Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Harrisburg, PA area tends to rank well in these comparisons. Seems to be a high percentage of stay-at-home parents because both don't *need* to work to afford a home here.
Interesting and Harrisburg is an area that I've wondered about and I feel is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I'm sorry that this thread is so old because i know the perfect place. The only thing you have to worry about in San Antonio, TX is occasional flooding (just avoid flood plains) and really hot, humid weather. We only get frozen precipitation a couple of times of year and it's only a little bit of sleet, we don't get earthquakes, hurricanes are only heavy rain systems by the time they reach us, we don't get mudslides, and we rarely have tornadoes that touch down. San Antonio is ranked 2nd in the nation for cost of living/salary ratio behind Austin. Austin is another city to consider. The only problem with Austin is that traffic is really bad due to almost every street being a freeway/highway.

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the nation with around 1.5 million people, but it has a small town feel. Bexar County (which San Antonio is in) was about 58% Hispanic, 30% white, 6% black, and the rest other in the 2000 census. San Antonio has a mixture of Democratic and Republican districts. The north side tends to be more affluent and votes Republican while the rest of the city votes more Democratic. I think Austin is a little more diversity friendly though; it's called the blue island in Texas. I don't know why because Texas has several districts with a Hispanic majority which tends to vote Democratic. You are basically looking for a place in the Midwest or Southwest; but we have scorpions and rattlesnakes (mostly in less populous areas though).

Last edited by L210; 08-02-2010 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: I wanted to add more to my post.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I'm sorry that this thread is so old because i know the perfect place. The only thing you have to worry about in San Antonio, TX is occasional flooding (just avoid flood plains) and really hot, humid weather. We only get frozen precipitation a couple of times of year and it's only a little bit of sleet, we don't get earthquakes, hurricanes are only heavy rain systems by the time they reach us, we don't get mudslides, and we rarely have tornadoes that touch down. San Antonio is ranked 2nd in the nation for cost of living/salary ratio behind Austin. Austin is another city to consider. The only problem with Austin is that traffic is really bad due to almost every street being a freeway/highway.

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the nation with around 1.5 million people, but it has a small town feel. Bexar County (which San Antonio is in) was about 58% Hispanic, 30% white, 6% black, and the rest other in the 2000 census. San Antonio has a mixture of Democratic and Republican districts. The north side tends to be more affluent and votes Republican while the rest of the city votes more Democratic. I think Austin is a little more diversity friendly though; it's called the blue island in Texas. I don't know why because Texas has several districts with a Hispanic majority which tends to vote Democratic. You are basically looking for a place in the Midwest or Southwest; but we have scorpions and rattlesnakes (mostly in less populous areas though).

And a high crime rate.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
What do people do in Omaha? Is it like buffalo trading and stuff?
The largest base of operations for the Union Pacific. It's hard work with unpredictable schedules, but the pay is good.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Going by Kiplinger's the following seem to have good income versus cost-of-living.

Oxnard-Thousand Oaks, California

Trenton-Ewing, New Jersey

Napa, California

Vallejo-Fairfield, California

Santa Cruz, California

Santa Rosa-Petaluma, California

Rochester, Minnesota

Des Moines, Iowa

Can't say how valid that is though.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Going by Kiplinger's the following seem to have good income versus cost-of-living.

Oxnard-Thousand Oaks, California

Trenton-Ewing, New Jersey

Napa, California

Vallejo-Fairfield, California

Santa Cruz, California

Santa Rosa-Petaluma, California

Rochester, Minnesota

Des Moines, Iowa

Can't say how valid that is though.
There's no way those CA ones can be right.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:05 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I was going to say the upper SE is pretty good on the natural disaster scale but then I remember the Nashville flood.

BTW - do not cash in your retirement before talking to an accountant. There may be penalties to pay if you don't convert it to an IRA. Besides, if you're moving to a cheap area you won't need $100K to get settled.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
There's no way those CA ones can be right.
I thought the same thing to be honest. City-Data places Napa, Petaluma, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, and Vallejo as well above what Kiplinger did.

//www.city-data.com/city/Napa-California.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Petaluma-California.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Vallejo-California.html

Their estimate for Oxnard-Thousand Oaks was a bit closer to accurate, but they're also more expensive than they listed as they listed it as average.

//www.city-data.com/city/Oxnard-California.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Thousa...alifornia.html

Trenton is also a bit more expensive than they list, according to CD, as they also put it at average.

//www.city-data.com/city/Trenton-New-Jersey.html

However City-Data puts the cost-of-living in Des Moines and Rochester as considerably lower than Kiplinger did.

//www.city-data.com/city/Des-Moines-Iowa.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Rochester-Minnesota.html

So Des Moines, Iowa might legitimately be a good one for cost-of-living versus income. (Rochester is significantly better, but I think it's more of a hospital town than a city that's major for its state.)

Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
If you want a place that has a reasonable income/cost of living ratio that is not very susceptible to natural disasters, give Pittsburgh a try. It's anecdotal, but I heard somewhere that among all major U.S. cities, Pittsburgh has the fewest insurance claims per capita as a result of severe weather. The most common type of natural disaster in Pittsburgh is flooding, but as long as you don't live in an area prone to floods, you'll be fine.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Any city in Delaware.
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Austin
Trenton (How much people make around this area including Princeton is beyond me, even in parts of Trenton and Ewing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.