U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,613,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
i don't agree with that. Delaware and Maryland are beyond a shadow of doubt not Southern. You can feel and sense a huge change in culture and attitudes between them and Virginia. Even the climate is different, especially since D.C. lies right along the isotherm/isofreeze line. Virginia doesn't really get a whole lot of snow outside of Appalachia. Maryland and Delaware were much more industrial than Virginia, and they fit in better with the Bos-Wash Corridor. Once you get south of that region, there is a significant cultural change in almost every single possible way. Cuisine, dialect, demographics, politics, etc.
Drive down Rt 13, and right on the border of MD/VA (on the VA side, obviously), you see this sign:

Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM

3,742 posts, read 7,231,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Robert McGarrett View Post
Here's a nice government map (from one of the websites of the U.S. Department of Energy) that clearly shows Maryland and Delaware among the Southern states of the South Atlantic Region.

[SIZE=2]
[source: www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/reps/rpmap/rp_so-atl.html][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Michael R. McGarrett[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Port Tobacco, Maryland[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
The only problem with that is that the government is always going to show you that map because it doesn't like to break with tradition as far as the M-D line is concerned. To them, any states mostly below the 36 degree line, east to the beginning of the Ohio River, along the Ohio River to the PA/WV and then PA/MD border, are below the Mason-Dixon line simply because they probably don't want to reorganize the lines. I can tell you with absolute certainty that the majority of citizens residing within Maryland and Delaware would say their state isn't Southern. in fact, the University of North Carolina even conducted a study on the percentage of people in states that considered themselves Southern. It was found that the majority of Marylanders and Delawarians do not consider themselves Southern. You are in a struggling minority that think otherwise.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Drive down Rt 13, and right on the border of MD/VA (on the VA side, obviously), you see this sign:
That really doesn't surprise me, in fact it even supports my argument. Now that is the portion of Maryland (the eastern shore) that is undoubtedly Southern...the rest of the state is not though. That sign area is pretty far southeast of the Bos-Wash corridor and at least 50 miles South of D.C. in terms of latitude. Richmond, Virginia, is probably about the same distance from that area as D.C. is anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,379,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Excellent photo find. I think we need to kill this thread. It isn't going anywhere. Nearly everyone except pro-Confederacy Mr. McGarret thinks MD is Northeastern or a combination with leanings to the North.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM

347 posts, read 799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Excellent photo find. I think we need to kill this thread. It isn't going anywhere. Nearly everyone except pro-Confederacy Mr. McGarret thinks MD is Northeastern or a combination with leanings to the North.
Yea I think that photo pretty much ended the thread.lol

Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM

27 posts, read 68,814 times
That was a very interesting photograph that was posted to this forum earlier today by tahiti. I believe that it first appeared upon being posted on the flickr.com website, having been taken a few years ago by a photographer gentleman whose nickname/handle on flickr.com is "markva2". I thank tahiti for bringing it to our attention. Yes, it was taken on the Delmarva Peninsula, on Rt. 13 going southbound where you cross the border between the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I chuckled when I read the sign that said "The South Starts Here". It was a proudful boast, indeed; but, I remained totally unconvinced. I even thought about putting a sign at the entrance of my property that would say "The Kennedy Space Center Starts Here"; but, no one would believe it. LOL At any rate, everyone knows that the South starts in Maryland just as soon as you cross that old Mason-Dixon Line upon leaving Pennsylvania ("The Keystone State") and entering southbound into the "Old Line State" of Maryland.
I understand that this thread may be coming to an end. Please know that I've really enjoyed this forum. It was interesting, challenging and sometimes quite entertaining. Thanks to the moderator(s) and to all of the participants. I'll make this my final posting here. [Do I hear applause?] LOL It was good to be in this debate, which will go on for many years, I'm sure. I'll leave you with a link to a song/video called "Sailing to Philadelphia". It was written and sung by the great Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits fame). It's his tribute to the English team of Charles Mason (an astronomer) and Jeremiah Dixon (a surveyor), who sailed from England to Philadelphia at the behest of the British Crown in order to "draw the line" and to bring to an end the long-standing and sometimes violent boundary dispute here in America between the colonial proprietors of Maryland (the Calvert family) and the colonial proprietors of Pennsylvania (the Penn family). The work began in 1763. By the way, Knopfler (a writer and an avid reader of history in his own right) is said to have written the song while he was on a flight from London to Philadelphia in order to give a concert performance. Please find the link below, y'all. Take care! May the abundant blessings of the good Lord be given to all of you and to your families.

