Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 18,869 times

Advertisements

If the state is below the Mason-Dixon Line, then it is the South.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymel View Post
If the state is below the Mason-Dixon Line, then it is the South.
No...it's not. Not in this century anyway. This thread should be closed anyhow, we finished this discussion a long time ago.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 PM

214 posts, read 427,222 times
Itz like this: Major cities in the south like Raleigh-Durham, Baltimore, Norhten Va, Dover, DC are southern cites technically are south with huge northern influenence, traffic, fast pace, and a huge amount of northern transplants. Different from and not as southern as Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, Colombia but and no wise like New Haven(my stomping grounds)Boston, Philly, Providence, Manhattan, or Hartford. North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware has always had a different feel than, say, Mississippi, Georgia, alabama . More of a blend of South and Mid-Atlantic. That probably goes back to before the Civil War. The "Southerness" of Raleigh, Norhtern VA, BMORE etc has shifted somewhat since the current "Northern influx/invasion" began. But the states as wholes are still generally southern thats it thats the way it iz plain and simple don't care what idiot disagrees and tries to put Maryland in the northeast including Amtrax

Old 09-26-2009, 05:21 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,198 times
well who died and made you god?

the new mason-dixon line is the nc/va border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Itz like this: Major cities in the south like Raleigh-Durham, Baltimore, Norhten Va, Dover, DC are southern cites technically are south with huge northern influenence, traffic, fast pace, and a huge amount of northern transplants. Different from and not as southern as Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, Colombia but and no wise like New Haven(my stomping grounds)Boston, Philly, Providence, Manhattan, or Hartford. North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware has always had a different feel than, say, Mississippi, Georgia, alabama . More of a blend of South and Mid-Atlantic. That probably goes back to before the Civil War. The "Southerness" of Raleigh, Norhtern VA, BMORE etc has shifted somewhat since the current "Northern influx/invasion" began. But the states as wholes are still generally southern thats it thats the way it iz plain and simple don't care what idiot disagrees and tries to put Maryland in the northeast including Amtrax

Old 09-26-2009, 07:15 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,088 times
Let's not start up this repetitive argument again....If you read back through the 39 pages or look at identical threads on the MD and DE and DC boards, you'll find that most today that Maryland and Delaware leaned towards the South in the many years prior to the Civil War (including the time of the Missouri compromise which put the M-D Line into use as a North-South border), but now are heavily Northeastern.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 50,224 times
North.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
well who died and made you god?

the new mason-dixon line is the nc/va border.
PIC Richmond or Norfolk VA, or Marlboro MD up norf LMAO now thats funny Oh well the government doesnt think so are you serious? are just delirious trying to put half the south in with us real northerners lol? out of your mind maybe but maybe you should come up and visit Connecticut, Boston, Newark, and then go to somewhere like Haigerstown or La Plata, Maryland and then tell me rather Maryland is still the north. Connecticut, PA, New York, New Jersey are not Maryland brotherstates just because Maryland is the richest southern state MD brotherstates are NC and VA. Oh yeah and I met plenty of people from DC born and raised who have very countrified accents and Delaware has really nothing but small towns and NASCAR fans and you can get eggs and good ole grits.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I have been to Baltimore...no way it has a southern feel at all. I knew a couple from Maryland that claimed it was the south, but they sounded very Northeastern (and yes, I know what Yankee talk sounds like cause I lived in Boston for a while) to my ear being from Oklahoma and Texas.
Of course somebody from an countified deep south state Texas, Arkansas, etc I see why you would think its the north. DUH!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
South

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM

141 posts, read 479,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
PIC Richmond or Norfolk VA, or Marlboro MD up norf LMAO now thats funny Oh well the government doesnt think so are you serious? are just delirious trying to put half the south in with us real northerners lol? out of your mind maybe but maybe you should come up and visit Connecticut, Boston, Newark, and then go to somewhere like Haigerstown or La Plata, Maryland and then tell me rather Maryland is still the north. Connecticut, PA, New York, New Jersey are not Maryland brotherstates just because Maryland is the richest southern state MD brotherstates are NC and VA. Oh yeah and I met plenty of people from DC born and raised who have very countrified accents and Delaware has really nothing but small towns and NASCAR fans and you can get eggs and good ole grits.
I grew up eating grits and im from Philly, do that make me southern? Both states have southern elements. But imo they are northern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.