Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,788 times

Advertisements

1. Asheville, NC
2. Traverse City, MI
3. Ithaca, NY
4. Chicago, IL
5. Cary, NC
6. Portland, ME
7. San Francisco, CA
8. Stevens Point, WI
9. O'Fallon, MO
10. Spencer, IA

Relocate-America'sâ„¢ 2007 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Chicago and SF already get enough attention so lets not focus on these two cities. How about the rest? Any of you live in one of those towns? Whats so great and unique about them that you think they are the best places to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
I don't live in Stevens Point, though I used to live relatively close to it and I've been there a few times. Maybe it's just my urban sensibilities, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on there. It's not much more than a small city built around a medium-sized state university that isn't really big enough to give it that funky "college town" vibe like, say, Ann Arbor or Madison or Bloomington IN have.

But there's something about small cities and many small towns in Wisconsin that they are impeccably -- almost suspiciously -- clean and tidy. Except for pockets of grimy housing that you inevitably find in any college city, Stevens Point fits the description. Another attraction of Stevens Point is outdoor recreational opportunities. Stevens Point is right at the doorstep to the legendary Northwoods, where there are lots of forests (some state, some national), camping, hiking/biking trails, great hunting, horse trails, TONS of lakes (over 15,000 in the state, mostly the northern portion) for swimming/boating/water-skiing in the summer and ice-fishing/snowmobiling in the winter, and there's even a ski resort nearby (though anyone near the Rockies or even the Catskills would probably laugh themselves silly at what constitutes a "ski resort" in the Midwest).

So in summary, Stevens Point may not be a terribly vibrant city, but it's clean, quiet, practically crime-free, a good place to raise kids, has solid and very affordable housing stock, and it's in a prime location for outdoor enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:16 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Not top ten but in the top 100

Old 08-13-2007, 08:20 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,902,196 times
1. Asheville, NC (No.)
2. Traverse City, MI (Thought about it, but too small and isolated, wrong economy.)
3. Ithaca, NY (Thought about it, but husband thought it was too small.)
4. Chicago, IL (Thought about it, but too expensive.)
5. Cary, NC (No.)
6. Portland, ME (Thought about it, but too expensive.)
7. San Francisco, CA (No way. Earthquakes and out of this world expensive.)
8. Stevens Point, WI (Where?)
9. O'Fallon, MO (Not really fond of MO. Sorry, MO.)
10. Spencer, IA (Not really fond of IA. Sorry, IA.)

Looking at the rest of the list, I was considering Oswego. It is also too small to be realistic, but it looks nice and I would love to visit. I would love to maybe live in Anchorage, but it is awful expensive and Juneau has more of the weather I am looking for...but Juneau is too small. Haha.

My sister lives in Louisville and loves it, but it is just not my thing. Too far south, so not enough snow in the winter. Also, not like you can really take a dive in the Ohio.

Avon, IN? Got to be joking. The perfect picture of a soulless, big box infested suburb. Nothing redeeming about it. Probably used to be charming, but not anymore.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 AM

7 posts, read 16,982 times
Why no to Cary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
1. Asheville, NC (No.)
2. Traverse City, MI (Thought about it, but too small and isolated, wrong economy.)
3. Ithaca, NY (Thought about it, but husband thought it was too small.)
4. Chicago, IL (Thought about it, but too expensive.)
5. Cary, NC (No.)
6. Portland, ME (Thought about it, but too expensive.)
7. San Francisco, CA (No way. Earthquakes and out of this world expensive.)
8. Stevens Point, WI (Where?)
9. O'Fallon, MO (Not really fond of MO. Sorry, MO.)
10. Spencer, IA (Not really fond of IA. Sorry, IA.)

Looking at the rest of the list, I was considering Oswego. It is also too small to be realistic, but it looks nice and I would love to visit. I would love to maybe live in Anchorage, but it is awful expensive and Juneau has more of the weather I am looking for...but Juneau is too small. Haha.

My sister lives in Louisville and loves it, but it is just not my thing. Too far south, so not enough snow in the winter. Also, not like you can really take a dive in the Ohio.

Avon, IN? Got to be joking. The perfect picture of a soulless, big box infested suburb. Nothing redeeming about it. Probably used to be charming, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.