YouTube - Sailing to Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler

Very best regards,
Michael R. McGarrett
Port Tobacco, Maryland

Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 PM

12,284 posts, read 32,613,815 times
Quote:
That was a very interesting photograph that was posted to this forum earlier today by tahiti. I believe that it first appeared upon being posted on the flickr.com website, having been taken a few years ago by a photographer gentleman whose nickname/handle on flickr.com is "markva2". I thank tahiti for bringing it to our attention. Yes, it was taken on the Delmarva Peninsula, on Rt. 13 going southbound where you cross the border between the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I chuckled when I read the sign that said "The South Starts Here". It was a proudful boast, indeed; but, I remained totally unconvinced. I even thought about putting a sign at the entrance of my property that would say "The Kennedy Space Center Starts Here"; but, no one would believe it. LOL At any rate, everyone knows that the South starts in Maryland just as soon as you cross that old Mason-Dixon Line upon leaving Pennsylvania ("The Keystone State") and entering southbound into the "Old Line State" of Maryland.
<snip>

i brought it to everyone's attention because I passed it twice last week and thought it was pretty relevant to this discussion. i found it extremely interesting.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I understand that this thread may be coming to an end. Please know that I've really enjoyed this forum. It was interesting, challenging and sometimes quite entertaining. Thanks to the moderator(s) and to all of the participants. I'll make this my final posting here. [Do I hear applause?] LOL It was good to be in this debate, which will go on for many years, I'm sure. I'll leave you with a link to a song/video called "Sailing to Philadelphia". It was written and sung by the great Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits fame). It's his tribute to the English team of Charles Mason (an astronomer) and Jeremiah Dixon (a surveyor), who sailed from England to Philadelphia at the behest of the British Crown in order to "draw the line" and to bring to an end the long-standing and sometimes violent boundary dispute here in America between the colonial proprietors of Maryland (the Calvert family) and the colonial proprietors of Pennsylvania (the Penn family). The work began in 1763. By the way, Knopfler (a writer and an avid reader of history in his own right) is said to have written the song while he was on a flight from London to Philadelphia in order to give a concert performance. Please find the link below, y'all. Take care! May the abundant blessings of the good Lord be given to all of you and to your families.

YouTube - Sailing to Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler

Very best regards,
Michael R. McGarrett
Port Tobacco, Maryland
Apart from the Mason-Dixon line, which is a 200 year old definition in itself, most of your claims hold no water by modern times. Maryland after the Civil War became a Northeastern state by most definitions. There is almost no change in culture and accents when you cross from Southern Pennsylvania into Delaware and Maryland. A very different story applies to Virginia.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 AM

15,400 posts, read 20,184,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money23 View Post
Do you think de and maryland is south or north but my way its the south part or border why ppl think its north in south well some ppl say
The North IMHO.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,379,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Apart from the Mason-Dixon line, which is a 200 year old definition in itself, most of your claims hold no water by modern times. Maryland after the Civil War became a Northeastern state by most definitions. There is almost no change in culture and accents when you cross from Southern Pennsylvania into Delaware and Maryland. A very different story applies to Virginia.
That's the general consensus. So I guess we can leave this topic alone, until another person not from the area unwittingly opens it again on a new thread two weeks from now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or