Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

of course i *could* live there. I would not want to live any further north than ketchikan though. I was there in July and weather was fine - low 70's. I imagine the winters aren't too brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Alaska is beautiful, but I just couldn't live in that cold climate.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:27 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Don't you get PAID to live in Alaska? If so, then yes i could get paid to live in alaska.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
of course i *could* live there. I would not want to live any further north than ketchikan though. I was there in July and weather was fine - low 70's. I imagine the winters aren't too brutal.
Not too brutal as far as temperatures are concerned, but the Panhandle's climate is like a more northerly version of Seattle's--gray and wet for nine months out of the year, far enough north so a lot of that moisture becomes snow (100"/yr. average in Juneau, about three feet in Ketchikan), and cool summers instead of Seattle's pleasantly warm summers, so you don't get those two months of gorgeous weather as the payoff for the months of gray chill.

That area around Wasilla, which is in the vicinity of Anchorage, might have the best climate in Alaska for my tastes. It's not especially damp there. Similar to southern Scandanavia, not so brutally cold in the winter as the Alaska interior. Winter temperatures similar to those in Mnnpls. As long as I stuck to southern AK, away from the truly brutal Arctic kind of winter weather, the length of winter would be more a drawback to the climate than its severity. As I understand it, around Anchorage, you can expect to add at least a month to a month and a half to each end of winter when compared to winters around 42 degrees of latitude (Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago). That might drag on way too long.

Still, my main question would be how much of a city Anchorage is. I'm not sure. It might be fine. If not, that would be a drawback for me. I'm not one for living right in a city. Not really big on true suburbs either. I'd prefer to settle down in more of a large town or small city, but would still like to be close enough for the occasional day trip to a large city. If Anchorage did not turn out to have enough big-city amenities to work, that would be an issue. If it were enough of a city for me, I could definitely live in that general part of Alaska. A city fairly close by, a friendly town with all the basic shopping needs for everyday life, and still with some really wide open wild land all around, right outside of town. That might truly be the best of all worlds. For that, I might be able to put up with six months of winter.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Could I?
yes
Would I?
no...the summers are nice though

Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
I could live in Anchorage. It's definitely large enough to have all of the city amenities (250,000+ people and it's the only large city for a thousand miles, it HAS to have city amenities). I would love the cool summers and the long, snowy winters. It would probably get too cold for me at times but I'd manage. It also seems like a beautiful place.

The only thing I'd really have to get used to imo is the shortness of the day in winter and the length of day in summer. That's what would bother me the most. Don't even ask about outside of Anchorage though. I'd feel lonely in a smaller town (I might manage Fairbanks but it would be way too cold in the winter).

Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM

338 posts, read 613,675 times
Not to live, but for vacation.
I lived in Sweden for 16 years, and summers there are low 70s (but there are many days with 80s) and winters are mid 20s to low 30's.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:58 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
No. I couldn't live there. I'm not much of a wilderness person.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:59 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,791 times
I love Palin lol, and Alaska looks beautiful, but no I could not live there

Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Don't you get PAID to live in Alaska? If so, then yes i could get paid to live in alaska.
Not anymore I don't think.

I could handle summers in Alaska. I hear they're wonderful in Fairbanks. or I could live year-round in SE Alaska since it's a bit more mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.