Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Here are some images I found of Greenspoint (they were taken by a forum member on what might be considered a competing site, so I can't link directly to the collection). These shots make it look like a very low density, office park district, with very little urban cohesion or walkable areas.

\
That says nothing about the area. Sure you can display a few pics from the parking lot of a mall but that proves nothing. Greenspoint is more than just what you see from the mall parking lot.

Greenspoint has one of the largest concentration of businesses in the Houston area. It may have been a suburb in the 50's but now it's an urban area that is vital to the Houston economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 PM

I can't believe I'm defending Greenspoint and Sharpstown. Those are the two most dangerous areas of Houston and very unsightly. Westchase is nice but I wouldn't be caught in Greenspoint or Sharpstown after dark.

I'm thinking that's why I'm seeing it as being urban. I'll back off on the argument because the last thing i want to do is take up for those two areas.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I know you're sticking up for the city you love and I respect that. But again, Sharpstown and Greenspoint are not urban. I'll say it again. Urbanity is judged by the street level, not the air. Those pictures do reflect greenspoint perfectly. Office parks surrounded by a sea of asphalt with little connectivity to neighborhoods and not friendly pedestrian areas. Sharpstown is the same way. Now urban Houston hoods would be Rice Village, Downtown Houston, even 3rd ward is more urban. The TMC is a budding urban community.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know you're sticking up for the city you love and I respect that. But again, Sharpstown and Greenspoint are not urban. I'll say it again. Urbanity is judged by the street level, not the air. Those pictures do reflect greenspoint perfectly. Office parks surrounded by a sea of asphalt with little connectivity to neighborhoods and not friendly pedestrian areas. Sharpstown is the same way. Now urban Houston hoods would be Rice Village, Downtown Houston, even 3rd ward is more urban. The TMC is a budding urban community.
I love Rice Village. It's the only area of Houston that I would leave Uptown for. The only problem is that I work Uptown so it just makes the most sense to live there too. But Rice Village has all the bars and pedestrian shopping.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Sorry, but Dallas? What about New York, Chicago, and San Francisco for the best? I've got nothing against Dallas but to see you put it at number one for shopping and food and such is surprising.
Outside of New York, Dallas has perhaps the best shopping in the nation (although I'm not a shopper). As for food, you can find ANYTHING in the DFW area.

People that come here on business from New York are surprised at the vast variety of food in the DFW area.

I don't know if it's 2nd or 3rd, but I'll bet you that DFW is close.. Don't knock it until you've visited and tried out the places in the DFW (especially Dallas) area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.