co, Albequerque NM. One other options is also Orlando, Fl.

Fairly valid, but if that was the case, cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, and Washington DC would be very racially harmonious. As for the above cities mentioned, we all know that these cities have more than their share of issues considering how liberal these cities are supposedly are. And in the case of DC, I can personally attest that the expensive places within the city limits are anything but racially welcoming (tolerant maybe, which the OP stated was not enough). The main reason why all of these places are expensive are because of high-paying jobs! However, the DC suburb of Northern Virginia and the Northern DC suburbs of Maryland are very racially harmonious, which in that case, may be a supplemental reason why these areas are expensive (along with the recession-proof government and IT jobs scattered about in these parts of the DC area).

But overall, I do agree with this post. For the OP, I would stay West of the Mississippi river to find something that fits all of your criteria, and venture no further northeast than Minnesota/Wisconsin and no further Southeast than Texas. The cities you mentioned are good suggestions, but there are plenty of more cities on the list that would fit at least most of what you're looking for. Austin, Minneapolis, and Denver are also good candidates for cities that have most of what you're looking for as well; all are known to have decent jobs (or will have decent jobs when the recession ends), are very tech savvy, are very racially integrated and harmonious (compared to most cities), don't have very extreme catastrophe-categorized weather, and most importantly, don't have killer bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.