Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 04:14 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
Maryland, Virginia, West VA, Oklahoma and Texas are NOT truly southern IMO.
MD, VA, West VA are mid-atlantic. OKlahoma is midwestern and texas is southwestern.
Virginia is southern besides Northern VA which is midatlantic along with Maryland, Delaware, southern Jersey/PA, and parts of Northeastern WV. I would also consider Texas and Kentucky southern, and eastern Texas a part of the deep south. West VA is half southern and half midatlantic/midwestern in my opinion with the bottom half of the state being southern.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM

134 posts, read 126,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*grins* Actually, CS...I think this poster is the other guy under a different name. Too many similarities. And? I am always a little suspicious as those who don't provide even a semblence of information about themselves.

LATER EDIT: Sorry. mis-spoke, perhaps! Anyway, if a Mod can remove this post, then I would apprciate it. I may have spoken too hastily.
LOL Who? MK? That's not me. Like I want everyone to know everything about me and post a picture of myself on a forum when I just joined today.

And I am female by the way.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM

I said that VA MD WV OK KY and TX are not true blue southern states. All have southern qualities to them, but are not always considered southern. Texas is really..Texas. I was born and raised in VA and I consider myself an American first, not a southerner. I may have a southern accent and cook southern foods etc, but that is mostly because my parents were from Georgia. A friend of mine in maryland also has a southern accent that is more pronounced than mine but her parents were also from a REAL southern state. You would swear she was from the deep south. I would say that Virginia is somewhat southern. But not as southern as south carolina for example.

Another friend of mine from Sweden was always interested in the southern united states. The best place to find southern culture is in the deep south states. Not Virginia or Maryland lol. With that said we spent the week in Savannah Georgia and IMO she got a pretty good taste of the southern culture. If you want the real southern experience you go to the deep south (any state below South Carolina and east of TX)

Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepit100 View Post
No Texas is a southern state in every which way.
Cowboys, the Mexican influence, and a huge desert landscape are typical of the south lol, Get real.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
It seems like this debate will never end.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
It seems like this debate will never end.
It's because everybody has a two cents to throw in. And most folks feel it ain't over until their opinion is the opinion.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
LOL Who? MK? That's not me. Like I want everyone to know everything about me and post a picture of myself on a forum when I just joined today.

And I am female by the way.
Like I said, I spoke a bit hastily on that particular aspect! No, it doesn't appear you are not that person! I will rejoin in a minute...

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Cowboys, the Mexican influence, and a huge desert landscape are typical of the south lol, Get real.
OK...one at a time...

"Get real"? LMAO

I just have to ask how old you are and what are your credentials in the area of Southern studies and research? You want to have a debate/discussion on the matter? Then you oughta start off by not presuming to condecend to me. I PROMISE you -- if you take that approach -- that I am more than up to the task...

Now, I hasten to add, that you are certainly entitled to your opinion, of course. But...your theme song is fairly typical of those who really don't know all that much about what the whole historical/cultural concept of "the South"...what it is all about, and how it came about.

Did you know, for instance, that the prototype of the Texas cowboy was a direct prodgeny of the Old South cattle drover? NOT the Mexican vaquero...and that the "cattle boom" era, further, traces back the the fall of Vicksburg?

The Mexican influence? Certainly it exists and is a proud and colorful part of the states history. But...well...to quote from Raymond Gastils "Cultural Regions of the United States":

Unlike the Interior Southwest, neither aboriginal Indian nor Spanish-American culture played a central role in the definition of the area. The people of Texas are mostly from the Lower, Upper, and Mountain South and these Southerners easily outnumbered the Spanish speaking and Indian people even before the state joined the Union. Therefore, when we refer to a large Spanish-speaking population in Texas, we are primarily speaking of a relatively recent immigrant population, quite different from the core areas of the Interior Southwest."

Desert? About 10% of Texas is really desert. Most is sub-tropical. Those old "western movies" of the 50's and 60's era were actually filmed in Arizona and southern California. The pine forests of Texas are roughly as large as the state of Kentucky.

Now then, please rejoin and share your knowledge of Texas history. Lets have a good un'!

What you are doing is, it seems to me, starting from the premise that the "southEAST" is synonymous with "South". That's fine, I suppose, but I am asking you WHY you think so? Or proceed from a predication that has no historical support, when it comes right down to it. Why, tell me, does "Southeast = South". I want to hear your rationale.

And further? Do you really want to go on record and say that those of us in Texas who are proud of our Southern heritage, are deluding ourselves into believing we dont have the historical/cultural credentials?

Good gawdamighty...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-21-2010 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Texas Reb, you are just about one of the coolest folks I've met here.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's because everybody has a two cents to throw in. And most folks feel it ain't over until their opinion is the opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.