Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

After reading the string started by Happ about your State's personality I started to think about whether or not it is possible to match up your own personality with a suitable city or state.

For example. According to the Briggs and Stratton uh, I mean Myer Learning Inventory my personality is an ISTJ. The most compatible women for my personality are ISFP. It is also possible to match up personalities for friends and business associates. But I can't find anything to determine which states or perhaps metro areas match up best to a specific personality.

Has anyone seen such a study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:33 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Interesting question. Are you sure you're an ISTJ? It seems more of a question that would be posed by an INTJ.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Casey. I took the test once during my college years and then again this Summer. Each time I scored as an ISTJ. But I did find a couple of my personality traits to be incongruent with the final result. But the vast majority seem to be right on target. If it helps at all, I failed psychology twice while in college.

It would be a great relocation tool to be able to find a publication that can match up a person's personality with appropriate cities and states.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,654 times
Default state's personalities

here's an article - copied and pasted (I prefer extrovert over extravert myself...)
Guess my area (Wyoming/Idaho/Montana) isn't anything in particular - need to move east to North Dakota, where the action is.
-----
The top 10 in each category:

Extraversion
People in these sociable states are most likely to enjoy attending club meetings or hanging out in bars.
Top 10: North Dakota, Wisconsin, Washington, D.C., Nebraska, Minnesota, Georgia, South Dakota, Utah, Illinois, Florida
Most extraverted: North Dakota
Least extraverted: Maryland

Agreeableness
Folks in these states are likely to go along, get along — they’re warm, compassionate, cooperative and friendly.
Top 10: North Dakota, Minnesota, Mississippi Utah, Wisconsin, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Oklahoma, Nebraska
Most agreeable: North Dakota
Least agreeable: Alaska

Conscientiousness
People in these states get the job done. They’re dutiful, responsible and self-disciplined.
Top Ten: New Mexico, North Carolina, Georgia, Utah, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida, Arizona, Missouri
Most conscientious: New Mexico
Least conscientious: Alaska

Neuroticism
Oh, dear, oh, dear. People in these states are likely to be anxious, stressed and impulsive.
Top Ten: West Virginia, Rhode Island, New York, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio, Arkansas
Most neurotic: West Virginia
Least neurotic: Utah

Openness
Folks in these states are willing to give it a try — they’re curious, intellectual and creative.
Top Ten: Washington, D.C., New York, Oregon, Massachusetts, Washington, California, Vermont, Colorado, Nevada, Maryland
Most open: Washington D.C.
Least open: North Dakota

Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 AM

Bitpicker. Thanks for the list. Extroversion I can handle depending upon the location. I lived in Minnesota for a while and noted the people there along with Wisconsin are quite friendly but most are NOT over bearing. But here in the Kansas City area (rates fairly high in this category according to the study) I've found MANY of the people to be pushy and over bearing. Thus, the brand of extroversion this part of MO and eastern KS displays I don't like. I'm originally from Connecticut and we are a just wee bit more reserved than most places. :-)

Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Bitpicker. Thanks for the list. Extroversion I can handle depending upon the location. I lived in Minnesota for a while and noted the people there along with Wisconsin are quite friendly but most are NOT over bearing. But here in the Kansas City area (rates fairly high in this category according to the study) I've found MANY of the people to be pushy and over bearing. Thus, the brand of extroversion this part of MO and eastern KS displays I don't like. I'm originally from Connecticut and we are a just wee bit more reserved than most places. :-)
Eh, sunbelt brashness,loudness, trendiness, rudeness, large sunglasses wearing, AKA Cali/Colrado.
Unfortunately, the KC metro is influenced a little too much by western and southern states compared to its other "Midwest" counterparts.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Plains10. I've spent quite a bit of time in the South over the years and when I lived in Indianapolis I stayed with a family from Tennessee and also met a lot of people from KY and TN in that area. I found the people to be relatively friendly or at least cordial and not overbearing, including the people from the South. I suspect KC's problems are from the California influences. I'd liken it to "California Lite". :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.