Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 PM

395 posts, read 523,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
in the last ten years, theres been a dramatic, DRAMATIC change in the entire DC area.

And Oh yea! Welcome back Vasigner!
Are you saying Northern Virginia is a lot different than when I left in 1998?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:24 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I would like to hear from the people who are from the American South or Midwest who have moved or visit the Urban Northeast Cities (the Washington Dc to Boston route). Have you noticed like me that many of the people who live in this northeast zone are just plain harsh?

Yes, I know there are many nice people who live in that area of the country but I still notice a certain coldness and harshness in many of its people. I notice a lack of manners and more of a dog eat dog culture. You are more invisible there. Its a "you talking to me?" mentality?

Agree or disagree?
I agree...and I'm originally from the region!
It might have a little to do with the fact that I 'stepped away' for a few years and when I came back I really noticed the harshness...especially with being plunged into one of those larger northern cities!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Atlanta is not southern? Atlanta is the epitome of a southern city with its sprawl, highways, poor transportation options and very un-urban fabric. Have you been in prison? NOVA has changed drastically since 1998. Tysons Corner has more office space than Atlanta. Welcome home.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Atlanta is not southern? Atlanta is the epitome of a southern city with its sprawl, highways, poor transportation options and very un-urban fabric. Have you been in prison? NOVA has changed drastically since 1998. Tysons Corner has more office space than Atlanta. Welcome home.
It just didnt feel Southern to me. At all. I have lived in Richmond (my parents hometown) for the past 10 years so maybe Im used to a real Southern city. But when I went to Atlanta, you dont hear any Southern accents, people are rude, the traffic is awful, nobody lives downtown, and its just sprawl everywhere. Oh wait- thats Northern Virginia, lol!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Welcome back to the forum, vasinger.
I was just going to say that.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM

543 posts, read 559,041 times
I haven't dealt much with people from the Northeast. Those I have have generally been nice, though have tendency to say some of the most ignorant things (like commenting on someone's high school education due to the state's average, and having no background with the school commented on), like they haven't learned that the world isn't the way they see it. Some put the tough guy act. I think it's cute like a Irish terrier. A decent number of Midwesterners have been more stuck up in my experience. Then again, I know some stuck up Southerners.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Sprawl, highways, poor transportation options and it's development isn't what it means to be Southern. The hospitality, the feature, the culture, the pace, the energy, the gentleness is what Southern is. Sprawl, highways, and poor transportation is not only exclusive to the South. The burbs of DC (including the one you're touting in Mclean), Detroit, Chicago, and even New York are no different than the the sprawl in other parts of the country. Other than that, Atlanta is still southern and much more Southern than DC.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Sprawl, highways, poor transportation options and it's development isn't what it means to be Southern. The hospitality, the feature, the culture, the pace, the energy, the gentleness is what Southern is. Sprawl, highways, and poor transportation is not only exclusive to the South. The burbs of DC (including the one you're touting in Mclean), Detroit, Chicago, and even New York are no different than the the sprawl in other parts of the country.
I was about to say that. But ironically his comparison of Atlanta sounds a lot like DC which by that definiton- would make DC a Southern City.

BTW- Atlanta in general, I found lacked those Southern traits, although they are friendlier than New Yorkers.

How is Atlanta Southern? Yes, its geographically in the South. Thats about it. I could not find anything Southern about Atlanta. In fact, I found many more in common with the Northeast!

I dont think NOVA is the Northeast. Can we at least call it Mid-Atlantic?
If y'all heard me talk, you would never mistake me for one of those Yankees, lol.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Who is VASINGER?

LOL. You are. I don't know why people think they can play other people for a fool. VASINGER lives in Richmond, like you. He use to live in NOVA, like you. VASINGER also stated that DC is more southern than Atlanta, like you did. VASINGER also said that Texas is out west and Houston is western, like you did. It's really obvious.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LOL. You are. I don't know why people think they can play other people for a fool. VASINGER lives in Richmond, like you. He use to live in NOVA, like you. VASINGER also stated that DC is more southern than Atlanta, like you did. VASINGER also said that Texas is out west and Houston is western, like you did. It's really obvious.
Um, okay. Im sure Im not the only person who shares those sentiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.