Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

I like Houston and Dallas. My cousin had 2 job offers, 1 in Seattle and the other in Houston. For some reason Houstons' offer was $8000 more. Houston is big, diverse, fun with great restaurants, an up and coming downtown, culture, great shopping plus its near the Gulf. Housing cost is so cheap imo. Also compared to other big cities you can find reasonably priced housing close to downtown or uptown. Not way out in the middle of nowhere. Hot and humid summers but mild nice falls and winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
I was thinking the same. I just applied for two jobs, one paying $32.5k a year and the other $38k a year. Both are in south FL and I cant afford to stay nor do I want to. I can work for the time being while looking for jobs in a location like Dallas. Houses are very affordable, small older houses can be had for $50k and huge new houses for $150k to $200k.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times
I would say Des Moines (with high paying insurance jobs and a very low cost of housing might be one city like that)

Also, Rochester, Minnesota with its highly payed medical jobs and low cost of living is another one.

I would also add unionized heavily manufacturing cities to this such as: Appleton (Wisconsin) Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Wichita (Kansas) these cities have low population growth, so lots of housing available and a low cost of living and at the same time lots of highly payed unionized jobs.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Cincinnati, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio
These cities have a very low cost of living and have jobs that are fairly high paying compared to the national average but the unemployment rates tend to be rather high in these 3 cities

Old 02-17-2007, 04:17 PM

226 posts, read 999,590 times
Nebraska and Texas have low cost of living, and cheap homes, but their taxes will get you.
My brother lives right outside of Houston in a 380 thousand dollar house and pays $8,000 a year in taxes.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
Nebraska and Texas have low cost of living, and cheap homes, but their taxes will get you.
My brother lives right outside of Houston in a 380 thousand dollar house and pays $8,000 a year in taxes.

Then he could sell that house and get a cheaper house and pay a third in taxes. He lives in an upper class house when $100-150k will get you a nice big middle class house. $380k is insane!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 27,113 times
Default Good area

I live in Lafayette, IN and I would consider the job opportunities to be good and the housing is certainly reasonable! You can get a NICE house here for under $200,000 easy. Lots of jobs available with Purdue and companies like Eli Lilly, Catapillar, and Subaru/Toyota are all in Lafayette. I also love that we have 4 seasons a year and are an hours drive to Indianapolis and about 2 hours from Chicago. I don't really know what more you could ask for! But then again, I'm Indiana born and raised so I'm a little biased.

Ashley

Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,163 times
I would check out Atlanta and Richmond, VA. Atlanta is a popular destination as it has lots of jobs in many industries.

Richmond has quite a few corporations with campuses in the suburbs and its small downtown. It has its share of cute historical places and cobble stone streets and nice little neighborhoods where you can get a house within walking distance to places. It's not a big city by any means, and there are some really pretty areas there if you like trees and rolling hills. I had friends that lived close to one of their major malls in a very woodsy area, which still was very close to everything and to the river and it was a very affordable house. You can have a good standard of living there and the weather is pretty mild. There are seasons and still some snow in winter, but it's not that cold as Northeast and Midwest and summers although hot and humid aren't as long as Sunbelt. It's also close to DC and Virginia Beach which is quite nice for a day trip (if you are willing to deal with traffic of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.