Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

[quote=MD_IS_NORTH;6365344][quote]
First of all, I was agreeing with Missy's post vs your ridiculous claim where you stated that the only Southern influence in DC was blacks that had relocated to Anacostia. I twisted nothing she said, and agreed with her reasoning.
Quote:

Nonsense!.You tried to twist her post into trying to validate that nonsense you spoke.First off regardless what Missy states and how she feels DC's southern influence is primarily from the African americans that come from Southeastern,DC.Majority of these African americans have close ties to the south and family bloodlines that extend to the south,having come from the south themselves.How could the truth be ridiculous.Her post only pointed to the small southern influences coming from southern Maryland and its close proximity to southern states.Get your mind right kid.

The only rambling garbage is your nefarious claim that Grits in Maryland made it southern..The Mason Dixon line is extinct and barely referenced or referred to.The northeastern corridor has much more established credibility and its history unlike the Mason Dixon line does not contradict its meaning.Yet you continue to blabber nonsense and ignoring reality due to your sheer ignorance toward it and your personal desire for Maryland to be southern when all points to it being a northern state.It is northern and you will never prove otherwise.

Your braincells act as if it cannot process the reality that one of the main Mason Dixon line purpose was to seperate the slave states from the non slave states and the northern states having illegal slavery further validate my point that the meaning is a total contradiction to the reality.Your so focused on trying to be right your ignore reality and your logical is rather illogical.

Oh sit down with this nonsense.You made an assumption that my mentality is North is good and Southern is bad which is probably based on your own inferiority complex which is why your so stuck on trying to pigeonhole Maryland as being southern when everything points to it being a Northern state while you can only rely on 2 things.One which contradicts itself and the other which chose to go by the Mason Dixon line.You so far have accused everyone or many here who go against your false statements and ignorance of having hatred for the south,yet i have yet to see any statements or insinuations from most the members here claiming the north is the souths superior.So far you rely on assumptions likely based on your subconscious unawareness of an inferiority complex.Stop blabbering and stop trying to have the last word like some catty female and just accept your faults and the fact that your statements are by far nefarious and you chose to identify Maryland as being southern due to your pride which is quite obvious by your choice to ignore the reality about the truth regarding the Mason Dixon Line,The Southern Confederate states even when it was popular,the climate,the non extreme religious and the fact that without humans claiming Maryland is anything it lays in the Northeastern coast and not the Southeastern which is common sense.Yet your anger and attempts to have the last word have blocked your braincells from processing this logic which leads you to insinuate that Grits in Maryland is the reason it is a southern state.

What does you being a white man that voted for Obama have to do with your ignorance and denial of Maryland being a northern state? Not once did anyone say anything racist toward you or assumed you were even white.Yet due to your own complexes which is obvious by your post you must felt the need to tell me you are white and voted for Obama.That ridiculous rant is just as absurd as someone caucasion claiming they are not racist because they watch Oprah every day,Goodtimes and eat Collard Greens.

Your complexes are showing.
God, kid - just put down the crack pipe already.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM

130 posts, read 412,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Where did I say any of that?

Excuse me,insinuated that.Regardless what your insinuations were.The fact remains most of DC's southern influence was brought from the African americans that originally came from the south or have close ties.Look up the origins of the average African american from southeastern,DC.However i do see relevance in your statements regarded Marylands small southern influences which are at best minimal when compared to the northern influences.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM

[quote=johnatl;6365834][quote=MD_IS_NORTH;6365344]
Quote:
First of all, I was agreeing with Missy's post vs your ridiculous claim where you stated that the only Southern influence in DC was blacks that had relocated to Anacostia. I twisted nothing she said, and agreed with her reasoning.

God, kid - just put down the crack pipe already.
Coming from a man that claims Grits in Maryland is another reason its southern?

