Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,728,922 times

Advertisements

My daughter is one quarter American Indian and has heard she might be eligible for some scholarships for American Indians. Some require proof.
How do I prove that my father-in-law is an American Indian? He has never belonged to a tribe.
Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:49 PM

395 posts, read 518,973 times
There is a DNA test you can do. Im not sure where to get that done, though

Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM

809 posts, read 1,323,812 times
You need documentation from the tribe that they actual are descended from. Check with the high school counselor, they should have the details available as to the exact name of the forms, etc from the tribe. Also, check with your inlaw, he make have documentation already. Good Luck.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,531,231 times
You could also try some circular proof and find information about your grandfather-in-law. Is that side of the family from Penna.?

Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
My niece tried to go through that. Each tribe has different requirements for what they classify as valid ancestrly. She is 1/4 Cherokee, so her daughters are 1/8. I believe that she discovered that Cherokee is particularly difficult, because of so much dispersal. The other difficulty arises from the fact that so many native Americans were ashamed of that ancestry, so from the first half of the 20th century, it is extremely difficult to prove that a deceased grandparent was Indian.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My niece tried to go through that. Each tribe has different requirements for what they classify as valid ancestrly. She is 1/4 Cherokee, so her daughters are 1/8. I believe that she discovered that Cherokee is particularly difficult, because of so much dispersal. The other difficulty arises from the fact that so many native Americans were ashamed of that ancestry, so from the first half of the 20th century, it is extremely difficult to prove that a deceased grandparent was Indian.
I think I am in that boat! My father-in-law has no proff, his father left the family when they were small. AND...they are cherokee.
So...I guess she'll have to get her scholarship on her brains.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,666,641 times
I've had to go through this. Just make a detailed list of your ancestry and where they are from and the BIA will do the rest.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I've had to go through this. Just make a detailed list of your ancestry and where they are from and the BIA will do the rest.
I'm sorry...what do you mean by a detailed list? Thier name? What else? And naturally they are from the USA..that's what makes them Indian, or are you referring to something else? What is the BIA??

Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM

478 posts, read 2,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I'm sorry...what do you mean by a detailed list? Thier name? What else? And naturally they are from the USA..that's what makes them Indian, or are you referring to something else? What is the BIA??
BIA = Bureau of Indian Affairs

Google it and you'll find quite a bit of info.

The others are correct, however, in that each tribe has different rules with regard to tribal registration and what criteria constitutes a tribal member. I would highly recommend contacting them as a resource.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 AM

809 posts, read 1,323,812 times
I checked with a colleague that went through this process - I was told the following information-people of Native American decent usually have a card that registered them with a tribe - or call Three Rivers Council 800-835-8120 - this is an indian affilition from what I understand that may direct you. She also stated scholarships usually require proof of decent - just like if you belonged to the Lions Club you would need to provide that proof - maybe this will help-
if not start searching for schools that give scholarships for the "brains" -off the top of my head I know DeSales and Lebanon Vally use to give almost full tuition for students in the top 10%of the class or minimum SAT score of 1150 if they don't fit into the 10% catagory.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.