Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:32 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times

Advertisements

Well, once a month Jackie the Exterminator comes to my house and creates this little Zone Of Death. Then he spends a half-hour regaling me about how many housewives benefit from the monthly application of his Rod of Power. If 10% of what the man tells me is true, then he lays more pipe than a civil engineering firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 03:54 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,982,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, once a month Jackie the Exterminator comes to my house and creates this little Zone Of Death. Then he spends a half-hour regaling me about how many housewives benefit from the monthly application of his Rod of Power. If 10% of what the man tells me is true, then he lays more pipe than a civil engineering firm.
LOL

...Did he fix the cable?

Old 09-24-2008, 04:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,142,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Then he spends a half-hour regaling me about how many housewives benefit from the monthly application of his Rod of Power
Im sure maaaaany a housewife have benefitted from his "rod of power", especially if their husbands were at work (if you know what I mean).

Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 PM

23,332 posts, read 43,799,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im sure maaaaany a housewife have benefitted from his "rod of power", especially if their husbands were at work (if you know what I mean).
LOL His motto: Rids the Bugs, Leaves the Crabs.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM

395 posts, read 519,715 times
Well, Lawdy, Lawdy! We just sit around with a big 'ol fly swapper on the porch.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,761,642 times
I've never seen a scorpion in the wild. We did just have a salamander in the house. My cat killed it.

You just learn to deal with stuff like that and not make it a big deal.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 PM

769 posts, read 2,225,579 times
i know I could condition myself and learn more info about these bugs like Steve-O said, but getting rid of my phobia won't happen overnight. Anyway, it seems like many posters in this thread don't experience them that often (excluding the one who posted the scorpion pic), but that doesn't mean they don't get in houses a lot down there.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,549,188 times
I thought I was reading on some other threads that areas where new construction has been built are worse for scorpions than older neighborhoods. The theory is that in the construction of the houses they dig up the earth and displace the scorpions and they are then looking for a new home, trying to get in to yours.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,010,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There's really nothing to be afraid of. The only 3 bugs that are a concern in the south are brown recluse spiders (which dont kill you), black widows (which a bite from one is pretty rare considering how plentiful they are--and its NOT a sure death sentence like many think it is), and cockroaches, which can spread disease if left unchecked. Scorpions are all over this country (even in southern IL), and the only one that is POTENTIALLY life threatening is the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus). If people would take a little time to research the critters they are so afraid of, they might learn a thing or two and get over their silly phobias.

Snakes? Venomous snakes inhabit all but 4 states, so its not like youre immune to them in that manner. Even then, snakes are very reclusive, they want nothing to do with you. If you get bit its probably because you reached under or around something and didnt check first or were harassing the snake or accidentally stepped on one. Even then, your chances of dying from a snakebite are extremely slim, theyre not the monsters everyone makes them out to be. The real monsters are mosquitos and rodents, the ultimate killing machines. Whats funny is that the things people truly are afraid of (spiders and snakes) are actually our friends and dispatch the dangerous creatures by the millions everyday.
A friend of mine got bit by a brown recluse and fortunately had no reaction.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,965,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
A friend of mine got bit by a brown recluse and fortunately had no reaction.
A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse and was in intensive care for three weeks. He had necrosis, and had to spend long sessions in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. And he was a big strapping guy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.