Take your own advice.The majority here and in past threads like this have disagreed with you and identify it as the majority of americans have.NORTHERN.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM

DC has Southern roots because when it was founded it was carved from a place that AT THAT TIME was Southern - Maryland. You just don't get it. DC was BORN of the South. Like it or not, deny it or not - the entire areas roots are Southern.

DEAL WITH IT!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM

I mentioned grits as an example. Do you know what an example is?

You probably wouldn't know a grit if one pinged you in your pointed little head.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
The Confederate States of America (also called the Confederacy, the Confederate States, and CSA) formed as the government set up from 1861 to 1865 by eleven southern states of the United States of America that had declared their secession from the U.S. The CSA's de facto control over its claimed territory varied during the course of the American Civil War, depending on the success of its military in battle.

Quote:

[edit] Seceding states

Confederate States
in the
American Civil WarSouth Carolina
Mississippi
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Louisiana
Texas
Virginia
Arkansas
North Carolina
Tennessee

Dual governmentsKentucky
Missouri

Border statesDelaware
Maryland
West Virginia

Claimed territoriesIndian Territory
New Mexico
Arizona

Seven states declared their secession before Lincoln took office on March 4, 1861:
  1. South Carolina (December 20, 1860)[2]
  2. Mississippi (January 9, 1861)[3]
  3. Florida (January 10, 1861)[4]
  4. Alabama (January 11, 1861)[5]
  5. Georgia (January 19, 1861)[6]
  6. Louisiana (January 26, 1861)[7]
  7. Texas (February 1, 1861)[8]
After the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861, and Lincoln's subsequent call for troops on April 15, four more states declared their secession:[9]
  1. Arkansas (May 6, 1861)[10]
  2. Virginia (April 17, 1861)[11]
  3. Tennessee (May 7, 1861)[12][13]
  4. North Carolina (May 20, 1861)[14]
Two more slave states had rival secessionist governments. The Confederacy admitted them, but the pro-Confederate state governments soon went into exile and never controlled the states[citation needed]:
  1. Missouri did not secede[citation needed] but a rump group proclaimed secession (October 31, 1861).[15][16]
  2. Kentucky did not secede[citation needed] but a rump, unelected group proclaimed secession (November 20, 1861).[17][18]
Although the slave states of Maryland and Delaware did not secede, many citizens from those states joined the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.

[edit] Seceding territories

The Confederacy also claimed the portion of the New Mexico Territory (modern New Mexico and Arizona) south of the 34th parallel as the Confederate Arizona Territory, on February 14, 1862,[19] with Mesilla serving as the territory capital.[20] The Union regained military control of the area, and on February 24, 1863 set up the Arizona Territory with Fort Whipple as the capital.
Confederate supporters claimed portions of modern-day Oklahoma as Confederate territory after the Union abandoned and evacuated the federal forts and installations in the territory. On July 12, 1861 the newly formed Confederate States government signed a treaty with both the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian nations in the Indian Territory.[21][22]

[edit] Causes of secession

Main article: Origins of the American Civil War
By 1860 sectional disagreements between North and South revolved primarily around the maintenance or expansion of slavery. Historian Drew Gilpin Faust observed that, "leaders of the secession movement across the South cited slavery as the most compelling reason for southern independence."[23] Related and intertwined secondary issues also fueled the dispute; these secondary differences (real or perceived) included tariffs, agrarianism vs. industrialization, and states' rights. The immediate spark for secession was the victory of the Republican Party and the election of Abraham Lincoln in the 1860 election. Civil War historian James M. McPherson wrote:
To southerners the election’s most ominous feature was the magnitude of Republican victory north of the 41st parallel. Lincoln won more than 60 percent of the vote in that region, losing scarcely two dozen counties. Three-quarters of the Republican congressmen and senators in the next Congress would represent this “Yankee” and antislavery portion of the free states. The New Orleans Crescent saw these facts as “full of portentous significance”. “The idle canvas prattle about Northern conservatism may now be dismissed,” agreed the Richmond Examiner. “A party founded on the single sentiment... of hatred of African slavery, is now the controlling power.” No one could any longer “be deluded... that the Black Republican party is a moderate” party, pronounced the New Orleans Delta. “It is in fact, essentially, a revolutionary party.”[24]

