Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM

395 posts, read 519,291 times

Advertisements

If they took away NOVA- Virginia would probably hardly be in the top 20!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,134,744 times
Incomes mean little...net worths are more relevant

States are big places...CT w/o Greenwich is a fairly weak, irrelevant place...

Most of the serious wealth in Greenwich today is a bunch of <50yo Jewish hedge fund guys (and other random white/Asian hedgies) who grew-up middle-class somewhere else in US....

Not many industries on planet can rival hedge fund industry for wealth creation at a young age....SiliconValley's tech industry is most direct rival...

NJ/Westchester has no hedge fund industry of note....only other regions w/significant hedge fund concentrations are Manhattan (obviously)/SF/BeverlyHills/Chicago

Old 09-20-2008, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Incomes mean little...net worths are more relevant

States are big places...CT w/o Greenwich is a fairly weak, irrelevant place...

Most of the serious wealth in Greenwich today is a bunch of <50yo Jewish hedge fund guys (and other random white/Asian hedgies) who grew-up middle-class somewhere else in US....

Not many industries on planet can rival hedge fund industry for wealth creation at a young age....SiliconValley's tech industry is most direct rival...

NJ/Westchester has no hedge fund industry of note....only other regions w/significant hedge fund concentrations are Manhattan (obviously)/SF/BeverlyHills/Chicago
90+% of the United States wealthy/high net worth population aren't even in finance so no, an area concentrated with finance guys doesn't make it the richest.

Less than 15% of the Forbes Richest Americans make their money in finance/hedge-funds and the ones who do have net worth significantly lower than self-made people who accumulate wealth from other sources such as goods, services and technology.

So, successful hedge-funders are among the scarcest and poorest of the 50+mm net worth households.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 AM

21,520 posts, read 30,932,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
CT w/o Greenwich is a fairly weak, irrelevant place..
I disagree that a town of 70,000 has that much impact on a state's economy. The town is very wealthy (with the highest wealth value in the state at over $430k per person) but many of the surrounding area towns have a significantly higher income than Greenwich (e.g. New Canaan, Darien, Weston...). I'd hardly say CT would be an irrelevant place without a single town - that's laughable. Did you know Hartford was in Connecticut, you know, that insurance capital of the nation? What about New Haven, and Yale?

I don't know why you're so obsessed with Greenwich, and refer to the town's wealth in nearly every single post.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,257,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I disagree that a town of 70,000 has that much impact on a state's economy. The town is very wealthy (with the highest wealth value in the state at over $430k per person) but many of the surrounding area towns have a significantly higher income than Greenwich (e.g. New Canaan, Darien, Weston...). I'd hardly say CT would be an irrelevant place without a single town - that's laughable. Did you know Hartford was in Connecticut, you know, that insurance capital of the nation? What about New Haven, and Yale?

I don't know why you're so obsessed with Greenwich, and refer to the town's wealth in nearly every single post.
I agree with you, and the other thing to note is that anyone who knows Greenwich understands that it's a mixture of extreme wealth and the well-to-do, but the statistics quoted reflect the perception that Greenwich is all Belle Haven and Conyers Farm, which is simply not the case. There are condominiums, multi-family homes, and cottages that are much more reasonably priced, and the town is not uniformly wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, with the surrounding areas mentioned having more uniform wealth distribution. Plus, there are people from the entertainment and media worlds who make Greenwich their home, some of whom are very wealthy and have no occupational connection with the finance industry.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-21-2008 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-21-2008, 06:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,394,018 times
Connecticut, New York and California to name a few.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,941,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL - I have many NJ friends from college. In our apartment of four, two were from NJ, two from CT. Two of the years, NJ was richest, so the Jersey kids owed us a night out where they paid for drinks. When CT was, we had to buy.

So every year we would hope that we'd be number two.
Well I hope you had a Marylander or an Alaskan in your crowd.. just in case..

Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,537,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
As per Wikipedia. Generally its either NJ, CT or MD on top, but in 2007 it was MD on top followed closely by NJ.
States ranked by median household income in order

Median Household Income by State: 2007 [1]
  1. Maryland – $68,080
  2. New Jersey – $67,035
  3. Connecticut – $65,967
  4. Alaska – $64,333
  5. Hawaii – $63,746
  6. New Hampshire – $62,369
  7. Massachusetts – $62,365
  8. California – $59,948
  9. Virginia – $59,562
  10. Minnesota – $55,082
Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source of information!!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,941,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source of information!!
Their source was the US census bureau
United States and States - R1901. Median Household Income

so in this instance yes it is

Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM

116 posts, read 445,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Really? Tell that to the people of Western Maryland the Eastern Shore as well as southern Marylanders.( The Cities of Maryland - SkyscraperCity)

People commute into D.C. from as far away as West Virginia and the Shenandoah national park region.

The vast majority of "Southern Maryland" (which I lived in for the first 18 years of my life) commutes out of the county for work. Charles county is absolutely unsustainable without commuters. Last I checked 40% of the county's working population commutes outside of the county for employment purposes.

Furthermore, those that don't commute out of the far flung regions of Maryland into D.C. are dependant upon those that do for survival. Either they are mooching off of their spouse who makes more money in D.C. or they are providing services at a relatively low wage for those that work in D.C. (child care, real estate, retail, etc.).

Prove me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.