Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 PM

89 posts, read 117,871 times

Advertisements

Updated list in my opinion:

Atlanta
Austin
Charlotte
Dallas
D.C.
Houston
Minneapolis

I don't really think New Orleans have a "bright" future. It's too focused on tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,723,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You can remove Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, and Cleveland from your list. I really don't see much growth potential in these cities. High crime, no jobs, and lousy weather aren't very good incentives for people to migrate to these cities. It's a shame because cities like Detroit and Cleveland have so much potential, but I don't see any future industries setting up shop in these areas.

The cities I think will grow in the future are the smaller ones such as Boise, Eugene/Salem, southern half of NH, Dallas, San Antonio, Huntsville, Colorado Springs, and perhaps Olympia/Tacoma.

The DC area to include Alrington and Alexandria will continue to grow and prosper.
You must not be aware that New Orleans is doing quite well right now.Its one of the fastest growing cities.Crime is down and there are more jobs than people.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Most American cities have seen their best times. In fact, most American cities are on the decline, horribly, economically, demographically, politically, socially, etc.

If any cities' brightest days are ahead, it's a place like Fargo, Sioux Falls, Omaha, or Cheyenne. The bigger cities have declined in so many ways, that I don't see them turning it around.
How can that be so when many inner cities are growing faster than they have in decades?NYC was bankrupt in the eighteis.Atlanta has experiences it biggest increase in decades despite a bad school sysytem compahies are still moving headquarters there.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,858,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
ATL has the brightest in the country, in my opinion. It's the fastest growing city in the country and the hip hop scene is nuts. Hotlanta is its nickname.
I completely agree, A city that isn't growing because of Illegal Immigration.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,132,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How can that be so when many inner cities are growing faster than they have in decades?NYC was bankrupt in the eighteis.Atlanta has experiences it biggest increase in decades despite a bad school sysytem compahies are still moving headquarters there.
Clearly, those who are moving there do not give a $hit about education then! Is that what you want? More people isn't ALWAYS better....

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,132,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I completely agree, A city that isn't growing because of Illegal Immigration.
Georgia is #9 in one regard:

More than 10,000 illegal immigrants in Georgia apply for... | www.ajc.com

Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,706,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are you insane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You must not be aware that New Orleans is doing quite well right now.Its one of the fastest growing cities.Crime is down and there are more jobs than people.
New Orleans is ranked number 3 in most dangerous cities category, homeless rate is 2nd in the nation, in 2012 it was ranked the 2nd filthiest city in the nation, it's growth is a result of gentrification in some places that may sustain until the next big Cat 5 hurricane. The gentrificatioon is also what will rob N.O. of its originality and character. A majority of these new jobs being created are minimum wage, entry level, and part time, hardly anything to boast about, but it helps the mayor prove growth and prosperity in order to get re-elected. So they're opening a Costco and Walmart in the city, hardly enough to warrant a mass exodus to N.O. Sorry, but fast food franchises and trendy coffee shops are not enough incentive for people to start migrating to N.O. over the long haul.

More jobs than people but still tens of thousands of abondoned homes in the city with over 6,000 homeless squatting in them. Empty lots where homes used to be are now home to weeds, garbage, snakes, rats, nd other unpleasantries. The city has a long way to go, and while it may be experiencing a spurt in growth and improvement, it won't be sustainable. See me in 5 years and ask me if I'm "insane".

Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Clearly, those who are moving there do not give a $hit about education then! Is that what you want? More people isn't ALWAYS better....
Do you know how many innr city schools systems that are bad inthe country?Not all the schools are bad BTW.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
New Orleans is ranked number 3 in most dangerous cities category, homeless rate is 2nd in the nation, in 2012 it was ranked the 2nd filthiest city in the nation, it's growth is a result of gentrification in some places that may sustain until the next big Cat 5 hurricane. The gentrificatioon is also what will rob N.O. of its originality and character. A majority of these new jobs being created are minimum wage, entry level, and part time, hardly anything to boast about, but it helps the mayor prove growth and prosperity in order to get re-elected. So they're opening a Costco and Walmart in the city, hardly enough to warrant a mass exodus to N.O. Sorry, but fast food franchises and trendy coffee shops are not enough incentive for people to start migrating to N.O. over the long haul.

More jobs than people but still tens of thousands of abondoned homes in the city with over 6,000 homeless squatting in them. Empty lots where homes used to be are now home to weeds, garbage, snakes, rats, nd other unpleasantries. The city has a long way to go, and while it may be experiencing a spurt in growth and improvement, it won't be sustainable. See me in 5 years and ask me if I'm "insane".
Katrina rebound again helps New Orleans rank first for population growth | NOLA.com

New Orleans winning recognition for growth from financial websites | NOLA.com

You need 5 years?Well it has started:
5-Year Plan Targets Business Growth in New Orleans

Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,952,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
So cities full of white people that lack Hispanics?
Why jump to the conclusion the list was based on ethnicity/race? I'm really so tired of this. Omaha has a pretty good percentage of those of Hispanic ethnicity (14.2 %). Cheyenne is about the same as Omaha. Sioux Falls Hispanic population is the largest minority and continues to grow. Fargo's percentage is smaller than the others but chances are it will grow too.

I would assume his choices were based at least partly on the area not taking quite the hit many other regions took with regards to unemployment. Places with jobs and reasonable housing costs will most likely see some growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.