Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 AM

15 posts, read 41,209 times

Advertisements

I am applying to colleges and I picked these three states. Which one is best? I currently am in Alabama and I hate it. I want friendly people, nature, and no country hicks. And i like cold, rain, reading, writing, and animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
maine has got some great small liberal schools, bowdoin, bates, colby, as does VT and NH. northern new england meets your requirements.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
The "Hicks" in New England are more sophisticated than most of their counterparts in other regions of the country.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Maine is pretty conservative from what I've heard though, but probably not as much as parts of Alabama. so Maine would be good if that's your cup of tea.

Depending on what part of Oregon you went to it'd probably be major culture shock, but in a good way I think. There are quite a few good schools in Oregon, both public and private. Generally people are really friendly, and we've got plenty of nature and (depending where) plenty of rain.

Maybe if you told us a little more we could give you some more specifics.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant_decide! View Post
I am applying to colleges and I picked these three states. Which one is best? I currently am in Alabama and I hate it. I want friendly people, nature, and no country hicks. And i like cold, rain, reading, writing, and animals.
I think Oregon is your best bet. Lots of nature, rain, not to cold and as for "hicks" I guess it would depend on what part of Oregon. Eugene is very nice and I have heard good things about the college there.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks! I will definitely visit Oregon, if I don't go live there. It sounds like a wonderful place.
I don't really want to go to those private colleges, because I HAVE to be in a college marching band. I love it, and those schools don't have that.
I am planning on majoring in journalism, so far. It will probably change at some point.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
I would suggest looking at the colleges themselves. Find out which schools in those states have marching bands and good journalism departments. If you like the setting, but the school doesn't work for you, that's a problem, and you can find most of what you're seeking in any of those three states.

That said, to compare those three states for what you're looking for, the reading and writing part you can probably find in all three. There should be a good intellectual community in any state's college towns, and there does seem to be a tendency for writers and artistic types to be drawn to areas with spectacular natural scenery, which all three of these states have.

What kind of animals do you want? All three have interesting large animals, but they vary from place to place. You'll find moose and black bears in Maine, grizzlies and mountain lions in Montana (and they have grey wolves but I don't know how likely you would be to ever get to see one, as they often shy away from human settlement), and probably grizzlies and mountain lions in Oregon, as well as maybe Bigfoot. Then you'll also have the possibility of seeing marine animals in Maine or Oregon.

You can find cold in all three states, but less rain in Montana than in Maine or western Oregon. Be careful about assuming that all of OR is rainy. The eastern part is as dry as the rest of the interior West. Maine will offer the best combination of rain and cold, while in western OR you'll find less severe cold, but still plenty of chilly weather, and more rainy days.

I'd recommend giving a lot of weight to what the colleges in each state offer, but in much of Maine you'll be closer to larger population centers than in the other two states, while still being able to have a less crowded setting immediately surrounding you. If Maine has colleges offering what you need, that proximity to larger cities is something to consider, since it may mean more opportunities related to your major, such as the number and variety of internships available.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Maine.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times
If you visit Oregon, definatly check out Ashland! It sounds like a great fit for you. Eugene too.

And don't be so quick to exclude Washington State. Take a drive up I-5 and check it out. Bellingham would work for you perhaps. Be sure to check out the colleges.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Thank you Ogre!
Actually, I live in a college town in Alabama, and there is NOT a good intellectual community, so that isn't always true.
As for animals, I don't really care which kind, as long as there aren't people hunting them and trying to run over them all the time. I want to live in the kind of place that animals can coexist more safely than here. I want it to be a place that recycles and appreciates the environment. I've heard that it's against the law in Oregon to litter styrofoam products or something like that.
I don't want to live in a largely populated town, but I do believe it would be better for college and journalism. I am going to EXTENSIVELY check into all three colleges. They all sound so wonderful!
I have many months to decide though. I guess I'm just an over-excited teenager.
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.