Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 PM

395 posts, read 523,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
When did you live in Loudoun? Its very, very changed from what it used to be. My grandmother makes Sweet Tea, southern style apparently. But she doesn't consider herself Southern. She lives in MD. If you grew up in nova a long time ago, you would be southern. But now? No way jose
I am 29 years old. So it wasnt that long ago, lol. My parents are from Richmond, though. My mother called Loudoun "Occupied Virginia"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're right Houston is nothing like Richmond, Charleston, or Savannah. But it is nothing like Phoenix, Denver, or Albuqurque (sp). It is not Southwestern and many from the Southwest will tell you that. Many Texans may did tell you they aren't Southerners. They will also tell you they aren't Westerners. They WILL tell you they are Texans. But most Texans identify themselves as Southerners. Houston has alot in common with New Orleans and Memphis but that's about it.

DC isn't that much different than Baltimore. I have a map of the Northeast and DC is where it starts as well. NOBODY in the heart of the southeast would consider DC a Southeastern city. Nobody.
Oh really? I know a lady from Georgia who called DC a Southern Country town. Of course she said that about how it was in the 1950s.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM

If Y'all wanna put DC/NOVA in the Northeast go ahead. I just think its laughable. Thats all
Im done arguing!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Posting maps leads nowhere. DC is neither Northeast or Southeast. It is Mid-Atlantic along with Virginia and Maryland.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Oh really? I know a lady from Georgia who called DC a Southern Country town. Of course she said that about how it was in the 1950s.
yeah and times changed. Maybe I shouldn't say NOBODY because I shouldn't speak for all Southerners. But most people that identify what the South means and is to them would not classify DC as a Southern city. It has characteristics there. But there is also Northern characteristics as well.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
If Y'all wanna put DC/NOVA in the Northeast go ahead. I just think its laughable. Thats all
Im done arguing!
Welcome back to the forum, vasinger.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:55 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
VASINGER LOL! Dude, these old a$$ maps are truely archiac. DC has all of the characteristics of a NE city. I love this part:

Density - On par with Philly & Boston with more than 9500 ppsm
Weather - DC's weather is just like Baltimore & Philly -NYC did not get hardly any snow last winter.
Transportation - Second largest subway ridership behind NYC with more than 850,000 riders a day. What southern cities have transportation numbers like this?
Large Downtown Core - Third largest DT is the USA behind NYC & Chicago
Architecture - DC, Baltimore, Philly, Boston, (rowhomes)
Fast Paced - DC is more fast paced than Baltimore, Boston and Philly
Cosmopolitan - More like Atlanta or NYC?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Posting maps leads nowhere. DC is neither Northeast or Southeast. It is Mid-Atlantic along with Virginia and Maryland.
Virginia is really the start of the Southeast. At least Richmond is.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
I am 29 years old. So it wasnt that long ago, lol. My parents are from Richmond, though. My mother called Loudoun "Occupied Virginia"
in the last ten years, theres been a dramatic, DRAMATIC change in the entire DC area.

And Oh yea! Welcome back Vasigner!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
in the last ten years, theres been a dramatic, DRAMATIC change in the entire DC area.

And Oh yea! Welcome back Vasigner!
Who is VASINGER?

Oh BTW- Having been to Atlanta- I would say DC is more Southern than Atlanta, lol.

Nothing Southern about "Hotlanta" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.