Four of the seceding states, the Deep South states of South Carolina,[25] Mississippi,[26] Georgia,[27] and Texas,[28] issued formal declarations of causes, each of which identified the threat to slaveholders’ rights as the cause of, or a major cause of, secession; Georgia also claimed a general Federal policy of favoring Northern over Southern economic interests. In what later came to be known as the Cornerstone Speech, C.S. Vice President Alexander Stephens declared that the "cornerstone" of the new government "rest[ed] upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth".[29]
Historian William J. Cooper Jr., in his biography of the Confederate president Jefferson Davis, wrote, “From at least the time of the American Revolution white southerners defined their liberty, in part, as the right to own slaves and to decide the fate of the institution without any outside interference.”[30] Speaking specifically of Davis, Cooper wrote:
For his entire life he believed in the superiority of the white race. He also owned slaves, defended slavery as moral and as a social good, and fought a great war to maintain it. After 1865 he opposed new rights for blacks. He rejoiced at the collapse of Reconstruction and the reassertion of white superiority with its accompanying black subordination.[31]

In his farewell speech to the United States Congress, Davis made clear his view that the secession crisis had stemmed from the Republican Party's failure "to recognize our domestic institutions [an acknowledged euphemism for slavery] which pre-existed the formation of the Union -- our property which was guarded by the Constitution.

MY POINT IS PROVEN!

YOU DONT GET IT!

THE MASON DIXON LINE NEVER HAD ANY REAL ESTABLISHMENT BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE POST.DEAL WITH IT!,READ IT,WEEP IT,OBSERVE IT,GAIN KNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT MARYLAND AS A NORTHERN STATE.

GIVE IT UP!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_IS_NORTH View Post
Excuse me,insinuated that.Regardless what your insinuations were.The fact remains most of DC's southern influence was brought from the African americans that originally came from the south or have close ties.Look up the origins of the average African american from southeastern,DC.However i do see relevance in your statements regarded Marylands small southern influences which are at best minimal when compared to the northern influences.
I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth. I was simply putting what states I think are the South and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM

Regardless what you think,The state is Northern and your post led me to believe you insinuated they were northern having used the word""BEGAN""as opposed to making clear that yu believed they still were.

In any case

More proof

Quote:
The Maryland–Pennsylvania boundary is an east-west line with an approximate mean latitude of 39° 43' 20" N (Datum WGS 84). In reality, the east-west Mason-Dixon line is not a true line in the geometric sense

Old 11-30-2008, 03:52 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3f/US_map-South_Historic_1.PNG/300px-US_map-South_Historic_1.PNG (broken link)

Quote:
Historic Southern United States. The states in red were in the Confederacy and have historically been regarded as forming "the South." Those in stripes were considered "Border" states, and gave varying degrees of support to the Southern cause although they remained in the Union. (This image depicts the original, trans-Allegheny borders of Virginia, and so does not show West Virginia separately. See image below for post-1863 Virginia and West Virginia borders.)

Quote:
Modern definition The states in dark red are almost always included in modern day definitions of the South, while those in medium red are usually included. Maryland and Missouri are occasionally considered Southern, while Delaware is only rarely considered part of the South. Oklahoma is sometimes considered Southern because the area of Oklahoma, then known as Indian Territory, was allied with the Confederacy. West Virginia is often considered Southern, because it was once part of Virginia.
Ahem!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the little history lesson, but I already knew all of that.

You have proven nothing.

The Mason-Dixon line not being truly geometric means they didn't know how to draw a straight line back then. That's all, LOL! You wishing it away or claiming it isn't relevent doesn't matter. Same thing applies here, to the border between Georgia and Tennessee. The line drawn back in the day is now being called into question, because it isn't geometric.

Better luck next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.