Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
L.A. isn't really one city. It's many little cities, and they're all different. Venice, Hollywood, Larchmont, Santa Monica-- they all have their own vibe. And Inglewood, Compton and Koreatown, they have theirs, too.

But the city most like L.A. is Washington, D.C. They are both, at heart, one-industry towns, with all the power, prestige and elitistism that produces. They are filled with the ruthlessly ambitious and the unrelentingly hopeful from all over the world, who come in droves because they believe they're special. Some are; some aren't, and both of these uber-competitive towns are unkind to those who can't rise above the starry-eyed masses. In the middle, you have the strivers, desperately grabbing for their shot at the brass ring; then, at the bottom, you have the never-hads and never-wills. Both of these cities have some of the world's greatest diversity, as well as the greatest disparity between the few at the top and the many at the bottom, and both cities are perennially transient, as those in the middle eventually give up and leave, making way for a new busload of those who dare to dream. And both cities have strong racial undertones brewing just below the surface, though not of the same kind.

I've lived and built careers in both cities and I've loved them both. You just don't find that kind of energy, intensity and undiverted focus any place else, not even NYC.
You act as if LA's living in the Roaring 20s. I got news for ya, America will never see anything like the Roaring 20s again. If it's one city that's close to it, it's New York. Our immigration has doubled in percentage since the 70s and close to passing the immigrant percentage from the 1920s.

New York is the epitome of urban energy. It's not New York who lacks LA's energy, it's LA who lacks New York's energy. Who wants to walk through a city and see rows of tiny houses on tiny lots with chain-link fences? Uh, not an urbanite. LA's intensity is a walk through the park for a New Yorker. That's why NYers move to LA and are able to live there doing well, but only a baby's handful of people stay or retire in NYC... Most move out after a few years or less. But we get new ones to replace them who do the same thing. People move to NYC for the experience, people move to LA to settle down and retire there.

You're arguing "diversity" when 46.5% of yuor population is Hispanic. You're claiming "achieving dreams" when about .00000000000000000000000001% of the people who try to make it big will never succeed. Making it big was never strictly limited to a Hollywood film set. "Making it" really means getting a job, educating yourself, getting involved in big business, big money, etc. New York and Miami are the premier night clubbing scenes of America. People move to NYC and Miami to make it big. Most bands begin in New York from clubs, bars, street performers, etc. That's where the "scouts" are sent.

Watch, I'm now the ***hole of this thread. Guaranteed. But I'm ready. I can handle it. If one kid can handle pressure, it's a Northeastern kid.

Last edited by Futcha; 09-29-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Not to mention that the Hispanic population is really just Mexican.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:34 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not to mention that the Hispanic population is really just Mexican.
If I remember correctly, about 41% of that is Mexican. Watch them all call me racist now. I'm not racist at all. I have Hispanic friends so they can throw that comeback out the window. It's simply stating the facts that they fail to accept.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
If I remember correctly, about 41% of that is Mexican. Watch them all call me racist now. I'm not racist at all. I have Hispanic friends so they can throw that comeback out the window. It's simply stating the facts that they fail to accept.
I dont know how people can even use Hispanic population as an argument for diversity in LA, when 41% of it is Mexican. If anything, it makes it undiverse.

I'm Hispanic myself and I hate when white america thinks all Hispanics are Mexicans. When people in California run into a spanish speaking person, the first question they ask is "What part of Mexico are you from?" and when you tell them you're not Mexican they say "Well then how do you know spanish?"

Old 09-29-2008, 02:50 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
SuperMario, FutureCop, and other NYers enjoy Oilpainter and MKasLA's comical and dramatic monologues about LA's greatness in this world. I like both because they remind me of Xerxes from 300. To my LA people, I am not bashing your city but y'all really don't have anything on NY; I'm just a kid from Atlanta so this is unbiased. The folks from up North can just come South for the beaches (FLA, SC, NC, Coastal GA, etc) or stay where they're at. Oilpainter you know you messed up when said that y'all have unmatched diversity (not your exact words but close enough), you can't claim East Coast bias when others point out your error. I agree with FutureCop's first post on here regarding LA, again no hate here.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
I honestly love LA's suburbs. I wish Long Island would have the type of housing Orange County and etc do.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Racist.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
The top 2 cities in my opinion are NYC and LA. San Francisco and Chicago are 3rd and 4th.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Between crime, cost of living, 7.5% unemployment rate and the nations worst air quality I will have to say no. I think LA has most, if not all other cities beat.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:19 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
The top 2 cities in my opinion are NYC and DC, Chicago and Houston are 3 and 4. LA is about 19th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.