U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 AM

6,075 posts, read 10,131,412 times

Advertisements

As far as affordable cities go I'd have to recommend Pittsburgh and Atlanta. To some degree I'd also recommend Buffalo but you want to live near one of the college campuses in the area.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM

784 posts, read 2,163,841 times
I've lived in Pittsburgh so I know. Your assessment of Pittsburgh couldn't be any more wrong. I lived there and the girls there were very homely, stuck up and prude. I honestly can't remember seeing any good looking, good dressing girls. Serious, it was that bad. I think it is the worst city in the country for girls, and trust me I have been all over. Even the college girls aren't that good looking. I was so put off by Pittsburgh girls. I am a good looking guy too. I often joke to my friends about Pitt girls. I say that you could be standing at the end of a sidewalk with your thing hanging out and no one would call the cops, because their to busy walking by with their noses up in the air. Per rate, I never seen so many homely girls who thought they were all that. If you want to hook up for a one night stand go to a college bar. Many of those girls are from somewhere else and know how to have fun. It's no surprise Pittsburgh is rated almost dead last for singles every year. Trust me yinzers are not good looking sophisticated like you might think. Homely, very bad dressed, sound very funny, backwards is more like it.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,687 times
there are so many misconceptions about the south. if there are so many dummies in the south then why are all the people moving this way? What would be an interesting thread is cities that people would be shocked to hear violate their misconceptions. For example, Tulsa, OK (no not trailer park trash), but a rather sophisticated city on the plains (actually in the foothills of the ozarks, and quite hilly and tree lined very beautiful). Tulsa has a ballet company, opera, one of the nicest performing arts center, incredible music scene, recession proof economy, and attractive women. The cities skyline was rated in the top 25 by this very website. You'd be shocked what kind of home you can get for 250,000. A flippin mansion for that price. Only thing though, the weather is harsh. You have to be tough to live there! So I'd like to see more threads about places that blow people's paradigms.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM

24,215 posts, read 41,687,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesecarter View Post
there are so many misconceptions about the south. if there are so many dummies in the south then why are all the people moving this way? What would be an interesting thread is cities that people would be shocked to hear violate their misconceptions. For example, Tulsa, OK (no not trailer park trash), but a rather sophisticated city on the plains (actually in the foothills of the ozarks, and quite hilly and tree lined very beautiful). Tulsa has a ballet company, opera, one of the nicest performing arts center, incredible music scene, recession proof economy, and attractive women. The cities skyline was rated in the top 25 by this very website. You'd be shocked what kind of home you can get for 250,000. A flippin mansion for that price. Only thing though, the weather is harsh. You have to be tough to live there! So I'd like to see more threads about places that blow people's paradigms.
I would love for you to show me a link proving that Tulsa County has actually seen a net increase in non-farm employment since 2000. No city is recession proof when non-farm employment is below 2000 levels.
(Edit) OK, non-farm employment has increased 0.3% since 2000. That is barely in the black.
In terms of housing prices, much of it is due to supply and demand. If more people demand to live in a particular area prices go up due to supply constraints. If developers overbuild in a particular area prices implode. The reason why Plains cities are so cheap in terms of housing costs are because they can sprawl very easily because of a lack of natural obstacles.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,320,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
He said he wanted lovely, gorgeous and intelligent- not teeth pickin', clothes hangin' leaf gutter cleanin' back bacon smokin', bail postin', over drinkin', throwin' upn', hay balin' Yatzee playin', child beatin', meth smokin', driveway hosin', hood rats!
So... basically stay away from Bakersfield?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 32,139,140 times
Sorry, there are too many variations of this topic in here and in the city vs city room - this being just one: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...er-capita.html . Please add to one of the existing threads rather than re-create basically the same thing again. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.