Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 AM

395 posts, read 523,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
There's a southern woman who has a cooking program on the Food Channel [can't recall her name but she has a great southern accent of Savannah]. I actually like southern accents on women but not men. It seems sexy for women to have an accent but I get irritated when I hear a man with a southern accent. I don't think President Bush has helped dispel the myth of a southern accent meaning a yahoo.

Sorry, I missed the Paula Dean comments.
What if a man has a very soft Southern accent?
Bush speaks Texan. Thats something else, lol.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Oh my goodness. I hope you really dont think that way.. I really hope not.
Talk about ignorance.
Well, a bit harsh I admit, but that's how some people view those with Southern accents.

I have been a heavy critic of the South all of my life, but I realize there are good people everywhere. I am not offended by someone with a Southern accent unless they give me reason to be.

Right now, the like "valley girl" way of like speaking here in like CA, is like so bad. I mean ohmygod! It's like the worst! like Kewl! --> This is worst than any southern accent I've ever heard.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Um, theres lots of Country music that doesnt have a twang. Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash and many other artists. People dont know much about Country Music.
This is so true. Not all country stars are twangy. Oak Ridge Boys, Gatlin Brothers, Statler Brothers, Hank Williams Jr, Waylon....all come to mind.

If twang is your thang then Garth Brooks or some of George Strait's music will give you some swang.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:52 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
I have a mild Southern accent and I live in Chicago. It's never gotten me anything but positive attention (especially from women... which is nice...)

Besides, the words you speak are more important than how you speak them. Basic intelligence and education will be obvious regardless of your accent.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Because it is a reminder of a very barbaric and incredibly ignorant history, one that this country should be embarrassed about. People who have such accents are perceived to be among the most racist people in the word. It is perceived as being used by a person who is not too developed, almost offensive.
Oh Alexus, Alexus, Alexus...

Sure, many a bigot has had a Southern accent, but bigots have worn every dialect. Furthermore, many a Southerner was on the front lines fighting injustice and aiding progress.

To single out Southerners as being racists, or sole beneficiaries of racism, does several things:
A) It assumes that "Southern" means "Southern white". Most of my friends of color from back home readily refer to themselves as Southern.
B) It ignores the fact that our entire nation is culpable for the problems associated with Slavery, Reconstruction, injustice in the 20th Century, etc.
C) It assumes that "the South" is a monolithic unit. In fact, in addition to individual attitudes varying greatly, pervading attitudes vary by region. Most of the really severe bigotry I've seen has been in areas in which few actual people of color live. That goes for the North and the South.

So let's all just calm down.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM

395 posts, read 523,533 times
I LOVE these Southern accents:

Patsy Cline's Northern Shenandoah Valley accent: (she talks in this one!)

YouTube - Patsy Cline - Imagine That

Ward Burton's Southside Virginia accent:

YouTube - Ward Burton supports Mark Warner for U.S. Senate

Tom Wolfe's CLASSIC Richmond accent:

YouTube - Tom Wolfe: 800 years of American centuries

Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Right now, the like "valley girl" way of like speaking here in like CA, is like so bad. I mean ohmygod! It's like the worst! like Kewl! --> This is worst than any southern accent I've ever heard.
ohmygod!! You're soooo right! My former co-worker speaks like that, complete with the hand gestures. The funny thing is, we're in Kentucky!! And I'm like.. whateverrrrr

Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
I LOVE these Southern accents:

Patsy Cline's Northern Shenandoah Valley accent: (she talks in this one!)

YouTube - Patsy Cline - Imagine That

Ward Burton's Southside Virginia accent:

YouTube - Ward Burton supports Mark Warner for U.S. Senate

Tom Wolfe's CLASSIC Richmond accent:

YouTube - Tom Wolfe: 800 years of American centuries
Good point. I like Presidents Carter & Clinton's accents [also the examples you provided]. Its how a person communicates with good grammar that decides how I react to Southern accents [it is unfair to assume that the accent means racist.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:47 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Jeff Foxworthy said it best:
I used to say that whenever people heard my Southern accent, they always wanted to deduct 100 IQ points.

Although there is a double standard with the southern accent....it makes men sound less-than-intelligent, however, it makes women sound hot!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:54 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Jeff Foxworthy said it best:
I used to say that whenever people heard my Southern accent, they always wanted to deduct 100 IQ points.

Although there is a double standard with the southern accent....it makes men sound less-than-intelligent, however, it makes women sound hot!
Or does it just mean that you like less intelligent women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.