Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Nobody ever said there was a "northeast" accent....but everyone is saying that there is a southern accent. In the northeast accents vary by state, in the south there all the same.

Show me two different southern accents. A guy from Texas speaks the same way as a guy from North Carolina in my eyes.
It's all in what you are exposed to and immersed in. You say northeastern accents vary by state because you're used of being in a northeastern state and noticing the nuances and variations of people in nearby states who speak sorta similar to you, but not quite the same. Someone who is less familiar with different northeastern accents may not be so in tune to pick up on those variations and therefore think they all sound the same.

In the south there's a similar thing. People down there are used of hearing accents like their own in their home area, and notice variations, nuances, differences when they travel elsewhere in the region. People from outside the region are not as likely to pick up on those variations and think that everything they're hearing sounds the same.

I grew up in Virginia and could tell you, based on listening to someone speak, which region of Virginia they were from. I have learned to do the same in New Jersey.

I have coworkers from India and China who can't tell the difference between New York accents and Georgia accents. They all sound "American" to them. Picking up on the differences depends on how immersed someone is in the "accent culture" (couldn't think of a better term at this moment) of a region.

I think regional accents of all kinds are awesome things. They frame part of peoples' identities, and make talking to new people quite interesting. Even accents that I find unpleasant (such as Sarah Palin's accent), I'm glad they exist. We'd all be so boring if we sounded the same.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 AM

122 posts, read 338,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Uhm, I didn't say you were stupid. I hate annoying Brooklyn accents too. They sound uneducated when they talk. I didn't day they WERE uneducated. Don't get your panties all in a wad. Thanks, by the way for the "yankee" comment.
What difference does it make! "sounding uneducated" ....it still IMPLIED! Twist it any way you like, that's what you're saying basically, if not techniquely.

I don't bother to have an opinion about anybody's "accent"! I don't go so far as to say somebody "sounds uneducated"! That's too broad of an assumption to make to begin with...

As far as my unmentionables...don't worry, they're fine. What you are failing to recognize is that this idea of yours is so common that is perceived to be fact, not to mention, completely arrogant. It is mentioned so often on most of the "southern" threads I've bothered to read, and that is what I was referring too.

I never said that YOU said I was stupid.

Last edited by tnprincess; 10-01-2008 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: spelling, realized I had more to say....

Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
I love southern accents, especially on women. it's one of the reasons i am moving from chicago to mississippi.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnprincess View Post
What difference doesn't it make! "sounding uneducated" ....it still IMPLIED!

I don't bother to have an opinion about anybody's "accent"! I don't go so far as to say somebody "sounds uneducated"! That's too broad of an assumption to make to begin with...

As far as my unmentionables...don't worry, they're fine. What you are failing to recognize is that this idea of yours is so common that is perceived to be fact, not to mention, completely arrogant. It is mentioned so often on most of the "southern" threads I've bothered to read, and that is what I was referring too.

I never said that YOU said I was stupid.
Wow, way to twist around that post. What, you have a strong southern accent or something? Get over yourself. I wasn't particularly trashing the southern accent. Calm down and have a sweet tea, jesus.

I can't help what you imply, but you implied wrong.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Wow, way to twist around that post. What, you have a strong southern accent or something? Get over yourself. I wasn't particularly trashing the southern accent. Calm down and have a sweet tea, jesus.

You expect her to calm down with that kind of condescension being thrown at her?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM

122 posts, read 338,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My mother and her sister grew up in a small town in south GA. My mother left at age 19 to get married and ended up in Atlanta; my aunt remained. Years later, their accents were completely different...my aunt's, of course being much more pronounced.
Good point, LovinDecatur!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:
All southern accents are annoying. It sounds like you are uneducated when you have a strong southern accent. Sometimes I can't even talk to someone with an accent for more than 5 minutes without saying that I gotta go. Maybe it's just me....
Well, I think it is just you, there, slick. I could put you in a room with 5 of the smartest people I know, all of whom possess low-country SC accents (think Chaaaahlston, if you actually know anything about the various Southern accents...) and you'd feel outclassed from the word "go".

Painting with so broad a brush will only get you a sore arm.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:

Oh. And it's "infer". Not "imply". To "imply" is to suggest. To "infer" is to receive suggestion.

Judy Vorfeld writes about everyday grammar issues

But what do I know? I have a Southern accent.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, I think it is just you, there, slick. I could put you in a room with 5 of the smartest people I know, all of whom possess low-country SC accents (think Chaaaahlston, if you actually know anything about the various Southern accents...) and you'd feel outclassed from the word "go".

Painting with so broad a brush will only get you a sore arm.
Hehe, I lived in Myrtle Beach for a few years. I got somewhat used to the accent deal. I even had some friends that had accents, but most of the accents were rather subtle, but when people from the Pee dee spoke, OMG. I couldn't even understand them. I don't mind talking to southerners, as long as they can be understood and they are not overdoing it in the accent.

Sometimes people from Boston pi$$ me off with that too. I'm from the Boston area, so sometimes I occasionally drop the r in my speech, but some of these people sound like they are mobsters. I generally don't have an accent.

So don't think that I'm hatin on you guys because I can't stand that heavy accent. Oh yeah and right back atcha, slick. Go ahead and make a thread about why you hate the northeastern accent. I don't care either way.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Oh. And it's "infer". Not "imply". To "imply" is to suggest. To "infer" is to receive suggestion.

Judy Vorfeld writes about everyday grammar issues

But what do I know? I have a Southern accent.
Jesus, it's easy to touch a nerve with you people. I now remember why I moved out of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.