Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that engineering majors work harder more than any other major. At my four years of undergrad, the engineers I knew were constantly busy with work and projects and a little stressed out. Five hours of studying a day sounds about right-- possibly even more than that at times. Other majors are much easier, much more "relaxed." Some majors you could get by studying five hours a WEEK. The postive to this is engineering majors have probably the highest salary of any major coming straight out of school-- so it all pays off-- in a few years, you'll be the one with the last laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,533 times
Depends upon your abilities as well. I know people who could drink 5 days a week and get straight A's in physics without cracking a book and others that had to study 5 hours a day just to get by in history.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
What kind of work load does one have in an urban planning major?

While in high school, I went on a tour of the architectural program that I would be attending that fall. The tour guides were students in the program, and they warned us that we would be working almost all the time. At the time, I thought they were either joking, exagerating, or just didn't manage their time as well as I would. I sure had a rude awakening when classes started. LOL.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It's no secret that engineering majors work harder more than any other major. At my four years of undergrad, the engineers I knew were constantly busy with work and projects and a little stressed out. Five hours of studying a day sounds about right-- possibly even more than that at times. Other majors are much easier, much more "relaxed." Some majors you could get by studying five hours a WEEK. The postive to this is engineering majors have probably the highest salary of any major coming straight out of school-- so it all pays off-- in a few years, you'll be the one with the last laugh.
Nursing majors, any science majors, writing majors, all put in a lot of time. It is possible to major in "underwater basketweaving" and not study much, but most majors require a fair amount.

It will not be 5 hrs every day. It may be zero hours one day and ten another.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,815 times
You'll find your "rythm" dear. Dont worry.

Personally...Im allergic to bringing homework home. ;-) Get as much of it done at school as you can.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:55 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
well my basic college plan is:

Monday: go to college classes, study for 3-5 hours, eat, watch tv and check email, shower, sleep
Tuesday: repeat
Wednsday: repeat
Thursday: repeat
Friday: go to Game Room Etc. Arcade, watch school sport game with friends
Saturday: go to Montclair Plaza Mall, go to Glass House in downtown Pomona
Sunday: go to church, do local shopping at Pomona Ranch Plaza

Old 09-20-2008, 01:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,722 times
I would agree that some majors are more challenging than others, but I'm an education major and people always say how easy it is and I just laugh. Unless you are in that major you do not realize the tests we have to take just to get accepted into the education department. And everyone says our work is easy and I honestly could smack them. It may not be rocket science or anything, but it takes a lot of skill and patience. Maybe that's b/c people here at my college think it is a "walk in the park" degree and they are completely wrong. I know many science and math majors who have less of a work load than those of us in education...just to throw that out.

I would have to also echo what others have said...you have to study and it is definitely not high school...but studying shouldn't take up ALL your time. You have to have a life, no matter what people say. It is tough...but it's all about time management. If you manage your time well and know the material, you will be fine. And trust me...you can study all you want, but if the subject is not your forte, you may still not do as well as you want. It's life...it's happened to me and many others I know. Just use some common sense, take good notes and pay attention to how the profs test...some will go right out of the book, others straight from notes and other you have to work your butt off for.

My suggestion is study and focus...but have fun and don't get in the mindset that it has to be your ENTIRE life.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Five hours of studying plus three or four hours in class equals a typical workday in the real world. As people become adults, they do learn to manage their time so that they can work such hours and still have time for family, friends, and fun. Developing those personal management skills will be part of the growing and learning process that is the college experience.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
What about those of us who are only middle-class and have to work full-time hours WHILE going to school in order to finance our $20,000+/year educations? Have professors no sympathy for those of us who already have no social life the way it is yet are also bogged down with a very stressful work life? I'm about to graduate and can safely say that my college experience was an AWFUL one. It's so "pleasant" to come to school to see my fellow peers tooling around in BMWs and Land Rovers while not working even one hour per week. The sad thing is that those are the ones who snag higher grades because they actually HAVE the time to spend two hours per each hour of classroom instruction reviewing what was taught to them that day.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess a lot of it depends on what your major is going to be. I went to college and got an English degree and I never did any homework other than reading the assigned chapters. In fact, I did not even buy the text books for the class. I got by on taking notes in class and going to the library (or using someone else's books) to do my assigned reading. Now granted, I sure didn't graduate with honors LOL but I got through it and that was all I cared about.

I suppose if you were going for a science degree that might not work. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Not to be a smart a**, but certainly you had to do some research papers. Those took up a lot of my time, but then we are talking the era before computers. Hire a typist LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.