Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times

Advertisements

The answer to the question is: Only if you are dyslexic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM

395 posts, read 523,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The answer to the question is: Only if you are dyslexic.
And I disgaree. Its all about perception. I look at the whole map of the USA and see how everything is in relation to each other. Most people just look at one part of the map and how it relates .

Old 09-20-2008, 02:21 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
I was wondering how people divide the country into regions ie. NE, South, Southeast

When I look at the map I see the NE as New England and New York state. New York state is a BIG state.

Then comes PA and NJ and DE- thats Mid-Atlantic. MD and West VA fit into most of the Mid-Atlantic as well.

When you hit VA- starting with Loudoun County- you are in the Upper South. VA along with KY and lower Maryland and lower West VA and NC

TN , ARK is Mid South

Deep South: SC, GA, ALA, MISS, LA, NORTHERN FL (rest of FL is Northeast, lol)

Texas is out West

The Upper Midwest: OH, and the Great lakes states and Iowa and the Dakotas
Then Central Midwest- NE, KS, AND OK

Then West Coast-CA, OR, WASHINGTON

Then Southwest- TX, ARIZ, NEW MEXICO etc

Is that abnormal to see it that way?
Don't lump us Northwesterners in with California.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
That's great you're from Virginia and seem to know your atlas. Yes, Texas is out west to you geographically. But West Texas is more western and East Texas is more southern, and then there's South Texas which is more like Far North Mexico. Texas is a big state! No matter how you try to characterize it and whittle it down, it doesn't belong in any single region except its own. Texas is Texas. Sorry to disappoint.
I think you're talking to a brick wall. I've already stated this to him and he continues to call Texas the west. Texas is not the southwest in any way shape or form. Outside of El Paso, the rest of the state has little in common with Arizona, New Mexico, or Utah.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think you're talking to a brick wall. I've already stated this to him and he continues to call Texas the west. Texas is not the southwest in any way shape or form. Outside of El Paso, the rest of the state has little in common with Arizona, New Mexico, or Utah.
Then the Texans I have met who call themselves Westerners are lying?
I guess so.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Then the Texans I have met who call themselves Westerners are lying?
I guess so.
IMO Texas is more southern than Virginia.

Calling Texas west is like calling Virginia north.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
And this is important because??
Just thought you would want to know that when they give the weather, NC is considered mid-atlantic. Not my idea, I just noticed that. NY is not considered mid-atlantic. I think mid-atlantic stops at about Washington, DC.

The only time I think of the states being separated is when the weather forecast is given. Before that, we are all together except those other two.

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/research/th...idatlantic.png

In looking for this map, I discovered there is a difference between Mid-Atlantic States and mid-atlantic weather map. Two separate things, evidently. I just always knew they gave our weather as mid-atlantic, so I learned to listen for this.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/gra...idatlantic.php

Last edited by NCN; 09-20-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
IMO Texas is more southern than Virginia.

Calling Texas west is like calling Virginia north.
Texas has its OWN culture that isnt really Southern, IMO. Virginia is more like the Old South. I live in Richmond , so I know a little bit about Virginia. You are from the Bronx, NY telling me about my own state, lol.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
And this is important because??
Just thought you would want to know that when they give the weather, NC is considered mid-atlantic. Not my idea, I just noticed that. NY is not considered mid-atlantic. I think mid-atlantic stops at about Washington, DC.

The only time I think of the states being separated is when the weather forecast is given. Before that, we are all together except those other two.
NC Mid-Atlantic? Shoot why not just call Alabama Mid-Atlantic, lol
Now Ive heard everything!

Houstoun, we have a problem, lol

Old 09-20-2008, 06:05 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Texas has its OWN culture that isnt really Southern, IMO. Virginia is more like the Old South. I live in Richmond , so I know a little bit about Virginia. You are from the Bronx, NY telling me about my own state, lol.
You seem to tell me alot of things about my city that I never knew.

Just my opinion, looking down from the Bronx. I feel if I get sent to the heart of Texas, I would have a harder time adjusting to the culture because everythign I associate with the south is in Texas. I been to DC, and Virginia is closer to me than Texas. It's also on my coast and is not located in the geographic south. So I could deal with that. Just my opinion that Texas is way more southern. You dont have to agree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.